1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling to let go and be peaceful. Please help!

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cheerup89, Mar 16, 2016.

1. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

@Cheerup89

Hugs to you dear... I can feel what you are writing and have been through this phase...

I have got numb just the way you have put it and I am sooo very numb that I don't even try to figure if this being "numb" is right or wrong...

I would say just embrace what you feel and be aware of it ... as you age, the psychological horizons will broaden and you may be either be less numb or get a better perspective of this feeling... ensure your experiences help you to bring out the better person in you when you interact with world at large...

you are a kind and understanding person... continue to be kind ... nobody ever regrets being kind... If you were my sibling or child, I would be super proud of you given your maturity in dealing with life..

Do not stop being happy because of some selfish people around.. just make a resolution to be happy

2. swt.charu

swt.charu Platinum IL'ite

your SIL is managing everything wrong in my opinion.. her marriage, her support system (when to seek help and when to give space), her emotional needs .. everything...

Your MIL "knows" this for a fact... she knows you are more mature than her... she knows you deal with life better... and that makes her feel miserable..

3. Cheerup89

Cheerup89 New IL'ite

Dear @Jas8085,

Thank you for your words! I almost had tears reading them. I keep beating myself thinking it is wrong of me to think that way (that SIL cannot boss us around), I wish I can drag you along to speak to my SIL. SIL lives in the opinion that everyone else has a responsibility to serve her and make her life easy, but if we bring up the topic that she has a responsibility too, MIL looks at us like we have the coldest hearts in the planet. "SIL is going through a lot, we need to support her" That's her mantra. I don't know for how long she intends to look after her daughter like a 3 y/o. She goes to SIL's place and cooks and cleans when the maid is on leave (maid is on leave only 2 days in a month, which they feel is a lot!). I have never heard of such an arrangement in any household. When MIL returns, she is constantly complaining about how much her legs are aching. Who asked her to go serve the SIL?
    Previously, I was at home, and could not make any plans. Now I say I am going to work, and leave during weekends, and he joins me later. Does anybody else have to cook up excuses to spend time with DH? I am not sure. SIL leaves her LO on weekends, and goes out with her DH, and complains that her MIL is angry she is always leaving the kid and gg out. I am sure any MIL would have reacted the same. Funniest is when my MIL tells my DH, "Cant SIL's MIL understand that they need some time together?" :rotfl
    MIL sat down to advise me, "More than us, SIL is your sister, her DH is your brother, you have to look after them" I have never felt genuine love from my SIL. She is always very fake, and worst, she eavesdrops on us and complains to MIL. One time, we were all planning to go out, MIL had made up her mind that we all have to take her grandson out, and since DH is most patient with the kid, no outing is planned without DH. DH and I were speaking inside about me going to work on Sunday, SIL heard a few words, and complained to MIL that we had other plans. We still went out, MIL was extra sweet (she wanted us to run behind the grandson), the moment we reached home, she stopped speaking to us. I did not care, I know her antics. My DH could not bear it, and asked her, and she screamed that if we have other plans, we should tell her and not speak between ourselves. DH was super annoyed and left in a rage, for once, he shouted back to stop assuming, and he came for the kid and not for anyone else, and asked her how did she know we had other plans. Till the end, MIL did not admit that SIL told her, but we clearly saw SIL standing outside our door. This is just an example.
    I try to ignore her long face+antics+silent treatment, but DH still feels guilty when MIL does not speak to him. She has used this for years to keep him in control.

4. Cheerup89

Cheerup89 New IL'ite

Dear @swt.charu,

Really very nice of you to say this. And I think you have given me some great advice, 'to embrace without questioning'. I am glad that many people have the same 'numb' feeling, and it is not just me being confused. I do try to be kind, like you said, but some times I have to vent it out. My DH has ALWAYS been there for me, but it is his family, and I feel bad making him upset with the thoughts in my head. I do try to ignore, but after months and months of dealing with this, I want to scream when MIL/SIL start their rants on a Sunday morning. Every day, SIL makes sure she texts/call MIL to remind her of what a miserable life she leads. If she is as selfless as she claims to be, would you go around hurting everyone, and expecting them to always worry about you and you only? Even before her DH fell sick, she has kept MIL and DH's attention on her issues only. He would not even speak to me over the phone on some days, cause he would be so tired solving her marital problems on a daily basis. Nowadays SIL does not come to DH, cause she feels we don't understand her plight as much as her mother does (not that I am complaining). My FIL simply shouts when she complains to him, saying 'all of us have problems in life, I have bigger problems'. No point speaking to him as well, he wants to leave the country, but knows SIL wont let MIL go that easily.
    It is mostly MIL who cries to me, worrying about her daughter (SIL makes sure MIL is never at peace, by always telling her "My life is gone, why am I alive, I have no peace since marriage"), and when I realized I have no sympathy or feelings for both of them, I felt guilty. How can I not feel bad for SIL who is facing this at a young age.

