1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spirituality - only a science ??!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sadhu72, Sep 5, 2011.

1. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Dear friends ,

Time brings many oceanic and upside-down changes in our life almost in all fields,
    be it a cultural change , social set-up change , technical change or our emotional , mindset change.

Is this the right time to change our attitude towards GOD ??
    do we all need a fresh , new perspective towards spirituality??
    shall we all make the SCIENCE as main deity and worship ??

'YES' is my answer to all these questions . i am not talking about the ones who have already transformed their minds in the middle or by birthnature. This is for the people who still believe that there exists GOD , like us in physical form and want to follow orthodox rituals strictly like japa , thapa , pooja , punaskara , thithi , tharpanam , vrata .

i know , all the rituals and sastra sampradayas are based strongly on SCIENCE only. iam not against god but against some unwanted , unsuitable and impractical methods that we are forced to do blindly without understanding their meanings. my mind doesn''t get convinced easily by all these cumbersome procedures. even while studying in schools , we could not move further without knowing the minimum meaning of the theories & concepts. this rule is applicable here also . puriyadadu manasil padiyadu. why cant some be changed according to the time and tide without disturbing the basic idea of it. we should be freed from the chains & cages.

like a common individual , i also grew in the same soceity where they say , thappu senja saami kanna kuthum and we go to hell if we commit paapa ennai kopara awaits for us . krishna steals butter , Rama is a great hero .. i really believed all these things in my childhood but as the time passes slowly i started beleiving in ARUVAM or jothi vazhipaadu . many mahans like vallalar told about gods positive and life force energy. when we start accepting god is nothing but only a bright cosmic energy light or planets then why should we follow many annoying methods in the name of religion or god ?? ofcourse , its all left to us , but still people look those as sinners only.

let me come to the point ... recently i happened to see the death ceremony rituals twice. OMG , is that this much tough ??? preists dominated like anything . dont they have narak for all their paaps ?? what if we do the pindam and thila tharpanam on our own whole heartedly remembering the departed soul & their likes & dislikes in everyway and not commercially like them. wont the soul rest in peace ?? people never care for them when they are alive but when they die they want to do all . strange !!! just i want to simplify the procedure just for 2days. and instead of that karyam we can donate that money to annadhana , oldagehomes in their name etc.& whatever food we make we can dedicate that to them & finally can be given to the crows. now itself i instructed my son.

all the religions insist DHARMA or VIRTUE only. its only we make mess of all the things and divert the meaning. not only this ceremony , all like marriages , puberty functions carry many mysterical methods. why this ammi & arunthathi & kashi yatra ?? my rolemodel is my mother or any real model , why sum unknown arunthathi , mandodari ?? many such things are there in each & every walk of our life.

i agree, thoppukaranam is a brain yoga ,
    vilvam , arugampul , thulsi are there to cure our diseases,
    gayathri mantras have positive vibrations in our brains,
    homams , lighting vilakku purifies the atmosphere [ozone layer protection ] & brings in CHI ,
    prayers and meditations improves concentration & have good effect on our DNA structure.
    temples gives us cosmic energy.
    in holy ganges , no organism , bacteria grows,

i can say finally all for our wellness & goodhealth but only by insisting virtue strongly. bayam , thappu seidal mattume varanam. but bakthi we can show all the time by any form like social service , being honest to ourselves etc. i understand & see god in science , satellites , nano -tech , kind-hearted ppl , planets & its positive radiation , life saving machines , and hereafter will follow my own simplified rituals with the undisturbed essence of our religion , a balance between believer & non believer incorporating all important scientific elements ... may be more in a DIY style with virtue .
    no fear dears ....so science thaan saami enakku. websites thaan vedam enakku. in this kaliyuga , knowledge only kadavul.

thanks !

luckysangeetha, navs23, Siat and 6 others like this.

2. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Excellent One!!!!!!! I told my grown up sons the same thing about my death rituals. No memorial service, no rituals, but donate the money to old age home and orphanage. As you said some of the rituals have no meanings or we have no ideas about it. When I tell people that I don't make sweets and snacks for festivals, they get confused with me. They feel that I am not a proper Hindu. I don't make it because no one eats sweets and fried snacks except me. I get sick after that. Now new fashion is to say that you are so spiritual. What is "spiritual"? No answer for that.

First be nice to your family members. No fighting between MIL and DIl. Misunderstanding is ok, but not to call each other name and give them physical and mental tortures. Then spread your good qualities through doing services if you can.

