1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Behavior Of In Laws Not Able To Understand...

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Dishaa, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I am bit confused about my in laws behavior. Please help me in this, sorry for the long post.

SIL:
    Every time she praises me for my toughness & also she pities me for my situation (I lost my mom, father is Parkinson's patient & sister is bed ridden & initial days of marriage even DH salary was very less).

Due to family situations myself (reuse mom's saree as dress, never went to any fine dine restaurant/picnics/tours/malls/burger, etc), where she enjoyed all these. Due to my ignorance about dressing or food habits as per her I am from different time zone (shares these things to all relatives) & I end up becoming a laughing stock.

She has 2 - 3 maids for daily work, as per her she is lucky her husband can afford a housewife (herself) bear her expenses, kid school & can maintain status.

By God's grace & elders blessings I had car & houses before marriage, she forced her husband to book an expensive flat & she exchanged old car for new.

Once myself, MIL & SIL went to shopping, there she kept on trying 1000 of dresses (6 hrs) & in general I asked she didn't liked any of those dresses, to that she said she is very selective about her dress.

When she came to know about my parlor bill (Rs. 30/- to Rs. 40/-) she said she always visits reputed parlor & her bills goes above 7 to 10 k each time, which her husband is managing.

MIL:
    Cooking: Dh can't eat spicy food & prefer to have gravy (no spicy food), she advices me to improve my cooking, where as she uses spices in her food.

Irrespective I get up early and prepare food for all, she prepares different food, as per her she wants to help me. In case if I don't prepare any food that day she & FIL goes out (resulting my dad & sis are left with nothing), else all the food prepared by me goes in dustbin.

She once accompanied me to parlor saying it is a low cost parlor suitable for me.

Yesterday after climbing 20 floors (lift out of order) I reached home @ 10:00 pm., she asked me to help her prepare dinner, with shaking legs I just grabbed nearby available water bottle, immediately she remembered Dh has not drank water (Dh came earlier & reached by lift) was chatting with FIL.

Whenever I discuss/chat she remembers something and ensures I leave and go in the kitchen.

Recently I hired a maid for doing household chores, MIL shelled out money to her for no reason.

For Dh (she gives hot water for bath) for me nothing, but she allows me to wear western dresses (where as I prefer wearing salwaar suits / formals).

MIL always say she treats me like her own daughter, every time SIL discusses about my ignorance of dressing & food habits, MIL also shares the various types of skirts / suits she used to wear earlier (before and after marriage).

FIL:
    Criticize for everything (financial, eating style, food, dress not ironed, cleaning) he thinks only SIL & her husband are perfect.

SIL & MIL talks on my dressing & eating style, FIL comments as poor girl (myself) didn’t enjoyed anything in life (he says me to tell him if I need anything).

He has problems with my office work & always asks me to change my job (because of my EMI he don't say me to resign, else his son has to bear them)

The house was purchased long back before marriage (home loan) he insists me to insert Dh name in the property papers.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

This is a universal problem, in laws problems are faced by almost every other person including late princess Diana. So you aren't alone. Just figure out ways to deal with them n remember to stand up for yourself, n don't take abuse.

What are you expecting from them? (You can answer that to yourself)

With the way you said about each one, they sound like typical in laws.

She is trying to show that she is superior to you in terms of her lifestyle provided by her husband. She is just not realising that your current lifestyle is also the result of your husband, who is also 'her brother'. So who is she putting down here, her own brother ?

Ignorance about style- go for whatever is affordable by you, it also comes by practise n people around you. Style doesn't always mean expensive. You can grasp the style from people around you and learn n try n test n check. You will also be surprised at the number of people who buys stylish clothes n accessories from street market for cheap prices but just wear it in rich style.

Isn't it her son ? Doesn't she know what or how he eats ?

Why are you waiting for her to give hot water ? Go take it yourself. Don't wait around for her to give permission for everything.

Rest of the stuff sounds like a typical mil story. If you are expecting a friendly, understanding, loving mil, that's tough. And maybe you can be one like that when your time comes.

