1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Star Of The Week - Lets Have Some Fun Cooking Healthy!

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by Iravati, May 30, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Dear veglites,
    I am drafting this in a flashy typeface and color so that it stands out as a shout-out from the regular updates.

Laks, babe, we have to elect "potato" this time as its availability is global, and there are unbound options, and people are less allergic to the hearty potato, and I would feel less disappointed on eating it on Saturday if everyone plays me false.

Ingredient: Potato
    Venue: This thread
    Time: Saturday, June 03, 9 am IST (onwards)

Remind me again, what is this about: Cook your favourite, popular or regional potato dish and post a picture, and write up something if you want to describe your creation. A standalone picture of the dish will do better. Ease: In between now and Saturday, cook the dish anytime but post the picture on Saturday.

Why potato? There is more variety in the form of dum, bake, rosti, mash, kofta and if we pull this through, we can consider the more daunting suran.

P.S: Fun event open to everyone and not limited to only the regular or active participants of the thread. If you are passive, lurking, or slyly drooling the food pictures here, put your best potato foot forward and join us.

Admin note:

Iravati pitched this Veggie of the week idea and from all the contributions I realized we need a dedicated thread for her brain child. Now, Ira, I know you started off with regional and food we grew up eating but as long as its fun creating and recreating I think we can gladly accept all contributions.

I was intending to ask for calorie conscious choices while creating this thread. I'm noting with the contributions for week 1 that a wide selection of dishes are available for readers to choose from - salads to fried. Now if humble aaloo can be pulled in all these directions, I have no doubt we will continue to see creative ways to get the star of the week in recipes without blowing off our carefully crafted diet plans. So if it's once a week splurge or a regular dish, please contribute.

So here it is!

The idea is simple. One ingredient is picked as the star of the week. Everyone gets one week to cook and photograph a recipe featuring our star ingredient. Contributions can begin on Saturday @ 8:30 AM IST (8:00 PM Friday PST, 4:00 AM Saturday GMT).

Contributions can be recipes, photos, calorific value, healthy tips, portion sizes etc. The ideas are endless.

Please limit this thread to CONTRIBUTIONS ONLY. All feedback and other comments can be made on the accompanying feedback and comments thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
    parineetha, Shanvy, damini and 6 others like this.

2. damini

damini Gold IL'ite

03.06.17 Chosen vegetable - Potato
    Today I made Potato Podimas. As a child I used to hate this. I would wonder why people are wasting potato! Cut to present, my daughter loves this dish! My karma!

This is a simple dish with boiled and cubed potato with a tempering of mustard, chana dal, urad dal, hing, finely chopped green chillies & ginger, turmeric powder, P_20170603_084546.jpg salt, curry leaves and finished with lemon juice, grated coconut and coriander leaves.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  3. mani75

mani75 Silver IL'ite

IMG_20170603_130108.jpg My contribution today

Aloo Tikki - the humble boiled potato + some stale white bread add some simple spices - Jeera, salt, red chilly powder and amchur. All mixed together and formed into flat discs.

Fried in oil - the right temp ensures that the Tikki is crisp but not oily.

Served with mint chutney and tomoto ketchup

The go to snack in most homes of my community for evenings when children come back from school or when unexpected guest arrive.
    Some make it plain, some add grated ginger, some add crushed peanuts for added crunch. Some stuff paneer, cheese, corn or raisin & cashew.

I like it plain, like it is always ready at my mum's home. Today made it for DS dabba snack.

Thank you Shanvy Ma'am, Satchi Ma'am, Maggi, Iravati, Neetu , Laks, damini and all others who contribute regularly. I lurk and learn. Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards
    Mani 75

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Batatyacha rassa.jpg

Here's my potato dish of the day - Maharashtrian batatyacha rassa.

Breakfast: Coffee, boiled egg

Lunch: Plain paratha, batatyacha rassa

5. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

IMG_4857.JPG
    Pan fried
    Potato bread cutlets

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Date: 03.06.17
    Vegetable: Potato

Aloo fry: Tried to replicate the way my momma makes at home.

Onions, boiled potatoes, garlic, ginger, chillies (green + red), curry leaves, pinch of masala

PF-AF.png

anika987, Jey, parineetha and 9 others like this.
  7. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Date: 03.06.17
    Main vegetable: Potato, again.

Mix boiled potato, boiled cauliflower, grated cheese, basil paste, funnel seeds, chilli, turmeric, salt, chilli powder, mango powder, pinch of masala powder.

Press them into small chikkies. Shallow fry in oil.

There you go! Potato and cheese chikkies on bay leaves!

PF-Prep.JPG

PF-P-C.jpg

anika987, parineetha, mani75 and 7 others like this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Potatoes potatoes i want to write a lot. But that is for tomorrow after we finish witnessing every plate with the time zone.

The contribution from me.well 3 of them... a full packed simple anytime filling snack. Low cal or high cal depends on what you do with it.
    @satchitananda i had you in mind when i was making this..
    A potato rosti with a sprinkle of spices and herbs and a some onions as the young man likeS it crunchy.. he ate half as it is and then creativity stuck. He sliced a bun..added olives, pickles and the rosti piece and had his fill. IMG_2727.JPG
    Grated raw potato a small one. IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG
    Made on tava with just a swipe

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

A potato salad. There is something wholesome about a potato salad that can become a filling meals by itself.

IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2708.JPG

Tossed with fresh dill and olives in greek yoghurt and black salt..

anika987, parineetha, mani75 and 7 others like this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I made this yesterday.. but because of wifi issues i thought i will post it today..

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Hariyali aloo koftas...
    There is at the max 1tblsp of oil on the whole. Pan fried potato koftas in a mint and coriander based gravy..

IMG_2683.JPG