1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Stiff neck

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Agatha83, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

While enjoying a music concert in a posh auditorium,a middle aged lady dressed in all her splendor sat next to my seat. I couldn't resist my temptation of looking at her designer Kanjeevaram Saree, dazzling diamonds, manicured nails etc but it was one of those moments that my neck turned stiff and refused to obey my command.I still went ahead and turned my neck 45 degrees but along with an excruciating pain,the entire hall went for a spin,which was quite a frightening experience.

When the pain turned serious, stalling my routine activities I decided to seek the opinion of an expert doctor.After a perusal of a list of doctors recommended by friends I was more confused then ever.So I embarked on a journey on my own, in finding a good doctor who could cure my stiff neck. The experiences I went through under different doctors will sure beat even those hot reality shows which get maximum TRP ratings.Here I go!

As I entered the OP dept of orthopedics of a famous private hospital I found a big crowd, most of them in bandages and slings, anxiously waiting for the doctor. I parted with a substantial amount of money with a heavy heart, as consulting fees at the reception,even before I could meet the doctor. But I was feeling positive about the outcome of my consultation, looking at the huge crowds that thronged the room. It was a long wait for the doctor,as he was caught in an emergency surgery .

When at last my name was called, I anxiously barged into his room. With the air con blasting a chill, my body shuddered and my teeth clattered leaving me with a feeling that I was on top of the Alphs. He asked me to explain my problem in very few words,as he was running out of time. When I was asked to touch the top of my head like a Padmasura,he found me struggling hard to perform that simple task and I was diagnosed as having frozen shoulders,a common problem which occurs to one and all.Then he suddenly turned relaxed and started sharing his experience of having the same problem he had while playing tennis in London and how he got over it without taking a pill.He showed me how well he played underhand,overhand, back hand etc -which all cured his frozen shoulder effectively and paused to look at me for my reaction.

I put up a blank expression as I could not enjoy those frozen tennis moments. I was anxiously waiting for some prescription medicines that could relieve my pain. Then he said he was leaving for London the same night and will be back after a fortnight by the time which he hoped my frozen shoulder would be back to normal. He asked me to make rotis daily, knead the dough with my hands,not to use any gadgets,hand wash clothes, wash vessels and take to skipping daily,the activities which should unfreeze my shoulders.That was a tall order given the painful condition of my stiff neck and shoulder.I bid goodbye to the Doctor forever wishing him a happy London visit. That night I had dreams of the doctor playing Wimbledon tennis with Nadal, shouting “ Love all’and me washing vessels and clothes, shedding tears due to the unbearable pain.

My visit to another doctor was more conducive. Looking at the X Ray report which he asked me to take immediately, and listening to my problem, he quickly scribbled a long list of prescription medicines, which looked more of a grocery list,physiotheraphy for 15 days along with IFT - an effort which took hardly 2mts.I Went through all these procedures laboriously for a fortnight but still the pain was like a sticky bubble gum which refused to leave me. Finally when he asked whether I was ready to undergo surgery - its result which he could not guarantee 100% I refused point blank. With two senior citizens at home to be taken care of I dreaded a surgery even in my dreams.

When I was still struggling with pain, one of my neighbours suggested a doctor who treated patients holistically with a scientific approach.I searched the website,found out his phone number and made an appointment immediately.There was a big smart tv in his waiting room which was educating the patients about health issues like slipped disc,arthritis etc and how this doctor treated them effectively.

I was impressed very much looking at the videos and eagerly looked forward towards meeting him.As soon as I entered his room and spoke a few words about my problem he immediately wrote a string of tests to be taken. MRI scan,vitamin d test,bone mineral density etc and asked me to meet him after a week. The consultation lasting only a few minutes made me poorer by a few thousands. The scan, tests and the vitamin supplements cost me a total of Rs.30000

After going through the results which was full of medical jargon, I started comparing them with Google results and then I panicked. It made me feel that my bones were on the verge of breaking in to pieces any time and I was probably counting the last days of my precious life.

The doctor who always looked like one who was in a hurry to catch a plane, asked me to report for exercises just for 15 minutes. I happily agreed to it but when I asked the cost of the treatment he quoted an obscene amount which was good enough for me to buy one way ticket to USA. I bid goodbye to the doctor and turned home without looking back.

It was almost a year since I had been struggling with the shoulder pain and a stiff neck, with no respite in sight even after spending a hefty sum of money.When someone suggested therapeutic yoga I gave a thought and decided to try it. There was a counselling session and it was there I realized it was stress which was playing havoc with my health. Relaaaxxxx- the counsellor said "take deep breaths, and do not tense up your shoulders”, looking at my tear filled eyes.There were only 4 classes, one class every month lasting 15 Minutes and the charge was Rs 10000. A retinue of yoga exercises to be practiced at home for a month and the results would be followed up diligently.

For 3 months I practiced yoga religiously, the fish pose, the cobra pose,the dog pose , along with deep breathing exercises all of them which helped me to relax to a great extent. But finally none of the poses could cure my stiff neck pose which persisted and was unyielding. The therapists finally said I had to meet an ortho doctor who was the only competent person who could cure such rarest of rare cases.

Crest fallen but not the one to give up my fight against the nagging pain I started my search seriously with the help of Google and there i found some names of good doctors - therapists who were capable of treating such conditions. The reviews given by the treated patients at the website gave me some hope and the next day I was knocking the door of one among them.

