Spirituality - agarbatti

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by Vidya24, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I recently read abt agarbattis and thought would share the info around.

For followers of Auroville Mother- try to get No 11 agarbattis made by Pondicherry Cottage Industries. This fragrance was personally approved by The Mother Herself and the makers have kept the formula unchanged over the years. Apparently, the Mother rejected 10 fragrances before approving this one- hence it is called No 11.

Also, ITC makes Mangaldeep agarbattis which are made using local labour usually cottage labour in every state. Using that will promote local employment. in Pondi, Pondi cottage industry makes them.

May your lives and homes be frgrant always!

Vidya

2. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

pls advise..

Hi friends,

This is not exactly spiritual related query. But, it is regarding the pooja vessels & other household vessels like silver, brass & stainless steel.

We use many methods to make them shine by rubbing viboothi, paste etc. I recently noticed the polish in American stores for all the above vessels. Anyone, have any experience, pls do share me here..

I am not keen in stainless steel, but for brass & vessels as use them for pooja regularly, would like to buy the polish. How worth it is or is it harmless one on the vessel etc. doubts!!

Hoping to get a quick reply from people..

Rgds.

3. Kute Kiddo

Kute Kiddo New IL'ite

Done Vidya.

Hi Friends,
    Does anyone know when should you NOT chant 'Chandrashekara Ashtakam' , [ it is the one sung by Markandeya ] -- morning or evening ; my friends insist only in evening time you should recite, but I'm still confused ?? I remember seeing my Granny chant in mornings, after Adithya Hridayam ?
    Kindly respond,
    K K .

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

hello

Hi KK,

Is Chandra shekara ashtakam also by Markandeyar?

I know one Shiva slokam by Markandeyar is Mrityunjaya stotram starting,'OM, Rudram, Pashupathim Sthanum------Kim No Mrityu Karishyati'.

Generally, it is good to chant Vishnu related slokams in the morning and Shivan related stotrams in the evening. I read this in Shakti Vikatan long back.

Incidentally, I started chanting Chandrashekara Ashtakam from this Pradosham- hence yr question was more interesting.

rgds

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  5. Kute Kiddo

Kute Kiddo New IL'ite

Hello Vidya,
    Yes, chandrashekara ashtakam is also composed by Markandeya only, after Lord Shiva saves him from Lord Yama. Even I knew it only a few months ago while googling for the lyrics ;
    it is mentioned in this link: http://www.yogamalika.org/fate_and_prayer1.htm

The stothram starts with,
    Chandrashekara, chandrashekara, chandrashekara paahimaam,
    Chandrashekara, chandrashekara, chandrashekara rakshamaam.

Even the mrityunjay stothram you've mentioned, has a few more lines at the beginning : http://www.shaivam.org/ssmrityujnjaya.htm
    This shaivam.org is a very comprehensive & good site, can view it when you have time,

Regards,
    Kute Kiddo.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hindu spiritual site for children

Ladies,

Pls check this site www.balagokulam.org

for spiritual and religious information, slokams, quiz and trivia for children.

regards

Vidya

7. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Om Gam Ganapathaye Namaha

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=462 border=0><TD vAlign=top width=443>[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is heartening to see this new sub-forum. Here is a Siddhi Vinayak chant to ensure that this sub forum has a good start and enriches our lives and souls.[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OM GAM GANAPATAYAE NAMAHA[/font]
    This is a mantra from Ganapathi Upanishad. If you chant it before starting a new course in education, a new job/career, a new journey, any new business contract or any new venture- all impediments are automatically removed and success is attained.

8. sri_july27

sri_july27 New IL'ite

hi all ,

have u all visited the site www.raaga.com ? The devotional section is too good. It contains many devotional songs in tamil , telugu and hindi. It is a boon to those living in foreign countries. I am enjoying the site as iam in china now....its simply soo soul-elevating to listen to those devotional songs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2006
  9. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

here is myline to u all.....

the soundarya lahari is magnificient and good for people who involve in reading abt the grt mother and her beauty is described in 100 ragas but for the few of us who do not make it to many this one parah fills for all obstacles clearing and soothing....if said 108 times when time permits......
    shiva shakthya yuktho yadhi bhavadi shakthaha
    prabhavidum nacheye devom devo nakalukuchalaha,
    spandithumabhihi,adasthvaam araadyam hari hara
    virinchada pirabhi..prananthum sthothumva kadamakruda
    punyaha prabhavathi...people who know carnatic can sing this sloka in anandha bhairavi...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

some advice,please

Dear Mrs Chithra,

I am not sure if this is the place to pit this question. But here goes: I have many guests these days and they leave their children with me when they go sight seeing with my lucky husband. Lucky husband becos, the minute they leave these lil ones start wailing and nothing works. Chocolate, toys, good words, harsh words- nothing. On sunday, I looked after my nephew who speaks only Telugu and Japanese- both Greek to me. He cried and lost his voice- all for no reason. needless to say, I was also crying in the end.

What can we do to calm a wailing child, not amenable to anything? Not a slokam, but surely you have some Reiki suggestion for this? I am sure many young moms will find your advise useful since u r a much baked mom and grand mom.

warm regards
    Vidya