1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Starting Indian Food

Discussion in 'Infants' started by dallascw, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    My baby is 7 months and has been eating solid food since 5 month. He is now eating solids 3 times a day . Breakfast is oatmeal + fruit pureed ( usually apple with cinnamon), Lunch is any Stage 2 Gerber jar, Dinner is Rice cereal with vegetable pureed ( add a pinch of cumin).
    My question is when is a good time to slowly start introducing indian baby food such as idlies, rasam etc. Also what are good "first" Indian food. My baby had a history of milk protein allergy so I am little cautious of giving yoghurt or ghee ( though I would love it if he gets the taste of it) but any suggestion of non-diary indian food.
    I also have a packet of raagi cereal... baby does not like the taste. What can add to it for him to like it ?
    Tips/suggestions welcome

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    My question is when is a good time to slowly start introducing indian baby food such as idlies, rasam etc. Also what are good "firstfood. "

Now is a good time to start so that your baby learns to like Indian food while still in the stage where he will accept new things. Cooked rice is my first choice. Mix with dal (moong/toor) and start. I ran it in the mixie initially and after a few days started mashing it by hand. Add a bit of salt/pepper if he wont take it plain. After a mnth you can add a bit of clear rasam to this. If he tolerates rice/dal well then start adding cooked veggies (carrot/beetroot/potato/snake gourd) to it. This makes a good balanced lunch as ther are carbs, proteins and veggies. You can add a dollop of ghee for taste/fats. After a couple of weeks of rice you can start idli. I'm putting it second as it also contains urad dal (I always prefer single ingredient items first).Soak with milk/formula/breast milk and add a bit of sugar if you like. After 10 mnths add on kichdi/uppma/roti etc.

I also have a packet of raagi cereal... baby does not like the taste. What can add to it for him to like it ?

Sugar helps. Or if you are aprticular abt avoiding sugar add breastmilk/formula.

HTH.

Vanathi.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi dallascw, welcome to Indus Ladies! You are in the right place, the ladies here are very supportive and friendly. You'll get a ton of advice! I have a four and a half month old, so I don't have any experience with solid foods yet, but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

[​IMG]
    Raj

[​IMG]

4. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Thank you Aadhu's and Riya's mom.. really encouraging.. I will start with the rice/dhal combo mixed with salt/pepper. Love reading all the tips on this site.

5. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Okay my baby is officially on an solid eating strike :) Just started spitting all his food after a couple of mouthful. He really shows what he likes and does not like and right now he likes nothing !! I did not even start anything new ..all clothes have spit up right now.. first I thought it was a one day thing but now it is 3 days since he has been eating well like he did a couple of days ago. Is this common ? He used eat so well and almost anything.

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I havent experienced any strikes until now (thank God)....but I was just thinking...is he well otherwise..cold/fever? recent vaccinations?...active?...how abt milk - is he drinking as well as usual? If everything else is ok the maybe you could just reduce quantities of solids for a few days and see...

Vanathi.

7. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

No fever..but yes he is more active now.. started crawling around like crazy. Today morning I reduced the oatmeal qty and he actually ate all of it so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is just a phase. Thanks for caring. It is nice to know there are other people.

8. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

dallascw, it it's any consolation, my friend in India has a 10 month old daughter and she goes on "strikes" every now and then. My friend keeps coming up with new things to cook for her but she eats once and then she refuses it totally. So don't worry, this must be just a phase.

9. dallascw

dallascw Senior IL'ite

Afternoon the moment I made him sit in his high chair he made the "brr" sound ( blowing rasberries) stating he did not want the food... tried giving him a few spoons of rice cereal and mixed vegetables..but did not like it.. took a chance took some rasam and put it in the mix and he had some more spoonsful... I think I need to stop giving this kid bland baby food :)
    Okay so far I have suggestions for
    1) Rice/lentils
    2) Iddly
    Any other suggestions? Also how do you adapt your cooking so that by the time the baby is ready to eat food from the table they do not find it too spicy or overwhelming.
    Any mothers there with babies with a milk protein allergy ? When did you start giving cow's milk and yoghurt ?

10. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear dallascw

idly is a very safe dish to start offf frm the indian food...also cooked rice with a combi of dals and vegs wud be a good choice.....if the baby starts liking idly then it is a boon for you....

lov
    sowmi