I admire you opinions, Sahu72.
    CL

6 people like this.
  3. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Hi CL ,

loved your reply very much. thanks !

exactly .....regarding ,

preparing prasadams ...... keep no worries , when there are no takers then for the sake of saying samarpayami alone [its fake , see , here the very true purpose of sharing & donating is not at all seen nowadays ] why shoud we prepare ??. better to offer fruits & coconut than those oily & sweet stuff instead . i started following this practice in recent years [ no nombu kayiru this that ]. for my son sake i prepare a lil but will give away money to the poor . adding VENGAYAM , POONDU will keep us healthy than those calorie shooters.

yes , we should respect ourselves first & value humanbeings & relationships . true.
    shedding off all those unwanted things wud be wise .

4. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Sadhu,
    I completely agree with you.
    Sometimes I remember that old story....
    A guru had a pet cat -he did not want the cat to come in and disturd when the mantras chanting/rituals etc are performed...so he always asked his sishyas to put the cat in a basket and cover it with a ventilated lid before starting any rite.
    As time passed...the sishyas became gurus in their own rights -one young guru made sure that before starting any ritual...a cat must be got there and put in a basket ....only then the ritual began!!!!!!
    So well enlightened was he!
    This is the way most of us follow old traditions after losing its essence!

In our shraddhas (death ceremonies) we see that many of so called English Veggies are avoided and even green chillies are not used...If you analyse,these rules were laid atleast 3-5 centuries back -that time only our native veggies were available...

After going thro some death rites,I felt what was going on in the name of tradition and rituals was daylight robbery and atrocious...(nothing but hard core business where sentiments were exploited ....)

Regarding this Arundathi matter-I am reminded of a bhagyaraj movie where someone asks Who is a PATHNI..
    Anasuya,Sita,Mandodari...goes the list...
    and Bhagyaraj asks "you call these mythical characters Pathni why dont even one of you say your mother/wife/sister is one?"I wanted to applaud right away!!!

I always believe in using logic and my analytical skills before following anything-so as far as I am concerned,Love,honesty and kindness takes you closer to God than any ritual or mumbojumbo which we cannot understand!

4 people like this.
  5. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

yes shaka ,

its mere an exploitation of sentiments only .. in one way we can also call it as indirect blackmailing.
    those rules were framed many many centuries ago and are completely unsuitable for this modern age. [ dharma sastra , manu needhi etc ]
    & moreover during these events , aged ladies ' THOLLAI ' is too much. each one will have different set of their own rules & opinions begin to clash.

in big homas during navratri times & all for ' poornahuthi ' they drop a complete silksaree [ sponsored by sum famous textile shops either to boost their sales or to show their BAYABAKTHI & gratitudeness ]coated with ghee which is a highly unacceptable thing for me. rest of the things like fruits , herbal samithus , ghee & all ok. but oh , this practice ... i cant digest. who knows ? , this may even pollute the atmosphere & the benefits which are obtained thru herbs also may get erased.

many things are [ why almost all ] done only by BHAVANAI , NYASA only , like bhadyam , achanam , assuming a flower as swarnapushpa & this that ... then why cant we sit at home & do the smaran , prayers ??? it will also defntly reach god . its all only our belief & convenience .

we hear many stories regarding this recent kerala temple issue and its highly disappointing one that corruption is there in almost all . as you said , its a BUSINESS only ... home rituals are a small scale business & temples are large scale ...

btw , cute cat story & bhagyaraj quote reminder .
    happy to know that you are not a ritualistic but a real god lover.

thanks for your crisp reply.

6. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sadhana,

Am glad there are more people thinking in this direction. I agree with you 100%. Even the claims that everything is based on "science" I feel is sometimes carried to a point of absurdity. Make a straight face and announce "All this has a scientific basis - only we don't know how to explain". What scientific basis? How do people claim that if they are not aware what that scientific basis is or explain it? Where is the rational proof for the "scientific basis". OK, there were no scientific journals when these rituals were laid down. But what prevents these people from proving it and publishing the results for everyone to see today?

Let go even the "scientific basis". Some things are for us to understand and perceive - we know there is a God, but we are unable to provide "proof" for it beyond the perfection of creation that we see around us. We are incapable of creating even a fraction of it. So there must be some power (God/Nature/Cosmic Energy/Power) beyond us.

Beyond all this, I see no rationale to any rituals. Those who do it should do it because they like to. It gives them some comfort. Not force or threaten others who do not feel the same way to do them.

