1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Storing tips

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by madhu_cute, Apr 16, 2005.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

To keep green chilly fresh for a long time (even 6 months)

Hi,

To keep the green chillies fresh wash them remove the head, put them in a food storeage cover or a zipper locker cover and keep them in the FREEZER.
    when ever you need take from the pack. You can store even more than 6 months.

Bye,
    Krishna amma:wave

2. krishnaamma

Same like you:)

Hi,

I will also store like you and we (me my husband and my son) also completely depend on Fridge and Freezer. I am in Saudi Arabia and my son is studying in India. So generaly I use to store for him while I visit to Saudi and I will store for my husband while I visit to India.

I will keep Coffee Powder, Pappad, All My home made Ready made powders
    Tamarind paste(Home made), Fried moor miligai etc., in fridge's Veg. box.

In the freezer I will keep, cut vegetables, thuvailas, Tomato rice concentrate, Lemon Juice cubes,Sambar, cooked potatoes, small onions, peeled garlic, grated ginger, Methi leave, corinder leaves, curry leaves, Pulav masala, house made kootu podi with coconut, grated coconut, Idlies, dosa with dosa miligai powder, chappati dough or even chappati etc.,

We have to use full use of fridge and freezer I think.:-D

Bye,

Krishna amma.:wave

3. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    many of you have said that you store even vegetables, greens and chillies in freezer. Will they not rot because of the coldness? If we process and then freeze them, it may be okay. In India, the power goes off and during such times, they are bound to rot. Can we freeze coriander leaves and green chillie also in India?

4. krishnaamma

Thank you

Hi Varloo,

Yes you can store green chillies in India too. But the fridge must be a FROST FREE FRIDGE. Even after current cut it can with stand for 8 - 10 hours. Thank god till this date there is no such a loooooooooooong power cut.:-D

In this attached picture you are seeing Green Chillies which I kept 35 days before. I think you can see ice on it. After you remove from the fridge, immediately you cut (it will be some what hard and you can even break it with your fingers.) and use for sambar or any thing.

Bye,
    Krishna amma

Attached Files:

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Nice pic!

Dear Krishnaamma,

That is a good picture of the sharp green chillies..they look good enough to bite...ishhh:))
    I think necessity is the mother of invention! I too have spent many years in my life without an indian shop in the vicinity. I had to resort to many of the methods mentioned here to preserve and store vegetables and indian groceries and make it last a long time. My refrigerator has been my saviour at such times.
    Varloo, it is true that in India, if you do not have the right refrigerator, you might end up wasting your vegetables due to power cuts. We have no such problems abroad. But then, you can get almost all the vegetables and greens at your doorstep in India, so you do not have the urgency to preserve them like some of us need to here. But for a housewife anywhere in the world, to freeze cooked food is a boon. Knowing the hectic schedules of a working woman in India, it sure helps to freeze food, if possible.

L, Kamla

6. sandy

sandy New IL'ite

hi all

to keep fresh atta r any powders in winter,store in ziploc bags and keep the bags in freezer,i did that for chapathi floor,it works well,try it

7. Srileka

Srileka New IL'ite

Hi All,

Storing vegetables, food stuffs, curry powders etc... is really a challenging to all of us. I feel the tips given by you all is really good. Keep it up.

Srileka

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Srileka
    Thanks for bringing this thread up. it really is extremely useful. thanks so much to everyones input.

9. krishnaamma

Hi anandchitra and srileka,

Thank you very much for your feed backs and again you brought this thread up. share your tips also here.:yes:

10. Poonkodi

Poonkodi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your usefult tips, I was also looking for this kind of tips, really useful