1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion Please - Sil Life Is Becoming Hell Because Of Her Ils

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Priya4oct, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Ladies,

Here is recent update on my SIL. She has continued her pregnancy and DD is 30 march. At home, life became worse and no improvement till now. However, their is no physical torture but lot of mental torture. No one speaks to her including her husband. Some time mil open her mouth but with weird question and suggestion. For example, once she said you will have your own identity if you stay with my son else there is no identity of single woman. She works in a leading bank so last couple of days were really hectic for her, was stretching bank until midnight. Once her MIL called and told what are you doing till midnight out of home and she answered politely but her MIL was still calling her every day. Finally She answered , I am doing same work what your son is doing in his bank.

Update from our side - Me and DH are going to her city in Feb 1st week (she wants to stay till then and see situation) and pick her. All reservations are done for this. We have also planned to bring her permanently if situation doesn't improve and she agreed this time. She has also raised her transfer request with HR and hope she will get it before going to ML. She informed her husband on transfer request and seems he informed his mother. Mother called me next day and was blaming my SIL for all situation. Once I started her answering back, she cut the phone and didn't receive my phone again.

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Dear all,

here is recent update and we are looking for some advise. My SIL gave birth to beautiful doll at our home. She is with my ILs since last 3 months. There was no call from her husband or ILs till her delivery. Me and my DH took leave to take care of her. When I my DH requested her husband to be with her atleast during her labor time, he said..i'll see but never came. Later on my FIL called her FIL to give good news and he got very neutral reaction (just 'OK' and hung phone). On 3rd day of her delivery, BIL and his mother came to visit her in hospital that too they stayed just for 30 min. While going her MIL said "You are my DIL and if you want to come, doors are open" that's it. after that no call till now (it is 24 days) neither from her DH or anyone from family.

This monday she called her husband to discuss their future. Initially he cut her phone for 3 time and 4th time when picked up, instead of asking about her..he directly asked - why did you call me?. When she told that I want to discuss our future and he told...I dont care about you or your daughter. Both of you go to hell. Seems there was heated argumnet for 3 hrs between them and all time BIL was blaming my SIL that she coudnt obey his mother and sister. And he didn want to stay in this marriage but just stayed as his mother asked. Even he didnt want to visit them in hospital..it is because of his sister asked.

So now my SIL wants to get rid of him but want to teach a lesson to his mother. She is saying thay I'll stay in there home for 1 month and will teach them (which is big no no to us as we cant trust on such people).

Me and DH are planning to file a case against them (Dowry and harassment) as it seems dowry is one of the reason of harrasment. They never told her directly but always taunted like xyz got this much dowry and your beggar parents didnt give us. Our plan is -

1, File a case with point a. Dowry - they taunted her many time. There was a FD on her name which she did before marriage with her sal and her FIL immediatly asked to break it and took all money. Husband forced her to transfer all her sal to MIL name as FD.
    b. BIL has only one kidney which they never told us. When my DH confronted , her FIL said I have no idea. However this weekend my BILs grand father visited us to see kid and confirmed that even he knows it.
    c. He is drunkard, which we came to know only after 6 month of marriage. My DH had asked me clearly before marriage but he told 'No'
    d. None of the family member accompanied her to Dr visit during pregnancy or sickness.

Please suggest if these points can help. We are also searching a good family lawyer in our home town to make case strong. We really want them behind bar. Girl who was always famous for her smile has forgot how to smile.

3. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

dear priya,
    its too late for that but this whole problem could have been resolved more easily without a kid in the picture. yes, you can go to court, put them behind bars, get divorce, even custody but a child is going to grow up with an absentee and cruel father.. in our society not enough thought is given to the moral responsibility of bringing a child into this world. I feel sorry for your sil, but when she had you and your husbands support she should have not given so many chances to that worthless family.

sindmani likes this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Looks like there is no hope in this marriage. Your SIL would be much better on her own than exposing herself and her tiny kid in that enviroment. More so, it is not the right time to teach a lesson or fight with them.
    If she is clear that she can't live with this man, and it is not worth it, she should leave him gracefully.
    They may be pigs and dwelling in mud, but your SIL should not go down to their level to fight. It is not worth it.

If there is no absolute dowry harrasment, and no proof, I don't think it is a good idea to fake a case. The above pointers are not so strong to fight against.
    If she has a proof of sending her salary to MIL's FD, she might talk to a lawyer about this point.

There is nothing to talk to them when they sound very clear in their stand. Even if you try to patch up the couple, there is no hope the basic matters change.

