1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

stroring homemade baby food in fridge

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by cooks2010, Jun 16, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hello,

I have been preparing kichdi in pressure cooker ( powdered roasted rice and dal). Once it cools I put in glass jar and keep in fridge for 3-4 days, is that ok?. I use 2-3 tbsp everyday. Should I be making smaller quantities and using faster.

I also store pureed veggies \ fruit same way for 2-3days, extra gets frozen in ice cubes.

Cooks

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014

2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Cooks, this is a great idea for khichdi. I don't have suggestions as I am learning from you. So after you roast, you powder it and pressure cook it in water? This purée is stored in the fridge? I know dal Can stay in fridge but not sure about the rice...

3. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Whats the best way to thaw frozen baby food? I cannot cook daily so cooking and freezing is workable for me. I wanted to open a new thread but this thread deals with the same-storing and using food. Please help!

4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rose,

After pressure cooking, I let it cool down and then use an immersion blender to make it puree like. I then store in the glass mason canning jar (from walmart) and yes then store in the fridge. I havent frozen the kichdi mix, not sure if I can.

I usually freeze the vegetables and fruits (while pressure cooking fruits, I add nutmeg and cinnamon).

About thawing frozen food, I just place one ice cube in a saucepan and cook on the stove and add the kichdi to it and mix. For one serving I use one vegetable ice cube and 2-3 tbsp kichdi, so it heats up pretty quickly on high gas. For fruit I use 2 ice cubes.

Not sure if thats the right way, but its quick :). I dont pre-thaw the frozen ice cubes in the fridge.

What solid food do you give?

Cooks

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Right now I haven't started cooking rice at home as we start after annaprasanam. I give oatmeal and rice cereal (mix). I baked sweet potato (caused some discomfort), boiled apple/pear (didnt like). As of now, giving earths best food. She likes the veggies in it. Once we start officially rice, I will start cooking.

6. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

What is annaprasanam, I have heard this a lot on the forum :)

Cooks

7. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

It is a small ceremony where we officially start rice for the baby. We also put a few things like a pen, some money, maybe a knife etc and see which one the baby touches first.