1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stop calling me aunty!!!

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by anika987, Jul 10, 2015.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

LOL.just a fun thread.read on.

An woman no matter how young she is once she is married or give birth to kids is been called aunty.fine...er..ok fine.

question is why am I finding it difficult to accept?
    I am a fitness freak and so is many women.we work hard and honestly guys,these days at the risk of sounding immodest we look just as young as many girls in their early twenties.some even look like teens!

every women loves to look young.period.is it our ego which is refusing to accept being called an aunty?

like how age is just a number,why not relations?why always aunty?it can be didi,akka

last India trip,I went to a marriage.i worked very hard to look good and was walking with my kid.someone called"aunty". I did not turn.then I realized she was calling me.i turned to see a girl taller and bigger than me calling me aunty.gosh!lol.heart refusing to accept being called that despite being in thirties ha ha.

If thirties r aunties,..then only Bollywood is ruled by aunty heroines.most r 30plus.

Are we refusing to age gracefully?

just for fun.nothing serious:)

1 person likes this.

2. anupartha

anupartha Gold IL'ite

Hey kiddo, why thirties, even in fifties its difficult to adjust when the call come from inappropriate ppl..:)
    For example, I am a grandma, and never mind or bothered how I am being addressed in general. But when a pot bellied baldie address me as aunty somehow it irks me.LOL.
    And his wife also, (she may be just a few years younger to me) calls me like that as if she is a teenager..I dont give a crap you know. Just sayin..It's all just a state of mind, I guess..I can fit in any specific crowd, say dye my hair, wear a jeans & tee and travel with youngsters or wear a nineyards and blend in a sumangali pooja..lol..you can never guess my age..lmao..aunty bi hum, dadhi bi hum, didhi bi hum, bhabi bi hum...lol.Nice post by you Anika..Thanks.

sindmani, yesican, anika987 and 3 others like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Na:)
    u r just giving your opinion.np:)

4. meenurani

meenurani Silver IL'ite

Lol. This reminded me of the incident happend to me. I got married when I was 22 and came to Uk and I didnt even look 22. My hubby volunteers in a mandir here and hence I went with him to visit the Mandir. He was introducing me to his friends .There was this guy he looked huge and with beard . I was quite shocked when he asked me aunty, how was your journey? Later I asked my DH why that man was calling me aunty.He said he is just 14. Later I told him not to call me aunty. :D

1 person likes this.
  5. anumuralik

anumuralik Bronze IL'ite

Dear op...
    it is really a funny topic to come up with...gigglingsmiley I have become an aunt at the age of 14!! :eek:mg: My eldest cousin's son calls me aunt(atta in Telugu)... And now that am 28... Not an age to be called an aunt though...doh1 But he and all his friends call me aunt... And I never felt bad to be honest LOL..laugh1smiley most of my cousins are very much elder to me and most of them are having kids ranging from 14-3 yrs... And all of them call me aunt...

1 person likes this.
  6. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Hmm. Perhaps we should even have a problem with our kid calling us 'mommy' :) LOL. Younger people will call their prior generation as per the relation - niece or nephew will call us Aunt, and their kids will call us grandma *gasp*
    But thats just the relation - they cannot change the relshp LOL!

If someone (not our family or relative, but an acquaintance) is close to our age - then we can tell them our preference.

when you are in 30s, you are one foot closer to middle age entrance, and in 40s you have entered it. So, its what it is.

If you try to be in denial, kids will shake you out of denial :)

VanithaSudhir and anika987 like this.
  7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

I think when people who r just little younger than ur age may be 4-5 yrs than it pinched to be called as aunty....imagine a 25yrs old calling 30 yrs old as aunty....
    rest small kids will call u aunty may be in 20s n 30s....

anika987 likes this.
  8. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

U r right cool gal.this one girl who is 28 called me aunty when I was 33.just 5 yrs difference.looks wise we were no younger or older than each other.

she was unmarried and iam a mom.tats the only point.
    she was doing her phd in usa.

However another guy who I met called me akka meaning elder sister.
    he was almost 14 yrs younger.tat did feel good.

9. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I would accept if the other person who calls me 'Aunty" is around my kid's age, so it is absolutely fine for my niece, nephew, or the friends of my kids. Oh, well they all are less then 10 yrs of age.

But a young girl in her 18s or ready to get married stage to call me "aunty" is not fine. I take it as an offence because I don't look like an "aunty".

Sometimes, it may be fine for the women who look like "aunties" at their 30s or even late 20s with less care and maintenance. That may be the price for their lack of self care .
    But why me? Because I take a very good effort and care to maintain my shape, hair, skin and body. I look young, and younger than of my age. I have compromised so much to be right here.

When many strangers questions about my marriage like "when's wedding?", why should I accept being called as "aunt" as a casual and normal incident? Perhaps, it is a reflection of one stomach burning woman/man to offend me.

nevertheless, no one called me Aunty yet.

3 people like this.
  10. chocogal26

chocogal26 Platinum IL'ite

very right SGBV....I agree with you...how old your kids? are you 30+ and less than 35....
    just the curiosity....i like your kind of confident women who have more than one kid/two kids but they are maintained very well.

1 person likes this.