Sridevi...the Legend Is No More!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

True the innocence of some of these fans is really heartwarming. I think the reporters also had to forgo sleep and hunger to cover this.
    Saw a video of Anupam Kher asking the reporters if they had eaten and he could provide them with tea since he lived close by. Thought that was a nice gesture.
    Don’t know about TV9 but I saw a reporter inside a bath tub and other morphed images of Boney Kapoor by the bath tub :facepalm:.

2. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Hi Rihana,

Mumbai police gave protection for this event and anil kapoor thanked and tweeted abt that.so its tax payer's money.In unexpected event like funeral, All policeman's personal & vacation leaves will be cancelled and they should report immediately to work and should support the additional force required apart from the usual work.Even though they are feeling tired or simple fever, they have to stand there for whole day no matter what. They may not get proper food or good water too.And celebrities will not pay money to the government for all these support and protection.

I am not only mentioning this event. Indian govt spends lot of money on giving 24/7 security for almost 40 bollywood celebrities. Govt charge very less fee compared to the private security agent. So they all enjoying people tax money only. who can ask that? So naturally it irks many people including me when they come in white crisp cloth like VIP's in private entrance. after all they did their jobs and got very well paid for that. why all these security, private entrance and VIP treatment. if they need, they should spend from their pocket.

And your last sentence about construction worker made me feel that you are not considerate about them.

3. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

It is right to sympathize with the men in uniform. But I doubt celebrities get any of this absolutely free. Infact they will be fleeced even more given their own high stakes when it relates to security matters. Think about it - are even so called free services such as treatment at govt hospitals really free ? Patients are required to grease the palms of a few folks such as ward boys, secretaries who give out appointments, even doctors at times - i know this from reliable sources. Similarly when celebrities demand favors from the police, it comes with the understanding that they will "take care" of folks responsible for making it happen. Expecting people to be happy with the pleasure of serving the celebrity doesnt happen. After all India runs on paisa. If the requester (celebrity) act all moralistic or stingy, the police will diplomatically decline requests for security. Thumb rule is that nobody gets something for nothing. Especially in India. The constable on the beat may get a small fraction but most will get something cos everybody knows who got how much for all these fancy arrangements.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. sweetsmiley

@madras2018

You are talking about bribe - that everyone in india needs to pay. no exception like celebrities or common people :biggrin:
    :BangHead:

5. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana,

In India most essential services are underpaid. Police and defence personnel have no mandatory 8-hour duty. We know a few police personnel from across various ranks and all of them have a really gruelling workload, they are not paid well and their living conditions are also bad. In comparison, celebrities are a public liability and as such, the government must provide them security under various conditions. Only when extra services are provided or requested, some nominal payments are made by the celebrities according to my sources.

Irrespective of whether the police personnel are doing their duty, taking bribes etc, their services must be appreciated and it cannot be brushed aside as their "Duty", their (police, firemen, defence) kind of duties need special mention and recognition. Sparing a thought for them is in fact admirable. I do think it is a nice gesture on our part to consider them a Hero.

6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Sweetsmiley, we met in that Great Ideas thread where you liked my 'English' and 'Knowledge'. I am going to squander some of that here in expatiating finer details in this case.

Sridevi was honoured with a state burial, which means the government had to partly foot the funeral arrangements. No? The security logistics predominated in Sridevi's case because of her renown and fan base. If it had been a family and personal burial, then we could impugn the requisitioned security from taxpayer's vault. But, given ...it is a state burial, it isn't unreasonable for the government to sponsor or even abet the security arrangements. Also, we don't know, I mean, I don't know how the security arrangement was apportioned: private security the family paid and the state-aided security. Think. We see the uniform flashed in media and assume that it was gratuitous and state-sponsored. May not be the case. There might be guards in plain clothes contracted from the purse of the family to complement the serviced police.

Re: working conditions of the police force, Rihana used the phrase "appeal to emotion" in her post. That was a cue to correlate her opinion with known fallacy. It is natural to feel emotional or sentimental or awakened of the marginal yet crucial agency (like: police force) to supervise a large scale event. But we should not confuse that with their being short-changed in life. We don't know whether disciplinary action would have been taken had anyone called sick that day. We also don't know how many in that police legion would have prided to be recruited for Sridevi's funeral.

Fans arrived from far-flung states to pay their respects to her. Think, may be the police weren't too chipper having to stand in heat marshalling the mob but they might also not have begrudged it. This is where "appeal to emotion" fallacy comes into picture, in that, bright sentimentalism is called forth which is not to falsify but to yield to emotional reflex. I do that all the time. I say ...but those animals are dying ...those plants are gassed in a sympathetic and marginal context which appeals more to our emotions and senses than to reason and veracity.

Her allegory was NOT between the police and construction workers. Read the last paragraph again. Her allegory was between emotional appeal in this case and similar instances in social media like whatsapp. She used that as an example to drive the "appeal to emotion" prevalence but not juxtapose the labour of police and masonry.

7. sweetsmiley

@Iravati

Honestly i need to google some words mentioned in your reply and as usual amazed with ur language skills :)

Coming to the point, Yes, sridevi's is state funeral and govt partly sponsored that and used tax payer's money. so no other choice we need to agree that. Even we like it or not nothing is above govt or law, so we have to accept all that.
    However, what about the 24/7 protection for more than 40+ celebrities.. why do we need that?

And your quote "We also don't know how many in that police legion would have prided to be recruited for Sridevi's funeral" :.. i feel this is also "appeal to emotion" only :)

And whatever i have mentioned about vacation leave or normal sickleave is verified inputs from police department, one of my uncle was part of police department and i know few details about all these. He himself cancelled few family gettogether and missed kids important days due to all these sudden change or call from higher management.

And geetakashyap has already mentioned my thoughts in a beautiful way.." Irrespective of whether the police personnel are doing their duty, taking bribes etc, their services must be appreciated and it cannot be brushed aside as their "Duty", their (police, firemen, defence) kind of duties need special mention and recognition. Sparing a thought for them is in fact admirable. I do think it is a nice gesture on our part to consider them a Hero"

And this is just my thoughts only and everyone will have diff opinions for sure :)

8. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The above can make for an interesting discussion. Low paying jobs, unions, working conditions, what can be done to improve them.

Another very interesting discussion -- are jobs like police, armed forces, teaching, doctors, nurses more noble than other jobs.

Compliments, apology, pity, admiration, sympathy, respect -- are cheapened when given away easily.

Thank you for getting the gist of my comment and countering only that, and avoiding attacking a straw man.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  9. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Yes - a bribe is a form of payment for services rendered. I know your heart goes out for the police on duty that day; but all i am trying to say is it is very naive to paint such an altruistic picture of the police force - one where all they get is a vada pav for their efforts. You can rest assured that they got more than that. If you want to sympathize - save it for the aam junta, the humble Maharashtra taxpayer who foots the bill for those salaried policemen and also road cleanup after the funeral. Speaking of taxpayer, it is often these celebrities who feature in the list of highest tax payers & also finance the livelihoods of their mini-cottage industry sized support staff. So - its all good in the end.

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

The amount of money that sridevi spent on one Manish Malhotra Choli for one outing is more than what a constable will ever see in his life. That’s life and it’s unfair. True ! But if one can give respect and adulation to sridevi for doing her job what’s wrong if one bestows the same admiration and respect to a policeman doing his job. And for actors that make Crores for flashing one smile why not cough up some money for their own security and adulation. There is a lot of economic inequality in India as it is why make it worse .