1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

storing veg and coconut

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by aachus, Nov 16, 2010.

1. aachus

aachus Junior IL'ite

hi mallus,

engeneyanu veg cut cheydu store cheyyunnadu,also thenga.will u girnd it\grate?pathiri\chappathi(uncooked)hw to store?pls help i'm alone with kids.freeze cheydadu 1 day before fridgeleku mattiyal kedakumu?help:drowning

2. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Re: storing veg and thenga

Hi!
    Vegetables-beans, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage-cut cheydu netted bags il maximum two days fridgil vekkam(not in freezer).
    Savaala ulli orikkalum naRakki veykkaan paadilla. Fresh aayi thanne ariyanam. Bacteria form aakum.
    Thenga cut cheydu uppu puratti vechaal 2, 3 days kedaakaathe sookshikkam.
    Mattu vegetables like vaazhakka, vazhuthalanga , tomato ellam naRakki vechal kedakum.kayppu keRum.
    Will wait and see others' tips too....:)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  3. mallugal

mallugal Senior IL'ite

Hi aachus,

I am a big fan of prepping and freezing. It really helps to have some prepped veggies in the fridge.

You can peel the onions,instead of cutting them.They stay fresh. You can cut veggies like okra,carrot,beans etc and then store in plastic boxes. They make an easy thoran.

I always halve my coconut and then store in the fridge.Use them within 2-3 days. Or else u can cut them into small pieces and freeze too. But i prefer the first method. I like fresh coconut instead of frozen.

Frozen chappathis and parottas r all such good help. I always have them in my freezer.I have also tried making chappathis and freezing them. You can roll out the chappathi and stack them,seperating each one with thin plastic sheets or butter paper.Then pack a batch of 5-6 in a zip lock bag and freeze. No need to defrost them...just cook as normal chapathis.