studying MS on H4 status

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sujjianand, Mar 23, 2013.

1. sujjianand

sujjianand New IL'ite

Hi,

I want to study MS on H4 status. Could somebody tell me how to proceed and what are the requirements. (Do I need to give GRE and TOEFL to study at the state Universities) currently, I'm living in PA.

thanks
    sujji

2. hgulla

hgulla Silver IL'ite

Yes, in general with people for whom English is not a native language TOEFL is required. GRE or GMAT depends on the program you are interested, Engg and CS require GRE, MBA and MIS require GMAT.

What you need to watch out for is application deadlines, as is you would have missed the boat for Fall 2013, your best bet would be Spring 2014 or Fall 2014. Every University will have a graduate adviser or an undergraduate adviser, talk/email to them, they will not only guide you on the programs, will also tell you about the tuition/application deadlines etc.

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  3. sujjianand

sujjianand New IL'ite

thanks for the useful information.

4. manayay14

manayay14 New IL'ite

thanks for the useful information.

5. internet

internet Silver IL'ite

also to add to the above advice every university will have a Summer intake which usually starts from 3 rd week of May..you can also join the summer term ..Summer term is different from Fall/Spring becoz it is a short term and usually less number of courses are offered.

Also I think If you live in a foreign country where the native language is English for a year you can waive the TOEFL requirement..you can check with University advising office..

6. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

In US if you intend on going to a state university it is MUST to give TOEFL. Try and write a very good statement of purpose, get an excellent TOEFL and GRE, GMAT score and good references - this will enhance your chances of getting into state schools, because most students apply to state schools as it is cheaper and hence these schools are more choosy about selecting candidates.
    Look at sample statement of purposes (I think that is the deal breaker in most cases)

7. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Sujji,

Why do you need to study in H4? There is no use of studying in H4 as you neither can do internship not work after your MS. I was in H4 status before and to do my MBA i changed my status to F1 from H4. Keep in mind, changing from H1 to F1 without going to India might take few months and you might not be able to do your first year internship (to do your internship you need to be in F1 status for a certain period. H1 to F1 transfer might not happen within the limited time)

TOEFL is must for foreign citizens from Asia (except Singapore). If you're planning to do MS, GRE is must.

You might not be able to join in Fall 2013; But some school have courses starting in December/January/Spring etc. You can try those. There are very good schools in PA. Try for scholarships which will save you some money.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

1 person likes this.