Suggestion Needed - Wedding Shopping Kolkata

Discussion in 'North Eastern and Eastern States' started by shilpabh, Jun 18, 2009.

1. shilpabh

shilpabh New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,
    This forum is quite informative. I am getting married in Nov 2009 and am from Hyderabad. Currently I am living in USA and have never been to Kolkata. I am north indian but born and brought up in Hyd.

I have heard from many people that Wedding Saree's, Ghagra's and jewellery is cheaper in Kolkata because of cheap labor. Not sure to what extent this is true. Lots of store's here in Hyd say that they get their saree's from Kolkata.

Would appreciate your advice as we are thinking between shopping in Kolkata or Jaipur. (I am looking for fancy work, not banarsi saree/silk saree).

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Shilpa

2. mousumi4ever

mousumi4ever New IL'ite

Hello Shilpabh,
    You are right that wedding saree, ghagra and jwellery is cheaper in Kolkata. You will get whatever you want to regarding fancy marriage attires and accessories in the Burrabazar Area. There are some great shops in Girish Park area on Central Avenue for fancy sarees. You can also drop at Gariahat Market.

You can check out there and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Try it out and let me know.
    Bye,
    Mousumi

3. shilpabh

shilpabh New IL'ite

Thanks Mousumi for replying. I will be in India year ending. Another question I have for you, is entire Kolkatta closed during Navaratri and Diwali? We were planning to be there by Sept 2nd week.

Again, appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Shilpa

4. mousumi4ever

mousumi4ever New IL'ite

Hi Shilpa,
    I think some of the shopes would remain closed on 28th Sept (it's the final day of DuRga Puja out here). Other than that the shops would stay open and work extra hours during this peak season.
    Bye, Mousumi

5. pooja78

pooja78 New IL'ite

hi shilpa....i'm basicly frm asansol that is very close to kolkatta..but i hav quite good idea abt shopping in kolkatta. in fact my sis is also gettin married this nov n we would be searching good shops. i would love to help...som good saree shops are in roland road the names are pitambari, swat, ecru, aura,then there is one next to foroum its called simaya....there r so many in case u need more pls feel free.
    bye
    pooja