The doctor went through all the reports patiently along with my ramblings for a few minutes. Assuring me that there was nothing serious to worry about or nothing to be scared about, he started explaining me as how the bones tend to become brittle and how the degradation of muscles, joints and discs ,both cervical and spinal happen slowly and how once they start pinching the nerves we slowly feel the pain. So the best thing to do was to put back those muscles,discs, bone spurs in their proper places with a few exercises with which he felt, should knock out the stiffness of my neck.For the first time I met a doctor who could spare a few minutes explaining my condition and how it could be tackled, along with the assurance that the treatment will work for me.

Three months of exercises with follow ups every month has resulted in a life which is less painful..The exercises were very painful but the analgesic ointments and use of ice packs on painful regions,reduced the after effects to a great extent.

I often wonder if this is going to be the trials and tribulations of a knowledgable woman what will be the fate of millions of Illiterate poor Indians, for whom good medical help is beyond their reach both physically and financially. How many of us can afford such pricey treatments with rising inflation?

Well all is now well and I can lift both my hands and say hurray as most of the political leaders do during political meetings.And I can also look at the stylish lady sitting next to me during the coming music season and admire her dazzling diamonds.Hurray!

vaidehi71, periamma, Mindian and 5 others like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

But why, Agatha? Such resolve would confound a Miss Marple's neurons too.

Good one. When a pain in the neck can give rise to humor, one can but :hatsoff

2 people like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Oh wow what a painful experience you shared. I could picture it completely. Well narrated. Gone are those days when we had a family doctor who really knew all in the family, who knew the family history who can recommend proper solution without ordering unnecessary tests. Gone are those days when medical profession was more of a service. There are very few doctors who are service minded these days. I prefer nurse pactotioners in this country who also went to medical school. They anaylse the whole situation and spend enough time discussing with the patient. They seem to be more experienced too!

Hopefully you enjoy the margazhi performances without any pain.

1 person likes this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Rihana,
    Many times we describe an annoying person as one who is a pain in the neck, whom we try get rid of immediately. But my journey through this painful ordeal which I couldn't get rid of, taught me many good lessons.I wish I had the patience of Miss,Marple! I added some humor in to an otherwise drab issue.:)

5. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Having been treated by doctors who gave simple cough mixtures in a brown bottle and some powders made on small packets,who had patience to feel the pulse,talk to the patient kindly- all this for a measly sum,Iwas astonished at the consulting fees of many of them which crossed thousands.Cervical spondlytis are kinds of disease which need very special care and attention and there are very few doctors in India who can treat them.Due to heavy rains many concerts are cancelled.Still I will try my luck in finding the best dressed lady - one who is becoming a rare specimen nowadays!

1 person likes this.
  6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Agatha,

What u described reminded me of the movie Anand, the rajesh khanna one. one doc says to [patient nothing is worng with u, the patient isnot happy and goes to another doc, who prescribes tests and all tat.

Same thing happened to u, the first doc, u did not trust, u should have. The doc that costs u the least is the best, and not the one that makes uspends on tests etc.

Do u know, the docs get 30 pc of the commissionon yr mdicla tests. So the one who does not , means he is agood doc, who is not interested in yr money.

Glad to know u are fine now.

Regards

kamal

2 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Agatha
    What a splendid piece of writing this is! The tongue in cheek humour is delectable. Being a septuagenarian, I have gone through all the ailments that you can find in a medical encyclopaedia. Neck becoming stiff, shoulder freezing even in summer, disc waiting for an opportunity to get out of its moorings, feet loosing their link with the sensory nerve, these are all tell tale signs of ageing. Another septuagenarian of IL calls it growing process! She hates to call it part of ageing.

I have written a lot about my visits to Doctors. One of the Doctors even calls my visits as learning process because I am usually better informed than the Doctors about the various ailments. Being busy, the Doctors hardly find any time to browse the net and update their knowledge but I have all the time in the world. Once a dentist told me, 'Others have 32 teeth but you seem to have teeth all over your body since you have so much knowledge about teeth!'

The best dressed ladies in music concerts can be found not among the audience but on stage!
    Sri

3 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Agatha

Reading your superb narration with humour added I thought this should go to the finest forum but I have finished all my nominations for this month. I think last time when I told you this you said since you are new you dont know about the nominations.

I have also experienced stiff necks with frozen shoulder so know how painful it is. But I dont think it took one year . Now recently my brother's wife is having frozen shoulder and is suffering. She was telling some people told her it will take 3 months to become ok, if I tell her it took one year fo ryou she will be more worried.
    Anyway good you are ok now and able to see the ladies with best kanjeevaram sarees and jewelleries.

3 people like this.
  9. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Agatha,
    Great write up, and I am glad you are feeling better now. It is scary that you had to go through so much to get some relief.
    My mom goes to a lady doctor in Mylapore, who does the Kerala-style herbal hot oil massages. She finds it very helpful for back pain. I can get the contact information if you like.

10. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji,
    Anand's Rajesh Khanna suffers from an incurable cancer in its final stages.No my pain was like one which radiated from neck to fingers even with a simple movement of trying to comb my hair. Only in films you do have husbands fondly helping out their wives in distress but in real life the situation is just the opposite.The first doctor A leading orthopedic surgeon just was not interested in my case and thus washed off his hands.This led to my search for some genuine doctors,one which I could finally land upon.It is a frustrating experience when you are unable to carry out your daily chores!

1 person likes this.