1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strange problem - cannot think of a workaround

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by bukbuk, Jan 8, 2012.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

I think the whole seance thing has come as a big shock to you. Give yourself time to absorb what you saw and sort out your reactions. Others have given good suggestions about being open minded, showing curiousity and asking qs first etc but dont rush into all that immediately. Re: current, cold war you could try to disarm hubby by openly telling him you dont know what to make of it, you havent come to any decision yet and you dont want it to come between the two of you. Rest, take all the time you need to figure out and sort out how you feel and how you want to go forward on this (incl talking to your parents or asking q's) before you take a stance or bring up the topic.

2. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

I read through all suggestions. Quite interesting. However, here I have to make clear thar I have no curiosity whatsoever to dig further into my sil's current favorite hobby. There are sone things which I don't like, and cannot be bothered about. Cricket for example is one thing for me. You may have such few aversions too.

My dh and I were so much likeminded, that's what I always thought. We have had similar interest..movies, books p, traveling. Just superficial things, but ones that give us joy instantly. After my sil episode, my dh's behavior kind of broke my heart because I realize how different we are.

Also I must mention, am a lil pregnant and carry a small bub around. On seance night, my mil wanted my sil to bless my bump. WTF?! I was quite shaken ( even scared) already looking at my sil and the intense environment in her house, and as she approached me I became quite dizzy. My dh understood, held me asked if I were okay, that's when I excused myself to go to washroom and didn't return until after the performance was over. He even teased me later if he should carry me home in his pocket. ( thats his fav joke on me as he is 6.3 ft and 190 pounds and am a meek 5 ft 100 pounds).

The reason I stated this is becoz am worried my mil will want to me come over every time to have my bub 'blessed'.

I need to find a way out of this commotion without hampering my relation with my loving dh and mil because otherwise I have no issues with my mil. Strange problem, isn't it?

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

ok now you came up with the REAL REASON of your worry!!!!

See instead of being scared aobut your SILs new interests etc...just tell your husband that he can do what ever he wants to...but you would like to stay away from all this drama until hte baby is born...REASON....you are not comfortable with it..and if mom is stressed out..baby will also feel the stress...and thats not good for health of the baby n mom. specially when you felt dizzy etc..

Avoid going to inlaws house. If they plan to come to your house..tell your husband openly you want to stay at a friends place or so..make some bahaaanaa .
    For all this to be successful....be open n truthful to your husband. am sure he too would want a safe n happy delivery with a healthy baby....

4. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bukbuk,
    You are right in trying to keep away from this nonsense. Try to avoid all such scenes, say you get nauseous with all the smoke chanting etc. Say the DR has told you stay calm and this makes you tense.
    Keep away from mumbo-jumbo , such people go to extremes as they firmly believe in all this.
    Dont worry if you get a bad DIL tag.
    Dont try to make DH see your point of view , he wont.He belongs to the same family and has the same background.One day he will realise on his own.
    Just stay away and dont discuss anything with them. Maybe your SIL is getting fits, or is play acting to get attention.

2 people like this.
  5. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

In that case, the best would be just be firm and tell your husband you don't like it or as someone suggested make some excuse that you feel dizzy, restless or uncomfortable and that it is not going to be good for the baby. If they force you too much, then I guess you will have to stop worrying about hampering your relationship with them. But you don't have to worry about that now.

6. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

Not really. Do you think I would be less scared or paranoid if I weren't pregnant? I don't think so.

Avoiding mil,sil etc. altogether can be easily done (theoretically). Obviously, that's the first thing that would come to anyone's mind; and i thought about it even before posting here.

But is that really a practical solution? And how long can I avoid them? All my life?

Moreover, I don't have any enemity towards my mil & sil . Neither do they. In fact I always wanted to be a part of normal, civilized family where people don't just jump at each others' throat. And I always thought I had that until the recent development that took place. It's a rude shock for me, and the 'normal' part is totally contested.

And to imagine that I may have to put up with this for the rest of my life. I don't understand why things couldn't continue to remain 'normal' like they were. Why this storm in my coffee cup?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

Since the drama, I have started seeing a new person in my dh. Someone whom I knew never existed before. We have absolutely been mum about the drama since that day; however, I can clearly judge he knows what's going on in my mind. He walks into our bedroom and I watch him silently, and he looks back at me (trying to read my mind, wondering if I will pop a question about his sis). When I remain silent, he just withdraws and it takes a while for us to start a conversation about some neutral topic that we like/dislike. Our equation has definitely changed since that night.

This comment actually made me laugh. It's weird why I can see the abnormality clearly but my darling sweet loving dh whom I married after a perfect understanding (that's what I believed), cannot!

8. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bukbuk,
    Slowly you will get to know the murky facts as to how dear SIL got into all this stuff.
    This type of behaviour is weird to say the least.
    Most DH turn blind and deaf if their family is criticised , they cannot see any fault at all.
    Maybe DH is also uncomfortable with his sisters behaviour but will never say it.
    Does SIL have kids? How does her DH react to all this?
    Generally there has be a some reason behind such weird behaviour, you will get to know gradually in bits and pieces.
    Nobody tells such things during courtship anyway .
    Its a dicey situation , try to change location, change jobs, the further you are away the better it will be.
    You can keep away for the time being by being diplomatic and saying you get sick, faint, tense watching the event. This way you can keep away for months !
    Sometimes we have to sugarcoat words to keep peace at home as truth hurts.

9. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

My sil is a year younger to my dh, which makes her a year younger to me too; as my dh and I are of same age. He still calls her with a nickname that means 'kiddo'; and loves her like a small child. He never stops craving about her cooking (she is a great cook, agreed). Am perfectly okay with this and have no jealousy whatsoever, perhaps because I knew about this during our courtship.

I have never criticised his family with him!! It has been my strategy right from the beginning to look for a win-win situation. I can vouch that this has been the key to my peaceful married life all this while.

Am not sure why his sis was interested in spirituality right from the beginning. Am suspecting its something to do with her dad's untimely death. My dh used to tell me during our courting period that she wasn't interested in wordly things at all like going for a movie etc. but spent hours in meditation or prayers. I didn't see this as a big problem then really because she came across harmless always. She would never interefere in anyone's business including her brother's and mine; so I didn't have anything to complain about.

I have not been super friends with her so I don't know exactly about things going on in her life. She does have a child, over 2 years old now. Her in-laws apparently are very crooked, but she has managed to bring about a complete transformation in her h after few years of marriage, and now he dances to her tunes like anything!!! I really don't know how she managed that. I have not been able to bring an ounce of change in my dh lol (I haven't tried, but that's a different thing).

All I can see now is my sil's dh obeys her completely, he has taken into all kinds of spiritual things himself, even his FB status talks only about spiritual stuff!

It's a dicey situation for me because I suddenly find myself caught between strange things.

10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

bukbuk,
    Thought I will share with you. I am reading Steve Jobs' biography and he was very deeply into spiritual things and had lot of weird stuff going around. People can be weird and you cannot change them. Her being into weird things should not change your relationship with your DH and his family.