1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Storing Worn But Not Dirty Clothes?

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by Rihana, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What are the latest options for storing "worn but not yet dirty enough to be washed" clothes? For grown-ups and children. In India and abroad.

The floor is one clear choice. As is the back of a chair.

I came across this valet stand that looked nice:
    GRUNDTAL Valet stand - IKEA

Any other ideas?

2. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

We have Indoor drying racks, with some plastic hangers, one in each room. In shops (and online) these are available in wall mount (see picture below) or floor standing types. The used clothes go on the backs of chairs at first, before someone (me!) reminds everyone to take theirs and move them to their rooms; they get to decide to wear it again, or get it to the laundry hamper, or dryclean pile.

In the old days we had a bamboo pole across the top of a couple of tall bookshelves, and some hangers on the bamboo. These days, it looks similar to (couldn't find the exact ones we have) this picture:
    [​IMG]
    We also have a quadrupod floor-standing drying rack. It is occasionally used when we have gatherings, and people need something to hang their jackets, scarves, and such. Instead of tossing them on a spare bed, and then everybody disheveling things to look for theirs under a pile, the jackets are all on nice hangers, and easy to find when the guests are ready to leave. The side benefit of this is to avoid your guests poking into your closet of clothes, and other things that are <meant to be> in the closet.

Rihana likes this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I like that valet stand, but not for clothes. IKEA also sells S-hooks for hanging those skillets that have hole at the end of a handle.
    I see that valet stand in the kitchen, holding all the pots/pans with handles on them, stored outside the shelves. One can use all the horizontal bars, hang the heavy ones on the bottom (for stability) and the lighter ones on top.
    If there is a wood/stone floor in the kitchen (walk-in pantry) where this valet would be, then the feet should be encased in some old socks.

And by the way, it is easy to convert old socks (they get holes at the toes, but perfectly fine/strong above the ankles) into furniture socks. Cut, fold, and run a couple of strong stitches in the Singer to make the sock. Use it for a few months and toss.

blessings1010 and Rihana like this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Air them for a day and fold them and store them in a draw or rack in wardrobe alone places like my home when there is no walk in closet.

With humidity it is clothes that we wear for a couple of hours and jeans that need to hung rest get into the laundry baskets. For that we have wardrobe hooks behind the door on the wall that is so common of old days. Somethings don't change.

For the rest you get creative like my kids. The treadmill. The study table chair. Much to irk their mom

5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Nice thread.
    We have same back of chairs, top of door, and then they crawl out of bedroom to living room in everyone's sight, sofa arms, toddler table, door handles. Then one day in fury, I will pick them all and throw in laundry without worrying if they need to be folded back in closet.
    My toddler and my clothes are my responsibility but its all my H's.
    I like IKEA stand and will like to have it if we ever move to bigger place.

6. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I hate seeing clothes lying around, so I hang mine back up. these clothes end up in a different corner of my walk-in closet - so it doesn't contaminate :sweat: the other clothes. When I didn't have a walk-in closet, I just hung it up on a hanger on the back of my door (back when I was in the dorm rooms)

7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Just like Bhumibabe, I hate clothes lying around too. I just throw them in the hamper for washing if worn more than half a day or hang them back on the hanger in the closet. I must say that in the US I have been super impressed with the options available for keeping the house organized like at the Container store or general BBB or any home store, the options are endless. I actually have become much more organized after coming here.

8. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

We have one of these IKEA KALLAX series 8 shelves cabinets with inserts in our walk in closet. How about dedicate one shelf to such 'worn not ready to wash' clothes, so they are not in plain sight and bothering you and you can wear them again too.

KALLAX Shelf unit - black-brown - IKEA

9. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

this rack is nice idea @nari but I think worn clothes need to be aired out for sometime. So putting back to folding/closet, reduced drying speed.

I wish there was a separate room for laundry in each home, where you could allot separate rod to hang such clothes. India is much better I think as weather is mostly warm so hang clothes out and dry in a min. But thing is in india we mostly hve to wash clothes after 1 wear.

Naari likes this.
  10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have designated one end of our tiny closets for clothes that can be reworn. They just go on hangers. This keeps them from getting wrinkles and keeps me from going mental when I see clothes strewn all over the place. We tried using a coat stand from IKEA but it ended up collecting junk so it has been relegated to party duty only.