Started taking software testing courses with a view to get a job in US..please guide

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by mahdee, Jul 4, 2009.

1. mahdee

mahdee New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I just started taking software testing courses in India, as courses in US are too costly. Will be leaving to US on H4 this oct'..I have 2 yrs of experience in operations in IBM bangalore. Resigned my job recently, as i wanted to spend time with my parents who stay in hyd till i go to US. So, meanwhile decided to take these courses here, so that it would help me get a job in US.

So can anybody tell me..
    1) When can I start applying for the H1?
    2) How do I start my job search?

I m trying my best not to be a housewife or spend my time in US just as a H4 holder. Want to keep myself busy and work.
    I want to give a try atleast....pls suggest

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009

2. Shilpa23

Shilpa23 Senior IL'ite

Re: Started taking software testing courses with a view to get a job in US..please gu

hi,
    You can apply for H1B after coming to USA because when u apply for H1B in India u need to go India for stamping.So my suggestion is , it is better to apply in USA.One thing bring all the necessary documents along with u in a file and folder so that while apply it will be easy for u to search for those documents.After applying for H1B u will have time then u can just brush up ur topics once and get ready for interviews.I think in my opinion u can apply after this december because market is dry now .First u need to prepare ur resume showing 7 to 8 yrs of experience and one covering letter.Then u need to apply for jobs in website called "dice.com".Open once dice.com site u will find information regarding jobs in USA.Go to "advanced search".Type ur job type in "keyword" text area.Select ur country/state from which u want to search job in the "state/country" checklist.I hope this information will help u .

Ok ALL THE BEST FOR U AND GRAND WELCOME TO USA:welcome.

THANKS ,
    SHILPA:).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. mahdee

mahdee New IL'ite

Re: Started taking software testing courses with a view to get a job in US..please gu

Hey thanks Shilpa for ur response....
    Well yes, even I think its better to apply from there, but one thing that makes me to think is how do I keep 7 to 8 yrs of experience just like that..as age also matters, how come they will blindly agree to the fact taht i gained these many yrs of exp. Wont they come to know abt this?

4. Shilpa23

Shilpa23 Senior IL'ite

hai mahdee,
    In USA they keep 7 to 8 yrs truely speaking they won't have that much of experience.U see a nice consultancy in India as well as in USA.I think u have work experience previously in India.You can give ur collegues references in India.In USA u can give ur husband's collogues moblie number as reference ,who can help u.They don't investigate so much here they see the recent project more.If they have any doubt they just enquire about u regarding recent project which u can give ur manager name i.e reference as ur husband's collegue mail id and moblie number.That person just need to say as he knows u very well.Like this they ask ur role in the team thats all .They will not do any hard enquiry.Only thing is the person whom u refer sholud be confident while speaking .U can say that u did internship while studying in India .The age and the job doesn't matter here.All these things u will know when u start applying for jobs.Don't worry.Hope u will get job soon.

BYE,
    SHILPA:).