1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions for homemade curd

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by priyadeendak, May 8, 2015.

1. priyadeendak

priyadeendak New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I recently moved to New jersey/Parsippany area..i was able to make homemade curd when i was initially staying in a hotel in NJ..but after i moved to an apartment, i ve been trying to make it but failed all the time..

i tried with whole milk from various stores and desi curd with high/low fat combinations but failed all 8 times..not able to figure out what is the issue..

as i recently moved, i do not have friends yet in apartment neighbourhood..can anybody suggest if u r able to make curd at home successfully in NJ..welcome your tips..thanks:)

2. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

@priyadeendak ,

May be your curd did not set due to the climate. Since it is spring and summer following, I think you should succeed...:2thumbsup:

3. PavithraS

PavithraS Platinum IL'ite

@priyadeendak ,

Hi priya, When I moved to USA from India I got my own home made curd in a small container for making my own curd ideasmiley .I would suggest if it is possible seek out for a desi neighbor who is already making curd at home. Dumb is not it.:biggrin2:
    I use normal whole milk ( vitamin D) for this. Boil milk and let it cool down for some time. If you put curd to very hot milk, it won't come out properly. The end product will be sticky, water on top and even smelly.
    It will happen even if you put curd when the milk has gone too cold. The milk should be in warm temperature, slightly more than Luke warm and lot lesser than brimming hot.
    When you put curd in to the milk , make sure you give the milk a thorough stir with ladle so that the curd gets mingled well.
    If there is a chance of sunlight inside your home, keep the vessel basking in it.

The trick is in the temperature of milk and amount of curd you put in it for setting. Be liberal and use say 1 table spoon for 1/2 liter milk for fist time setting.

Hope this time you succeed.
    All the best,
    Regards,
    Pavithra.

P.S If the curd you use for setting is a little sour, not too sour and smelly, it helps.
    Once you succeed in setting of curd, you may set aside a small amount of curd for next time setting.

4. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Continue to make it a few times until you get the desired result. Initial 2-3 times it would be quite watery and will not set right. Taste would still be good.Each time take the newly made curd sample to make another batch. Eventually you will get the desired consistency. I tried this method with Gopi brand yogurt as my initial starter and full fat milk . Be generous in adding the yogurt . Try to keep it in the oven overnite. Hope this helps. I have been successful by following this repetition method.

5. priyadeendak

priyadeendak New IL'ite

thanks for ur suggestions..:)

i am used to making this homemade curd for few years...so I do not doubt the procedure at this time..as pavithra suggested, will try to get help from desi friend in apt neighbourhood..

1 person likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I always put it in the oven with the light turned on for setting during the cold months. If I don't it gets watery. I use the local dahi from Indian store itself for the first culture.

7. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

My mother used to make a lot of yogurt/curd and because of the NE temps got tired of failures so she bought one of the electric curd machines which keep temps even and always had good success with it.