1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions plz. for buying car...

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ItsMeSuja, Apr 13, 2006.

1. ItsMeSuja

ItsMeSuja New IL'ite

Hi All

We came to US one and half months back. We really find it difficult without a car. Hence we are planning to buy a car so that it would be useful till the time we stay in the US...

Pls. could you give me suggestions for buying the car like the brand name, dealer name etc., Also pls. let me know if second car would be good. If we go in for second hand car, which range would be better suited so that it would not give any problems later...

Pls. let me know...

Thanks in advance
    Sujatha

2. Leo

Leo New IL'ite

Dear Sujatha,

True life comes to a standstill without a car. Firstly depending on how long u want to stay in the US, u cud decide whether to buy a new car or an old one. I do not have much knowledge about buying new cars, but cud tell u a few things if u r going for a second hand one.

Frankly I feel u can go in for a second hand one as it would fit into anybody's budget. For a second hand car u can go to dealers or go to sites like carmax.com and see for cars. But one thing with the dealer is that they charge a little more than individual sellers. If u want to buy thru an individual u cud browse through some local sites where they post ads for cars in Atlanta, u cud also see this http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/

If u r buying thru an individual(or dealer), look at the car nicely, do a test drive, see the mileage( the lesser mileage the better) ask for the Vehicle Identification Number(VIN) so that u cud track the history of the car w.r.t accidents etc. Basically do a thorough check.

Dont take quick decisions, do some research, plan ur budget and come to conclusions. I and my husband prefer Honda or Toyota models, again it is left to ur choice.

Good luck with ur car hunt.

Love,
    Leo

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Suja

Since you are new to the US,I presume you will not be having anything much called credit history.When your credit score is low,you will be charged higher while purchasing a car/SUV/Van etc.So you will have to keep this in mind while looking out for a car.

Secondly from personal experience as well as from listening to others,I feel that an used car(second hand) is the best to go for initially.If you buy a brand new car,the moment you take it from your dealer,it's value depreciates immensely.Then,when you try to sell it afterwards,you will not get much in return.

Then you can consider either buying an used card or leasing a brand new car.I am really not clear on how the leasing thing works,but I have heard that it is equally good.

We are ourselves looking out to buying a van now in addition to our first car(our first one is a Honda Accord).Yes,as you said,most Indians prefer Toyota or Honda because these brands are reliable.But if you are going to stay in US only for a short while,would suggest you go for one of the US brands like Ford,Dodge etc.These work out cheaper and are good cars.

Also,look at the mileage that the car gives.When you go in for a used car,check on the previous usage history also.If lets say,the car is a 2005 model,and it has been used a lot,whereas ,you have a 2003 model but used lesser,go for the 2003 model.

Happy car hunting...(I can tell you it is not very easy in the US to hunt for a car,there are just too many models!)

Cheers

4. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

buying a car

hi suja

as my dear frnds said it depends to buy a new or an old one depende on how long u want to stay here.its better to check history for accidents etc.don't go for an accidental one.
    if u r buying an old one,go to a mechanic.mec will inspect each n every part n charge u some money.in this way u come to know if there is some problem in engine or in other parts.
    honda n toyota indians like most.but we go for mittushbishi as we don't want to stay here for more.it is working good.low milage will b good as when u will sell it every body will go for low milage.
    thanx n best of luck for a good search
    sonia

5. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I prefer as many other Indians, Only Toyota or Honda. While we used to take rental car I almost drove many american cars. But Toyota and Honda are the best and they lead the rating in midsize and compact cars. They give the best driving comfort.

You can very well get in www.carmax.com It is very reliable.

If you want to research more, you can refer Kelly`s blue book, it is bible to cars.
    It will give you all the informations you want, and you can decide according to that.

Best wishes for car hunting!

6. ItsMeSuja

ItsMeSuja New IL'ite

Thanks for sugg...

Thanks Leo, sunitha, sonia and vidhya for all the suggestions you have given me...They are really valuable and would help me in buying a car.

Thanks once again
    With warm regards
    Sujatha