1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Stitching alterations please

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by sleela, Aug 20, 2006.

1. sleela

sleela New IL'ite

thanks a lot

Dear Varloo,

was really happy to see ur response to my thread reg chudi...as u told shall stitch closer for tight fitting....but for armhole ( top... )( sleeve...) should the measurement be the same or not ......can u pl tell me......sorry for the trouble.....

Thanks once again...

Leela.....

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I did not understand your doubt. I usually measure a model dress of mine and stitich accordingly. So I am not familiar with the measurements. So please excuse me, I am not able to help you. I hope someone else will help you.

3. sleela

sleela New IL'ite

thanks again

Hi Varloo,

saw ur thread to my reply.....nevermind......as u told, shall ask some of our other friends who may help me.........

thanks....

Leela...

4. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

sewing

hi tailoring experts,

last week i purchased a sewing machine......having some basic knowledge of tailoring tried a chudi......usually stiching neck( B & F ) is diifficult...for me it came out perfectly.....but for top cloth near the armhole( F & B ) hanging.....can any experts tell how to adjust this....if i adjust the chest...it is tight.....pl help me....another thing when marking armhole for top & sleeve shd the measurements be the same for both or different.......the reply of the experts will help all....

thanks,

Zee

5. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear zee,
    yes, the measurement for the front and back are different for the armhole. The cloth is cut inside for the front and out side for the back. I shall attach a picture tomorrow, please bear with me. It is difficult to adjust the neck and armhole once it is cut. Please say specifically the problem, I shall try my best.

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

dear Zeenth

Like Varloo said,armhole cutting for F & B is slightly different.For front,you have to cut a little deep only then you will not have that hanging in front.Also,for sleeves too,there is a slight difference in cutting for F & B and the measurements should also match for armhole and sleeve.

7. Zeenth

Zeenth New IL'ite

Hi Varloo & Sunitha,

Thanks a ton for both ur responses....words fall short to express my feelings..u asked to specify the problem...how many inchs to cut inside ( F ) & outside ( B ) for armhole....& what is the measuements for ( F ) & ( B ) for sleeve......i usually mark for other parts.....but don't know the measurements for armhole & sleeve......random cutting spoils the whole thing

Thanks
    Zee

8. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Dear Varloo and Sunitha

I want to try stiching a Chudithar with lining(first time).

The lining cloth-should it be cut separately to cut togather with the outer piece. Is there any measurement difference for lining cloth and outer cloth?

Thanks a lot.

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear vijee,
    if u can preshrink the material then no need for extra space but other wise u may need 1/2 inch extra and u should stitch on the wrong side being on the outer....with both the lining and outer material all over along with neck too then turn over and stitch the bottom part atlast by folding it inwards and give a double line of stitch to give a professional touch & smooth finish...hope been of help regards sunkan

1 person likes this.
  10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Vijee

I know only basic stitching.Did a crash course in tailoring for a month and learnt to stitch a basic churidhar,blouse,dress and skirt.All very basic.I have never tried my hand at stitching with lining.What Sundari says is correct.That is exactly what you should do.