1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for treating Hypothyroidism

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by vennila, Jan 28, 2006.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Please let me know what are the normal or desired levels for T3, T4 and TSH?
    I am suffering from extreme tiredness these days, unable to lose weight and frequently feeling upset, depressed etc.
    So i am going to do health checkup including thyroid tests shortly, I want to know what are the normal levels?
    And above what level of TSH is considered to be hypothyroidism?

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you are TTC your TSH should be maintained at 1.00. The scale goes upto 4.5 for normal limits. If your numbers fall within this range and the doctor says its normal tell them you are TTC and you need it to lower. My clinic has a cut off of 2.5 for starting fertility treatments, but the lower number is advisable.

1 person likes this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Thanks Malstrom, I was unaware of this...
    May I know why the TSH should be maintained at 1.00 for ladies who are TTC?
    If the TSH level is between 3 to 4, it will be within normal levels, but does it cause any problem in conceiving naturally? After conceiving will this TSH level cause any issues in pregnancy, and will the gynaec prescribe any thyroid medications during pregnancy?

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I am not sure of the exact science behind the 1.00 TSH reading, just that it is optimal for fertility. Plenty of women do conceive with the readings higher but in normal range. Normal thyroid in the mother is important for the proper development of the fetus in early pregnancy. Some women experience a rise in TSH after becoming pregnant. The on-gyn should monitor thyroid and make sure the levels are within range at all times.

1 person likes this.
  5. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Oh ok.. Actually a friend of mine who is TTC got her thyroid levels checked some months back, that time it was 3.8..now it's 3.4 ..The 2 gynaecs whom she had consulted did not mention anything about her thyroid levels and did not ask her to take any thyroid medications even though she specifically mentioned that she was TTC..I wonder why some doctors ask women to maintain TSH as 1 and some do not bother as long as its in normal range.
    Is a TSH of 3 and above such a cause of concern?

6. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

I am not sure of the values however the levels are always written in the lab's normal range. Then we need to know what units it is stated. However whenever the TSH is within the normal range and the T3 ,4 are also normal range then it should be ok.
    within the normal range is what is required to come to diagnosis. TSH raises in hypothyroidism. When it is normal no need to take medications. If hypothyroid then needs correction with medications and definitely will have to continued into pregnancy. Hypothyroidism does cause problems with TTC. However no need to worry it is one of the easy correctable causes.

1 person likes this.
  7. ravikanth

ravikanth New IL'ite

Hi
    My mother is suffering from thyroid problem from last 3 months,she use to take thyronium 50 gm tablet early morning in empty stomach.so please tell me if any best ayurvedic treatment,her age 53

8. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Hi
    As your mother is already started with thyroxine the doctor would have checked her thyroid status and would have started.
    I think you should test the thyroid function levels 3 months after the intial starting of therapy. Once the levels are stabilised then check it every 6 months. If there is any change or increase in the dose of the drug then recheck 3 months time. Once started mostly they continue for prolonged periods unless the TFT overshoots and they might stop it.
    I am not sure of any alternative therapy.

9. sunita1211

sunita1211 Silver IL'ite

yes excitement and eagerness is a big side effect of Hypo - thyroidism,