1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

started pumping today,giving up already

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by loonypooh, Jan 19, 2010.

1. priyamuthu

priyamuthu Senior IL'ite

Thanks megsmom and mridusudha.
    i'm travelling on feb th. i need to buy it before that/ let me chk for the coupons. if u get yours, kindly post that too. appreciate your help.
    Priya

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes Pon, thats what the plan is. i shall nurse her at evenings, and night feeds, also before leaving for work. formula wld only be the case if i still dont seem to letdown on my own, when at work :(
    the only thing that worrie me now is, will she take formula so late?

3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

In case your LO is not used to formula then she may not like the taste. It tastes so medicinal, I myself tasted it and therefore switched over to packet milk. I am giving iron supplements so no issues. My paed said packet milk is fine no tabela milk. Actually LO's are like us only, if we like something they too would like the similar food and we don't like something then too don't like it. You mentioned your workplace is in your home itself so I think ever BFing should not be a problem in the breaks. Pumping too, that is if you find the time, I didn't want to get too stressed with pumping coz I know for sure it might affect my health in the end plus I didn't have all that great supply but now I manage just as fine as when I was at home.

I have reduced eating in between meals at office, that's how I manage well at night and it was only the first two days that my breasts did pain but then later it was fine. My mother too keeps telling me that you need to take care of your health too girl, don't ignore it. Sometimes I feel its so true.

I still do not know how is formula made - which milk is used any idea???????????? :idea

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Poonam, it is not time to cross the bridge yet... don't let it worry you now. Do try with the pump, see if you will be able to manage pumping when Z is latched and see if pumping on a regular basis trains your breasts into letting down. If it does not, formula is an option.
    At 9 months, you could have her eating solids when you are away and bfing only when you are with her and not do the formula with her at all if it does not work out. Do work with your office to see if they will give you a lunch break + 1 bfing session - the Indian Maternity Leave Act allows for mom with a child below the age of 15 months to get up to 3 bfing breaks during the course of her work hour. You may start looking for a place near your work place, so that not much of your work time is taken away. There is so much that can be planned if you keep your mind free of fear. Hang in there, I so hope you are able to respond well to the pump at least partly.

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka, thanks for being there always, being a FTM can be so demanding at times, that many a times its difficult to keep self calm and stressfree.... however yesterday for the first time i was able to letdown the right breast and collected 3 oz without DDs help.. i dont know if this wld happen again, but as u say, things might work out... iwill continue to work on it and pump once a day, to train my breasts.
    i am not sure abt the pumping and feeding breaks, and how easy wld it be to go home or to ask DH to bring baby to office, but yest i was talking to DH about building a freezer stash.... 1 month prior to i join office and i pump and keep accumulating.
    the only thing now that i need to find out is, the powercuts in hyderabad!

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam - Initially I was able to get letdown only with my left B. But now Im able to do it with both. Keep trying.
    And I am impressed with your planning yaar !!

Tikka - I never knew about this act. I assume there is no company which will not follow it. I am thinking that may be I vcan visit Adu during lunch. Thanks for pointing this out to the Ignorant Me :bowdown

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

yay poonam, hope this happens more often.... sending your prayers and positive energy.

Ramya, this is the act. In TN, I believe the rules are 16 weeks paid leave and then you can take the breaks. Good luck with it. I did not know of its existence, till I started researching for my article on breastfeeding in india :)

8. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

TIkka - It says only 12 weeks of paid leave.
    But the breaks part looks good. Let me see if I can use it. THanks !

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

my understanding is this - this is a central act and each state is supposed to frame rules for it. TN has 16 weeks' leave mandated for its employees. Haryana and Punjab give 6 months' leave. Maharasthra 12 weeks. Maybe Nitha can throw some light here.

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

bah! and that was the only one time i got the letdown :(
    this is so frustrating... no more letdowns for me with the pump :(
    LO has been soooooooooooooooo fussy these days my head starts to spin and i dont even want to bother to sit down n pump anymore.... she yelling in another room....
    thinking of taking a break from this pumping trial and error for a while.... i am so overtired these days :(