Don't fall for this. Some of them jus says it n never means it. N if your mil n Sil are such style icons. Ask them to style you, you are her daughter, right ? Say, "please you teach me".

Don't do any name insert or name change now. Don't give this topic any importance. Just let it go.

Your Fil's criticising is also a typical in law's thing, unfortunately.

Don't let any of this get to you. Don't take every word seriously. Many of us ladies goes through this, just different variations n seriousness.

You can learn, change, improve wherever you feel to do so.

As time goes, you will learn what / when to ignore, stand up and deal with them.

3. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi ashneys,

Thanks a lot, actually my sole reason to join IL to get clear idea about my thoughts, at home I don't have anyone to discuss.

I didn't have any kind of expectations from my in laws, except MIL (treat her like my mom).

In laws knows about Dh medical condition (I came to know about it after marriage), still she can't adjust with non spicy food, he is under medication & spicy food is a strict no.

I was assuming I am over reacting to SIL behavior (as neither my in laws, her husband & my Dh stopped her). I was under an impression, I am jealous of her life so have this feeling.

Thanks once again...

4. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi ashneys,

"Just figure out ways to deal with them n remember to stand up for yourself, n don't take abuse" - can u pl elaborate on this, is this any kind of abuse?

Hot water thing - We have solar system at our building, so its not required.

U may have heard news about Cloud burst in Mumbai this Tuesday myself & Dh left from office and had to walk down almost 2 hours in chest deep water (my height is 5.9") then reached home totally dirty & drenched by gutter and rain water, it took us 6 hours to reach home. That time MIL prepared hot water for Dh & didn't even bother to ask me (I don't like to enter kitchen or bedroom that dirty), but I had to enter that day (as I was already suffering from cold and fever).

5. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

From what I understand you live with your father and sister in a home that you bought with your money ? The IL's visiting or live with you ?
    The SIL is a insecure and probably jealous that you are more capable than she is . I think same goes for the MIL. Hence they try to show you that they are better than you and that they lead better lives with better choices. Pity them for their stupidity , you should be very proud of your resilience and strength. But make sure that they don't disrespect you in any way.
    As for FIL commenting on your career, I think there is insecurity there as well because he has his daughter doing nothing with her life and here you are managing work, home etc. He has no right whatsoever to ask you to include your husband's name in the property. Next time , make it clear that it will not happen under any circumstances .
    You have a lot on your plate, make sure that you stand your ground when it comes to inlaws issues. You have to let them know subtly that you have a mind / opinions of your own . Or else they have no qualms walking all over you.
    Wish you the best.

6. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Can I add that don't expect much from the IL's , even your MIL and you will be happy. Don't go out of your way to please them, be cordial that's it. If you do too much , you also expect something from them. Watch out for yourself and your husband's health. Make sure that he is not eating the spicy food she cooks.

sindmani, Naari and salad like this.
  7. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

Deniki panikostarra nayana veellanta boomiki bharam tappa cha

8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op....you are such an inspiration .
    You have a tough life but you cruise along.

Regarding the house,don't ever change the name on ownership of house. You are the proud owner and you have dependent sister and dad. Do not change anything.
    If fil says again ,tell him he is your husband and hence what is your is his too for life and you feel no need to make any changes .period.

As for sil....she has a complex. You have achieved so much and she has only her husband to be proud of.

Next time she starts her own praise...politely cut her off with a smile saying ' yes,you are really lucky. Hope someday your brother can also provide me with such a life and I can also live a little easier '.Smile and move away. Don't let her put you down .

Cook less spicey food for all. It is good for every one. Keep curd handy. If mil makes something very spicey ,just add curd and let your husband eat that. You are married to that man and his health should be top priority.
    You can keep some khichdi mix ready and every time the food is spicey...put the mix in the cooker and let him eat that. May be then your mil will realise.

Khichdi mix....just mix raw dal ,rice and spices and salt and keep . Add a tomato and cook .

Ignore nonsense about your dressing sense etc.

9. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Dear OP,

First of all kudos to everything that you do! Managing home, work, in laws and at the same time taking care your family you are a great human being! You should be proud of yourself. You are already doing a lot.

