1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

started pumping today,giving up already

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by loonypooh, Jan 19, 2010.

1. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Mridusudha, I am not liking the taste of mothers milk tea. Can you please let me know how you made your tea?

Also, my LO had appt last week 6days after hospital discharge and he weighed 5lbs. During the discharge he weighed 4.6lbs.

Even though he is gaining well, I am not sure if its the formula or BFing since I am giving him formula after every feed. This was ped/doc suggestions since mine was a 34week premie and the docs wanted to ensure that he was getting enough. But once I start good supply thriugh pumping, I will eventually stop Formula.

Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Shyl

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Shyl,

I warm one big cup of water in microwave, add the tea bag and let it settle down for 10-15 mins...I also add one teasppon of honey when the water is warm...Mix it an either drink it when the water is warm or cold...whichever way you like...Adding honey definitely tastes the tea better..

Your feeding plan is approved by the doctor so don't worry...

Do not stress..Because stress is not going to help you in milk production in any way..
    Did you check out Kellymom.com..It's a very good site which has lots of breastfeeding info..
    Here's the link regarding pumping
    kellymom.com :: I'm not pumping enough milk. What can I do?

Regarding initial weight loss for your LO, it's normal...They will get back to their birth weight within 2-3 weeks of birth...

BTW, which breast pump are you using?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Enjoy your LO!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam - I used to do the same. Pump on onside when LO feeds on the other. It works great, right?

4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Poonam, Ramya, How do you manage to pump while feeding. Can you please elaborate the positioning, if possible?

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

yes ramya thats the only way i am able to express. but then there is a problem. when i start to work, zoey wont be with me... also at night i cant turn on the pump n wake up poor bAby while Z is nursing... so essentially i just wont be able to pump then n will hv to put her on formula partially

after 1 wk of trying, my body still wont letdown with the pump :(

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hugs, Poo. It becomes a challenge indeed. but I am sure you will do great no matter what. Even if you do have to give formula, you are no less a mom for what you are doing/going to be doing for Z.

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Poonam - For me it took 3 days or so to have a letdown with the pump (now that is gone :(().
    May be it is just taking longer for you. Continue pumping .... it will be fine.

Rekha - Positioning .... thats a real challenge :)
    LO can suck on one side and you need to have the pump assembled and ready. Once LO starts feed, I position the pump on the other side ..... you may have only one hand free for this. Of late, I am finding this difficult as LO keeps kicking and is interested to know where the pumping noise comes from !!

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

tikka DH says dont give up and keep trying, i hv tried everything smelling her blankie, staying calm, watching tv, massaging and stimulating nipple, warm wash cloth... but heck! i dont know why is it so hard to get the letdown to happen.
    even if i join work, zoey wld be around 9 months old, so i guess solids wld kick in too....
    i am just sad that this pumping isnt working out for us :(

9. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Thanks Mridusudha for all the helpful info and encouraging words. Today, I have seen a good amount of supply. Not sure if the mothers milk tea played a role here or is it regular pumping that helped but I feel a lot relaxed. Hopefully I can do better in next couple days. I will keep you posted on the updates.

I am using the Medela pump.

Thanks
    Shyl

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poonam, at zoey's 9months, say you are away from her from 9 to 6pm, she takes solids and formula, you can manage BF in the late evenings, nights and mornings isn't it?? Lynette does that for her baby :) If this is what is working for you, then its 100% fine, Pooh :))) May be you can pump at work, if you feel too full and uncomfortable, letdown would be faster then:thumbsup