Suggested food for intake after delivery at hospital (in India)

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by MrsSasi, Oct 27, 2009.

1. MrsSasi

MrsSasi New IL'ite

Hi All,

My due date is nearing and may be admitted in hospital anytime soon. Meanwhile, I've a query on what hospital foods are safe to take immediately after delivery. I'm not sure if my hospital provides any dish specific for post delivery wards and I would like to be prepared incase they dont.

Since my mom is going to accompany me in the hospital, it is not possible for us to prepare food from home and take to hospital daily. I dont want her to take additional strain on top of taking care of me at the hospital.

Is it ok to have just idly and rice with dhal for the whole period? Iam planning to avoid any form of oily food like dosai and spicy chutneys. Can I have a good course of milk and fruits to supplement the nutritional needs? Is it ok to take yogurt. Please help. I think on an average it would be 5-7 days of hospital stay and I would like to be prepared for this.

Thanks in advance.:bowdown

2. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

hello Sasi,
    Congratulations on your preganancy.
    Well, you have a valid question. Yes, as moms usually accompany us during hospital stay, so can't really go home and cook food. Most of the maternity hospitals provide food as per post delivery demands.
    And you have to take food as per your gynic's advice. As for I know, there is no hard and fast rule any mode of delivery, you can have any foods but with less oil/spicy.
    Atleast in Normal delivery, you can have any food,
    But you need to be a bit cautious on foods which will impact baby's health like avoiding any cold items or heat generated items. As your mom will be there probably she will give you best guidence what to and what not to.

Also in most of the hospitals, if its a normal delivery you can be discharged on 2nd day or max 3rd day.
    Dont be stressed thinking about it. Have a safe delivery And all the best!!!

3. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mrs.Sasi,

All the best for your delivery. I asked my mom and she asked to avoid oily foods/spicy foods- As Priya mommy mentioned !!

Soon after you deliver you will start to BF so take care of food items.

4. PadmaL

PadmaL Senior IL'ite

Dear Mrs Sasi,

Congrats on your pregnancy. How is little one? He or she?

If you are going to breast feed yr child thn its good to eat rice and cheese and drink milk. My midwife told me to eat rice cuz contain carbohydrate which will help you to produce more milk. Please avoid anything spices and oily.

Enjoy yourself being new mum and take care.

Cheers
    PadmaL

5. aparnag

aparnag Platinum IL'ite

hi sasi
    congrats on your pregnancy
    avoid oily and spicy foods...
    if you have a normal delivery you can be back home on 3rd day
    all the best

6. MrsSasi

MrsSasi New IL'ite

Hi all, Thanks a lot for your suggestions.:bowdown
    I shall keep a note of all these while taking food post delivery.:)

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Sasi,

I second Priya Mommy. Your mother will be your best guide.

If the delivery is normal you can have most of the items. Try and avoid potatoes and brinjal till your stitches heal. Also cold raw foods like salads and curds are best avoided. Mostly my mother told me that raw food will give you cold. I was advised to have apple. Usually we even avoid fermented food like idlis, dosas etc. but in my hospital they did serve all this and since I was nursing, I ate without bothering anything since I was very hungry and did not want to bother my mother like you mentioned for preparing food for me.

I had a dietician and advised her about my diet in consultation with my mother. Its just four days you will be at the hospital there is no point making a fuss about it.

8. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi Sasi

Agree with Priya Mommy and Lee.
    Take care ....

thanks
    Ramya

9. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

How many days after delivery can we have deep fried foods?Sorry odd question,I am on diet for past 2 months because of GD and wanted to know :)