About your SIL.
    She is clearly insecure that you are managing everything your own and she has to depend up on her husband for everything. Next time whenever she is coming to comment use the same thing against her. Tell her “Yes I spend only 40 -30rs for parlor but I think it works for me”

Also change the topic to anything general. Movies, politics. Else move away from that situation (the same way your MIL does!).Learn from them! The more you let them talk the more they will keep on taunting you!

About MIL

Cooking
    You said whatever you cook will be in the dustbin. Cook as per the need. I wonder how you budget with 2 cooking in the same house! I manage a time table for my kitchen which is visible to anyone who is working in the kitchen!. I put the time table for the whole week on Friday and buy grocery accordingly!

Spicy food
    Before putting the chillipowder take something aside for your husband. If your MIL is cooking tell her to do the same thing.

Otherwise cook just for your parents and husband. Let your MIL cook for herself and FIL. So you are not worried about being your food wasted. Every DIL goes through these dramas in the starting of the marriage. As the year progress we gain strength, energy and power in our kitchen and home!

About your FIL
    Is he retired? If so very very common scenario! When they don’t have anything to focus they sit and criticize whatever goes at home. In your case it is you. Just ignore. It is really hard to convince FILs. The more you ignore the better for you. Else just nod whatever he say and walk away!

First of all you have to understand you are a good human being and because of their insecurities they are attacking you! Your main focus should be your career and your DH. You have mentioned this is the initial days of marriage. Try to make a bond with your husband. Make sure you guys discuss everything with each other. Once you have a strong bond with your DH rest everything will fall in place.

Never ever give your whole salary and property to your DH or In laws. You should know how to manage your finance. You should be knowing how your husbands salary is spend. You have to keep your financial security. Never try to buy love with money(mainly for your MIL!) That greediness is never going to end!

End of the day they are your in laws not your own parents. However you treat them, One day they will show you their real color and you will be in depression. So don't give any chance for it!(learned from my own experience)

Dishaa, Sandycandy and Sunshine04 like this.
  10. MrCroc

MrCroc Silver IL'ite

Umm... You ... haven't shared the age group and prior condition of your ILs (FIL and MIL). The usual pattern that I have seen is something like this :-

FIL : If he worked in a government org and retired, he has a tendency to show his importance. Criticizing is a part of it. This is how usually males established authority in govt jobs and life in general. So, no wonder he is doing that. Praising SIL and her husband is a form of a self praise. He raised SIL and he selected her husband --unless that was a love marriage. So, again, no wonder.

MIL : She seems like a person who has concerns for her son. A bit too much if you ask me. So she will prioritize him over anyone else. You didn't mention if you DH is the only son. If he is, more so than.

SIL : I will be thrashed in this forum for saying this, but jealousy thy name woman. She is kind of jealous of you being capable of earning. This is the main issue. All her behavior stems from this. Then there is usual SIL rivalry.

Overall, I do not know how you ended up marrying in this family, but the overarching motive is simple. Your MIL and FIL want to ensure that you are completely devoted to your DH .. in every sense of the word. Hence all the behaviour. They are also aware of their son's medical condition, which from your description seems like either a gestro issue or a hormonal one. It is a kind of insecure behaviour, they don't need to enforce this on you using these pressure tactics and 'hot and cold' tactics they are playing. Hot by criticising you every now and then and cold by telling you how your past life was not good at all and you are in a better place. Honestly, it will only stress you and put bitterness in the otherwise normal relationship.

SIL is an irritant and a no player in this. She... has nothing to do with your life. Mostly she is acting out of jealousy.

Now, the biggest missing piece here is your DH, don't know how your relationship is with him. If you like him enough then all you need is that ILs -- who are actually acting childish to be honest -- need to give both of you space, this may come in the form of living apart or in a different city. Rest is well, usual stuff. OH on the financial part. Do not include any one in the title deed of you property atleast for now. Also never sign a GPA etc if they ask it.

Dishaa and Sandycandy like this.