1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

started pumping today,giving up already

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by loonypooh, Jan 19, 2010.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

so i started to pump today. have an avent isis uno electric. although i hv yet used only the manual pump... my nipples are sore and after 10 mins of pumping got only 1 oz of milk... i thought maybe i should try later ...
    so sterlized the pump once again and tried after few hours, this time got less than 1 oz after pumping for 10 mins and it hurt.

i cld see the skin of my nipple rubbing against the horn tube...

i am lost at what to do

2. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Poonam, same happened to me also in the beginning. I gave up manual pumping after that. I got an electric one 4 days ago, the first day it worked very well. second time I tried, same story, not getting enough milk even when I know I am oversupply these days. almost decided to give up, tried again yesterday got enough milk.

One of my friends who is a regular pumper suggested to warm the breasts before pumping, then lean forwards, switch on the tv and start pumping.

3. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Poonam, dont worry.. It happened to me as well.. It needs practice... Pump daily for few minutes... and u will do welll..

But I am not sure about the pain.. I think adjusting the position of the shield might help...

Vidyaa

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

I think you need a bigger funnel.
    What size do u have?

Initially I used 24mm and it was too small and it rubbed my nipples like hell. Now I use 27mm.
    BTW, I use an electric one. I have no idea about the manual pump!!

Also, initially when you start pumping you will not get much (may be an ounce or two) because your body is not used for pumping...When you pump more often then you will get more..It might take even 2-3 days to actually see the difference..

Try to engage yourself while pumping and not look at the pump..Read a book or watch TV. That really helps a lot because the more u watch the pump the less you might get...My Own experience!!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Poonam,

Not to discourage you but this is the reason I gave up! I have a manual, it was such a pain to pump milk though I have an oversupply. :spin The nipple soreness gets better after a couple of days, just adjust the way you hold the pump. But Nilu is much more effective and I've dropped the pump! Do try the other suggestions, maybe it will work for you. Good luck!

6. Dilchahtahai

Dilchahtahai Senior IL'ite

Poonam
    Don't lose heart. I pumped and BFed my little guy for one whole year (I started working when he was 3 MO and wanted to exclusively BF him).
    First, you need an electric Pump. I am not sure manual pump would generate enough pressure to take enough milk out. Then see if your funnel is right size. If nipple is rubbing against it, either you are not situating the pump right way or the funnel is wrong size. You need to do some research. Also, you need to be relaxed. The way I used to do it is: Everytime before pumping, I would eat something (like a granola bar or some nutrious stuff like oatmeal). Then drink some water. Then sit down and start the pump. Message your breasts , take a deep breath , lean forward and start pumping. Key is to be relaxed. Read a book, listen to some music and dont worry about the quantity in the bottle. When I first started, I would have a let down in 1 minute. Later it started becoming 2 minutes. GRdually 3 minutes... Relaxing, and looking at a picture of your baby or smelling his/her cloths, would get you let down faster.
    If you really want to do it, you need to be relaxed,. If you are doing it at home, ask someone to look after your baby while u move away to a quite place and pump. If you are doing it at work, you definitely need a picture of ur baby or his/her clothes to smell. And try to pump 3 times a day at least.. That would get your nipples used to the pump. Yes it is hard in the beginning and u need to apply some butter/ ghee / lansinoh cream on nipples before you go to sleep. That would help heal them..
    Hope all this helps.. Have heart. I know its very hard but If you really want to do it, you can do it.

7. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Poonam has an electric pump, I was the one who mentioned manual pump. I too have an electric one now.

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Poonam,

Don't give up just yet - Can you order a bigger set of horns? They usually ship the medium/standard size with the purchase, for some of us, it is too small and it hurts badly. I had the same issue and buying the XL or XXL size solved it. Go to Medela.com where you can find a link about how to measure the diameter of the horns correctly (for your breasts). Good Luck, hang in there.

PS - For Medela, the standard one shipped is 24mm diameter, I had to get the 30mm diameter.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Is there a way to turn down the speed or suction in your pump - sorry I know Medela electric ones have it, but not sure if Avent does. It looks to me that suction may be a tad high.
    Your nipple should be drawn into the funnel and can rub the sides. That should not cause pain. Use lansinoh or lanolin when you pump the first few times, it is a different feeling from one pump to the other also. Is the horn a soft flexible one? If it is hard plastic, that could feel uncomfortable too.
    When did you pump Poonam? If you had pumped after feeding your child, then 1 oz is pretty much normal. And pumping should mimic bfing, so if your baby is now feeding 15 minutes pump for 15 minutes. Use breast compressions with the pump also, it helps release the hind milk more efficiently. The trick I was told (but never worked for me) is to drink water/juice/liquids) while you pump, that somehow increases the pumping volume - mommies who pump regularly may have their own tricks. HTH

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

sudha- yes it is an electric pump but i started using the manual option of it to see and get used to how the pumping really works.

sindhu- apparently they dont hv horns bigger than 27 mm but that is okie. since my nipple is i guess just the average size, but then i know what u mean by using a bigger horn, so i removed the massage cushion, after which the flange size becomes 27 mm instead. and yes this pretty much relieved the pain...

vidya- i did realise that i need practice positioning the pump, and that is why at times it hurt and i reposition, it would be painfree...

tikka- thats one good thing i like about this pump is we can set our own rhythm and speed of suction...

today i tried using the electric version of the pump, and the pain was almost gone, its weird that the manual one pain pretty bad, or maybe becoz the massage cushion was removed so the flange was bigger this time.
    i give zoey one side at a time, so once i fed her,and after an hour i started to pump the other side... but still the same thing 1 oz in 10 mins collected :(

tikka zoey only feeds for a max of 10 mins at a time, so does that mean she only gets 1 oz of milk from latching on??