1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stop calling me aunty!!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Jul 10, 2015.

1. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

hmm its debatable and interesting topic.
    i also have experienced that before marriage when i use to go to buy ganpati stall-keeper called me didi n all and just after year i became auntyfaintingsmiley

when after marriage i was just 25 and use to stay in rented house a girl just younger to me by 4 years address me as aunty...(sick of her)
    i never call anyone aunty or somethign like that..it is always better to call maam or something if you r not sure of age.

most of the time even shop keeper calls aunty..bad marketing skills they have..how many customer they must be loosing gigglingsmiley

actually i personally feel that such stuff is just demotivating. everyone want and feels to stay young.

even i have just 8 month old baby and cant maintain myself or give time to self as have to maintain house work and children. people should not be punished as someone said it is ok to call aunties for people who dont contribute time to selfkneesmiley

2 people like this.
  2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

U r right katochsimi.

Another funny incident was like I went out once to the fancy store to get earrings with a neighbor who was only 21.the boy who sold stuff was 20.he called both of us akka.I was happy "atleast no aunty".the girl was pissed off as she was only 21 and hated to be addressed akka!she kept calling him Anna and he was calling her akka.it was Hilarious.

from her point of view she is only 21 and hence hated to be addressed akka by a guy just one ur younger.

To each their own! Ha ha

3. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

I feel among all the Indians the South Indians have the best way of addressing a woman.

They use the term 'amma' which is very respectful and for a teenage girl.

I studied in South India, the rickshaw wala, vegetable vendor and sometimes even some teachers sometimes used to call us 'amma'.

They all were ofcourse older than I even then I used to feel very good and content when they used to called me like that.

The North Indian use 'behenji', maharashtrians use 'tai'. I have observed that it is mostly the Gujratis who audaciously call people 'aunty'. What is worse it that they are very adamant about it and refuse to budge even if you tell them the umpteenth number of times!

sindmani, katochsimi and anika987 like this.
  4. katochsimi

katochsimi Gold IL'ite

agree..what i observed is that some immature or illiterate people think that "aunty" is some respectable English word :bang

whatever now i m much comfortable and take it as challenge...i will do something that people will force to call me didi or madam:biggrin2:

1 person likes this.