If divorce may be draining for now, she might wait a bit. But consult a lawyer and see what is the right way to go about.
    She needs loads of peace as a new mom. Let her bond with her newborn for now. After a while, be a helping hand, so that she can concentrate on her career and build herself up.
    She has a kid now. It is important that she stays with utmost peace and healthy for the kid.
    Any toxic influence should be kept out of her life, even if that comes from her husband.

5. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Dear Op,

Your sil is very brave ...her IL and husband are hopeless
    ...please DO NOT send her back ....she can teache them a lesson once she is recovered from.delivery,pls.tc of her n her baby...

You could have filed a case a long long time ago....

Nevertheless its not too late somehow I.feel.if she goes back.safety of her and her baby are very big concern...

Pls do.not send her ..get good lawyer and put a case

6. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op, Congrats on the cutie. Leopards don't change color. The whole family of BIL is criminal minded. Seriously, The FD's were your SIL's hardwork. Her FIL asked her to break it and took money and still he doesn't know his wife-daughter's abuse.Why didn't she stop the marriage and walk away immediately. The whole family is scheming, money hungry people. I have a feeling they married your SIL becoz she has a good job . Not to mention big blinking sign of dowry. The BIL has no interest in your SIL yet he easily made her pregnant. If he was so disinterested he shud have refrained from physical contact.

Your SIL is also evading the big question- When to file for divorce. If nobody accompanied her to check up's logical thing wud have been to get an abortion.What did her FIL do in name of making amends. He is an equal partner in all crimes happening under his eyes. He is shedding fake emotion by telling he doesn't know whats happening.

Seriously, the BIL has only 1 kidney and his dad doesn't know. What nonsense? They are all pally with each other to abuse your SIL. No wonder the single SIL cant get married. She has heart of gold and will make somebody a miserable wife.

Your SIL is lost and feels she can save her marriage in small way. Or she might be scared of society. She has to punish them by filing Dowry Harrasment case. She needs closure and you all shud force her hand to do it. Otherwise this is a dead issue which will keep dragging and make everybody miserable.Her husband is spineless and that fact wont change anytime soon.Cut her losses and punish the IL's family for spoiling her life.Reality is nothing will change by waiting. Your SIL has to realise it.Good Luck.

Sunshine04 likes this.
  7. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Dear Shreema, We tried to save her marriage before kid and we were ready to support her in any of the discussion. Unfortunately, we were not aware about her situation other than some here and there issue and assurance from SIL and her DH. Most of things we came to know this last august when she came to our home but that time she was pregnant. Even I suggest her to abort baby and leave that home but she still had hope.
    Thansk SGBV, I also have similar opinion and want her to get separated from this kinda toxic enivironment.Regarding dowry, it is not false case..every morning, night her MIL, SIL and DH were taunting her (isn't metal harassment?) that your father didnt give us. We spent 15-20 lakh in her marriage and thought it is last marriage in our family for now, so should be best. Even they asked only a good marriage (we hired their vehicle DJ etc as they didnt have any connection in our place (it is their native too). Everything given to them were best (like furniture were best in the shop, gift to IL family etc). Even during her recent discussion with DH, he told my SIL, your brother took car from his IL ( it was for my DH and there was no demand from DH for any thing. It was from my brother side and he still says whatever is in this home (belong to dad) is for all of us (me and my brothers) and didnt give me even a cycle.
    Thanks dear..no way..this time i'll not let her go alone. I clearly told her..even you force us..we will not let you go with kid. My DH has already spoke to one of his friend who is a good lawyer and from NLM. We are just waiting for another month so that first she recover from her C-section.

Thanks dear..my whole family is just disturbed because of them. She was youngest and most loving girl in the family. We definitely want to punish them..they spoiled her life and dont want them to spoil any one else life. Her MIL is one who spoiled her FIL and MILs life and forced her husband to separate from all her relative. Unfortunately, we came to know this after marriage and didnt take it seriously. My SIL noticed this while staying with them that they do not have any relation with their relatives or extended family.

8. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Dear OP,
    Thats so nice of you thinking so much about your SIL . You are thinking about her like your own kid.
    But be careful and do not try to push your decisions on her. Later it may come on you.
    Usually people like you SIL who are going thru hard times, unable to take decisions in their own stress, they depend and look for guidance from siblings, family etc. However if they get more troubles, they end up blaming them for all their problems.
    Guide and suggest her, do only after her complete agreement.
    Let your husband handle it, you dont get too involved.

You should use more of your time on your kids.
    Definitely its right decision to file case on her husband and MIL. who are thinking your SIL and you guys cant do anything. But do it with SIL agreement.
    do let us know, how the things are going

yellowmango likes this.