1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Story Behind Tamil Proverbs -post 4. Brahmartam Saptu Ella Patrai Thee Vei.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Satlak, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Brahmnartham saptu Ella patrai thee vei innanam! This roughly translates as after eating food served for brahmanartham, the Brahmin said that the godown stocking sesame seeds should be burned down.

It seems a Brahmin went to eat food served specially for him on occasion of shrardham. He ate too much that he had difficulty even walking. It was then that some one asked him, "did you have food? Was the food enough? How was it?"
    Our man was full to the gills and the very mention of food filled him with repulse. At that moment he thought that he would not be able to even look at food or grains , let alone eat. He was so distressed by his excess eating that when some one mentioned food to him, he shouted in rage, "Ellu Patraiyai thee vei".

It is a message that we should guard against excess in anything. Too much of a thing can be toxic. That brings us to another proverb, "Allavukku minjinal amruthamum visham".

To conclude , I remember a small hilarious tale which my mom used to say. This is a reminder that greed has no limits even when the greedy guy is suffering because of his greed.
    A man eats too much. And after that he feels uneasy. A friend suggests that he put two fingers inside his throat and vomit out. Our guy retorts " if there was space to put two fingers inside my throat, wouldn't I have eaten some more?"

For more such stories behind proverbs, click below

Oru naalum podada punyawatiye.....

Story Behind Tamil Proverbs Post Five- Oru Naalum Podada Punyawatiye Pottappo, Dinam Podara Kadangar

Ullakkai indarum
    Ullakkai Indarum! Story Behind This Tamil Phrase

Mamiyare mai ettukongo
    http://indusladies.com/community/threads/old-forgotten-tamil-proverb-mamiyare-mai-ettukongo.303620/#post-399495

Anju maatu ponn kadhai
    Story Behind Tamil Proverbs- Anju Maatuponn Kadhai

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Induslady, peartree, kkrish and 4 others like this.

2. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

:grinning::grinning:Poor brahmana! we often grumble when we find that the brahmana who is supposed to eat fully what is served to him during shradam, just pushes everything and fills it into the cup to be discarded. Cant exactly blame them. Made interesting reading:) thanks

sindmani, peartree and Satlak like this.
  3. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Ha ha , that's true. The perils of feasting! Who should know better than them?

peartree likes this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Lovely stories. Do share more with proverbs. Can share with my kids. Thank you.

peartree and Satlak like this.
  5. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Sure. I too love these proverbs

jskls likes this.
  6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Congratulations on your thread being nominated to the FP forum. Loving your proverbs. :)

Satlak likes this.
  7. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot.

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@Satlak,

Fortunately or unfortunately, my father died on Ganesh Chathurthi. He used to worship Lord Ganesha everyday and eventually died on Ganesh Chathurthi. We had tough time finding a Brahmin who would perform his final rites. Even though he died at 4:20 a.m. in the morning and we had to wait until late evening to perform the rituals.

Even last year, when I went to perform my dad's Srartha to the Temple, a priest rushed towards me and asked me to go and wait in a private room to perform Thithi. After we finished everything, the Temple clerk asked him, "Where did he go when so many people are in the Temple for Ganesh Chathurthi?" The Brahmin replied very politely, "It is said in the scriptures that a Brahmin who learned scriptures should give utmost importance to conducting rituals and accept what is offered to him gracefully" with a smile. As soon as he entered the Sanctum Sanctorum of Lord Ganesha, a whole flower garland fell into his hands as appreciation of his action.

Viswa

sindmani and Satlak like this.
  9. Satlak

Satlak Gold IL'ite

Thank you for sharing. I understand your situation. Fortunately you met a priest who was sincere. May his tribe increase.