But I am tired of questioning and arguing. There is no end to it. And sadly enough I find that the trend to follow these things blindly without questioning and then announcing very virutously that they are very religious/spiritual/traditional ..... Oh well! Each one to himself/herself.

You have yourself given the answers in this one sentence. Live and let live. Do what you believe in and let others do what they believe in and as for others considering you to be a sinner, what does it matter? Does it make you a sinner? Do they care whether you consider them to be wasters (pouring milk, ghee, oil, butter etc. into a fire when there are so many starving) and then considering it virtuous to donate remaining food after a shraddham to a cow but not to certain groups of human beings? So why are you concerned what they think of you? Just get on with your life and I can tell you one thing, if people stop being scared of "what others think" and live according to their own conscience, social change will happen automatically. Don't expect everyone to sit down and pass new rules concerning religious and social practices and a change to come in. IT HAS TO START WITH YOU.

6 people like this.
  7. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

Dear satchi ,

you have expressed bolder & clear views . thanks for your valuable post & likes.

iam in transition period now , but it does not mean that i will turn in to an athiest in future. no way.

till my end , i will agree to this , there is a SUPREME power beyond us like you. but cant agree we can reach or please it by rituals alone.

many foreigners and others have done researches on our vedas , our holy ganga & many other things.
    read in newspapers also , that during the BHOPAL tragedy those who performed AGNIHOTRA got survived.
    penial gland is responsible for ones spiritual thoughts & thru sincere prayers our hypothalamus gets stimulated to secret good harmones to win over the negative genetical factors. above are the some mentioned scientific basis which i came to know thru books . see , KARANAM ILLAMAL KARIYAM ILLAI . so my mind puts various questions like , are we loosing sum good things or will stopping this lead to any disharmony ?? first i have to make myself convinced then only i can boldly proceed further.

i was doing many things blindly without questioning or thinking bcoz of the reason that ELDERS SAY & VEETU VAZHAKAM. wearing POONUL without gayathri for name sake & only on AAVANI AVITTAM DAY is a waste thing. so i asked my DH to stop wearing it. second thing , wearing thali in KAYIRU form , but i preferred to wear it in chain form for various reasons. thirdly , i cut down sum neivedyam part & nombu kayiru , simply will offer sum fruits & coconut & do archana in temple. for all these things , i had to face many many criticisms from my own family , that iam not a perfect housewife & a lazybug & i have changed a lot negatively. really iam struggling to strike a good balance between god and traditions.i have taken an oath to do my DS wedding in a very simple way with his consent. i have already started it. hope time & positive force will stand beside me to fulfill all my good dreams.

all ilites replies here ensure that iam on RIGHT PATH ONLY and not doing any sin in the name of modernity.

thankyou !

6 people like this.
  8. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

I like the sentence....live and let live....not only in the matter of death rituals, in many other things in life. No need of criticising and passing judgements. One can think, decide what to do. Some young people do rituals even if they don't believe in them...because the departed soul believes in them. My fahter believed in the ritualistic things after death, he did to his parents....though my brother does not believe in those rituals he did because my father believed and in respect towards him he did. Gave him a kind of satisfaction.

1 person likes this.
  9. sadhu72

sadhu72 Gold IL'ite

shyamala ,

thats ok . its our duty to fulfill their last wishes as far as ashes & tharpanam are concerned irrespective of our feelings. but to what extent ?? and who cares for OUR feelings ??

see , but there are other things also , a small ex .. disposing the death bed , choosing the right no of LEAF , often have to take headbath with sinus probs etc , etc ...the problem is , once we get into & follow this practice means , we are finished , we have to obey , cant stayaway.and many ppl dont touch the food , even liquids in that house during the ceremony. what is the meaning of this ???

food is not hygenic ?? no answers na ??

10. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Spirituality is about enabling one to discover the essence of his/her being

Spirituality is more about awareness and undertsanding of our experiences and looking beyond what we physically see.

In fact religion / faith may be an obstacle for it. Religion/Faith has become to be seen more of "not understood becoming into not working"

You can be religious and not be spiritual. You can, also, be spiritual and not be of a religion :)

Spirituality for me had been more of me searching for myself outside and then realising that I need to see within myself.

At the core, for me, it comes down to understanding of my beliefs. It also means that, just because I strongly believe in something, it does not mean that I can force my views on someone or dis-regard/dis-respect others belief.

5 people like this.