1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Sprained Ankle

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by ShabnamF, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I sprained my ankle last week and have been on bed rest and meds since then as per the doctor's advice.

I have started putting partial weight on my foot since yesterday evening. I don't feel any pain when I am putting weight on the foot and walking but I have a weird sensation afterwards. The injured areas feel cold, a similar feeling like cold compression. Is this normal?

PS: I just realized that the whole leg under the knee is cold.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

From my personal experience, I find the traditional medicine approach yields better results if the issue isnt major. Other than pain killers and muscle relaxants and resting the leg - not much a doc can do. Ask doc if physiotherapy can help.

As per TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) this coldness is a result of poor circulation. Massaging the leg and ankle and warm compress, helps. Dont sit for long hours. Avoid cold (air conditioned) environment if you can. Avoid chilled foods. Mild ankle exercises like flex/point, and heel rolls would help ( provided there is no pain).

ShabnamF likes this.
  3. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Thanks @SunPa
    Poor circulation may be because I am keeping my foot elevated most of the time. The coldness is only after I walk on the injured foot. Otherwise it is normal.
    I am seeing the doctor today for a review, I will ask him about physiotherapy and exercises.

4. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Not normal. Normal was what you had before you sprained your ankle.
    It is obvious that the leg with the unsprained ankle is different, and not as cold as the one with the sprained ankle.
    Pinched nerves can affect blood flow (shrink veins) and that lack of circulation is making the part colder than other parts. You need an orthopedic doctor look at you and find out what happened. Soon. Before your leg gets colder and colder and end up paralysed.

5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Keeping the leg elevated improves circulation and is easier on the heart too. Actually sitting with legs down is bad for lower limb circulation.

If it happens only after you walk, then that is unusual.
    Best check with doc.

6. ShabnamF

ShabnamF Gold IL'ite

Hi Ranjan, thanks for offering to help.

I twisted my outer ankle on the left foot, I think I rolled it inwards while I walking on an uneven ground wearing heels. I had a severe ankle sprain on my left foot 4-5 years ago too and the pain was very severe, I blacked out for a few moments and had to lie on the ground. But this time the pain was may be a 5 on a scale of 10 when I twisted the foot.
    I was almost fell but I regained my balance somehow. I removed my footwear and crossed the road barefeet to reach office.

I sprayed volini immediately and wrapped a crepe bandage and was able to walk a bit but 3 hours after the twist the foot started hurting a lot and I was not able to put any weight on the foot. I went to Hospital got an x-ray, no fracture. Doctor advised 1 week bed rest, ice packs, ACB plus 2 times and Pregabalin once a day. I was given a pain killer in the ER and after that the pain n swelling has been mild.

I revisited the doc today, As the pain is reduced doc advised to continue same meds and asked to walk very little with as little weight I can put on the injured foot.

I have my own doubts about the doctor as he did not even look at my feet, not even the first time. I was sent to him from the ER, so first time I understood that he must have been briefed by the ER doctor but this time also he did not look at my foot.

Thank you.