1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Storing bills & receipts

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shubhasiddharth, Jan 23, 2012.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Whenever I buy stuff, there is a need to preserve the receipts incase I want to return the item..I usually dump them in a big plastic bag and keep the bag in a shelf..but anytime when I need to hunt a receipt, I literally have to take every single paper out to find the right one..just figuring out a neat or a more orderly way to store/save the receipts..any suggestions?

2. Nargisshaik

Nargisshaik Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Name the small covers as Grocery, Electronic items, Medical bills, Fuel, etc...put the bills in small covers according to the type..and maintain them in big cover..

3. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

This is how I maintain it.

Grocery : Maintaining the Grocery bills based on stores helps. I don't go to different stores for groceries just 3-4.. So bell clip them together based on stores.

Electronics : I clip the receipts along with manuals & warranty card, and maintain them along with other petty electronic stuff in a seperate box though.

Medical / Insurance Receipts : Maintaining a file of these receipts with different tags helps

Hope this helps.

4. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

I separate them with different color of paper clips you can try that its easy to identify.And stored in kitchen drawer itself.

Hope this is useful to you.

5. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

Thank you ladies, will definitely try it out..hopefully I can have it clutter free.

6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Shubha,

It is better that have files for your bills - even consolidated 'utilities (water/electricity/trash)' and other in separate folders is a good idea. Then once the taaxes are filed, I usually put them all in a carton, mark the year and stow it away.

For groceries what worked best for me is to have a simple note book - number them as dates and simply staple that days grocery bills to that day's dated page. This will help you have them all sorted out, gives an idea of what you have spent and also if you remember roughly when you had something, you can go to that page and look up the receipt.

Hope this helps.