I agree MIL is not that blind, to not see that SIL does not have responsibility or maturity, but her ego is not letting her accept it, not even to her own son now (after his marriage). Accepting to son=accepting to me, and I don't think she ll ever let that happen. In front of me, she cannot stop singing praises of SIL. One silly example is when SIL's maid cooked something yummy, without giving credit to her, MIL said, "maid does not know new recipes, it is SIL who taught her how to learn cooking from the web" and I can see she is trying to hard to always speak highly of her daughter, but sometimes I don't understand why.

5. Jazmine83

Jazmine83 Gold IL'ite

Your IL family seems liberal..I am kinda surprised they let you stay at their place to "save" rent even before marriage.

Your FIL wants to buy you a separate house? and you hung on to that word??

I don't know OP...you are blaming everyone. What exactly is the problem? I read through your posts and I am still not understanding...can you simplify.

So..your IL agreed to your SIL marriage because she was intimate with her husband. Really..do you have to share this personal info. about her? What did you achieve by smearing her name.

In the end, it seems like you have achieved what you wanted...a separate house with none of the problems from IL side.

sindmani likes this.
  6. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

Cheerup89,

Answer to your question

"Just because she decided to marry someone who always puts only himself first, why should I let it spoil my marriage? "

No you must not!

However, by ranting to your husband, who is already trapped between the devil (MIL) and the deep sea (SIL), you are doing your marriage a ig disservice. DOn't spoil what you have Cheeru. You have got a wonderful husband who is going to be with you for the rest of your life.

MIL and SIL are passing storms which you and your DH need to ride out. He will be ever greatful to you for your support in these tough times. And whenever you want to rant, come to IL. We are here for you.

7. Cheerup89

Cheerup89 New IL'ite

Dear Jazmine, thank you for your insight. I agree completely that they are liberal and nice people. And I realise it is truly awful of me to comment on her personal life. I think the bottom line is that I feel that SIL always gets her way, and makes sure attention is her, which annoys me. No matter what decision she takes, or what mistakes she has made, everyone is quick to forget her. Every time I struggle to maintain a friendly relationship with MIL, I feel she walks in and spoils it for me because she wants her Mom all to herself, and focus on her and her Son.
    I agree I have got what I wanted in the end. And also realise it is hard for someone who has not gone through something similar to understand my perspective.

suasin likes this.
  8. Cheerup89

Cheerup89 New IL'ite

Hi @soulful, thanks for your words (once again). I hope I have the maturity to stop ranting to my Husband. I try very hard not to spoil his day or create a problem (on top of everything else in his life), but I think I lose control on some days and end up being very bitter to him. I think I do feel jealous sometimes, that I will never have with my MIL, what SIL shares with her. Anything she does or says is okay (maybe because MIL loves the child too much), I don't know. I can always stay in good terms with MIL, provided I am extra nice to SIL and her Son. Maybe I also feel a bit of self-pity that I have to go through this, when friends of my age are having fun and enjoying life with their DH. I hope I grow up to have the maturity to stop blaming everyone else. Sometimes when I hear people speaking about their great in-laws, I also feel I have the same. They are generous, thoughtful and supportive. All, before SIL calls and cries about her miserable life. When this happens, MIL is mostly upset or angry, no matter what DH and I do.

9. Jas8085

Jas8085 Gold IL'ite

Honey, your mil was not lying when she told u about her friend (whose DIL cut contacts). Her friend is MY mil. And that DIL is ME!!!

Next time, ask her "what horrible things did ur friend do -that her poor dil had to cut contacts! Come on mummyji , no one cuts contacts just like that! "
    That should shut her up real fast!!

Darling, your husband is your biggest strength. It feels so nice to hear that you both are together in this. Thats 90% of the battle won. Togetherness is everything. Bless u both.

10. cheenu123

cheenu123 Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,
    I have been there, done that, and balanced as well. I have been a patient of acute depression a few months back due to some problems in my marriage however, my MIL failed to acknowledge this and my SL
    dint call me even once. On the other hand once my SIL
    had gone for her routine check-up and had slightly higher thyroid values, immediately my MIL barged into my room and said you must must call your SIL

I asked her did she bother calling me all this while when I was so close to insanity? To this my MIL replied that your SIL is older to you hence it is your and only your responsibility to call her. I refused point blank that no I wouldn't call her and do not expect such special treatments when you and your daughter fail to even acknowledge that I have been so unwell. My MIL further said that you must call SIL and invite her over I said please don't ever expect this from me. This is her home before it became mine and I will never get into such fake pleasantries and invitations. It was hard hitting and my MIL and DH became a team but I stood my ground. Now I share a normal equation with my SIL but I have realized that there is absolutely no use bending over backwards for in-laws when they don't even care to bother about DIL, her sickness or her parent's sickness.