1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Spiritual am I?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by EverHappy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

Dharma or Righteousness..

Isn’t this something we’ve all hear of at some point or the other? Do we really know what it is? Or do we care to? Is giving charity, helping the poor dharma? Is taking care of old parents’ dharma? Is speaking truth dharma? Why is the phrase “Sathyam Vadha, Dharmam Chara” (Speak Truth, Pursue Righteousness) so much a part of our values? Well, I’m not trying to answer these questions, but just sharing my views and hope you will share yours..

Dharma as I understand is ‘Duty’. As the saying goes, ‘Work is worship, Duty is God”. What does this mean? – That all of us should be workaholics and those who don’t work are not doing Dharma? No!

In the ‘Gita’ there is an example that says, what is the Dharma of a cobbler? It says, if the cobbler is doing his work with full consciousness and sincerity then he is doing his Dharma.. All he needs is to say/think ‘God, I offer this action to you’ and that itself is devotion.

If we see something wrong going on around us, it is our dharma raise our voice and do the needful.. How do we know what is the needful? It’s simple, listen to your conscious, silence your mind and just follow that inner conscious. For, trust me, that guilt is next to none that you face standing in front of the mirror.

This write up may sound philosophical, but it is as practical as it can get.

If one realises that everything is God’s creation and thus everything has equal rights as man, violence against animals would cease to exist.

If one realises that all are forms of God, then people cease to hurt the others and understand each other better.

You may say, it’s nice to talk about all this, do you practise it? Well, I try my best to, I’m in the process. I agree with practise before you preach but I also think there is nothing wrong in sharing as you try to practise. We see a high rise in number of troubles around us, but if each one tries to strengthen oneself then it becomes contagious.

I believe- If one is spiritual within, no matter what the blows of the world are (s)he remains unearthed. What are your views?

2 people like this.

2. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

Nice post EverHappy and many wisdom in it.

It is very difficult to define Dharma. Dharma is generally defined as ‘righteousness’ or ‘duty’. Dharma is the principle of righteousness. It is also the principle of unity.

Bhishma says in his instructions to Yudhishthira that whatever creates conflict is Adharma, and whatever puts an end to conflict and brings about unity and harmony is Dharma.

So, anything that helps to unite all and develop pure divine love and universal brotherhood/sisterhood, is Dharma.

But you know what, when a mosquitoe is bitting you its very difficult to see Dharma and be quite about it. :)

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

I think doing our duty skillfully, selflessly and lovingly without expecting the results of that action is Dharma. Whatever is the action we are doing whether it is spending time with a toddler or spending time with a spiritual seeker, we need to spend the time with complete focus and put the best possible effort on that action. It should be done with no selfish intend and should be done lovingly. Getting up in the morning and feeling bad about going to work on that day is bad. Attending a wedding thinking that they would reciprocate is bad. Spending quality time on every action with full focus and dedication is the best way to describe Dharma.

The best way to accomplish this feet is to synchronize our thoughts, words and deeds. Smiling at someone while thinking inside of us, "Oh Man! I met this guy first thing in the morning and I am sure my day is going to be ruined" is bad. Similarly thinking inside, "how in the world I am going to get rid of this guy?' and telling him, "I always enjoy meeting you" is bad. Also, promising to do something to someone and not fulfilling that promise is bad.

Learned Saints tell us that the meditation can be done in Karma Yoga. There is no need to sit down, close our eyes and concentrate on one thought. It can be done by focusing our attention on one thing at a time, doing it skillfully to our complete satisfaction, without expecting the results and with total devotion and love for that action. Then we are in 24 hour meditation. The life will be simpler and especially, we will have a healthy mind.
    We have to remember anything that happens to our mind, it will hurt the body and vice versa.

4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

In my view Dharma is doing our duties in every sphere of life....sincerely, without selfish motives and not paying much attention to the result( but we do, isn't it?) to our level best is Dharma. If the result is good we do feel happy and if not let us develop equanimity in accepting success or failure. I agree, we would not be able to it 100%...I am practical, let us try to treat failure in that direction. Let us not brood continuously.

Our consciousness...in simple terms I would like to call it inner voice...guides us in the right direction and advises us. But we do not listen to it sometimes and ask it to shut up. So, let us listen to what inner voice says and perform our duties with concentration and attention to the best of our ability.

There is a lot of conflict in this world due to the bad deeds done by some but the silence of a good person is also equally bad. Keeping silent, not taking any risk in raising our voice or going away from the scene is also equally bad. We may not be able to do many great deeds...but ignoring a person who is hurt on the road or helping an accident victim..we should not look at the other direction and go away from the scene.All these are parts of our Dharma. Dharma is nothing but....try as much as possible...thought, words and deeds should synchronise. Does Dharma look impossible? I don't think so.

There is nothing wrong in material existence, provided we look to our inside existence too. Balance both, give equal attention to both, and then there is nothing wrong with this beautiful world. If we have the inner beauty inside, we will see outer beauty everywhere.

5. EverHappy

EverHappy Platinum IL'ite

First of all,
    Thanks for all your detailed views.

Haha, mosquito is a good personification of many bothering things in life isnt it? :)

Visvamitra,

I completely agree with the unison of thoughts, words and deeds. Although, I think another point to keep in mind is, when in the process of achieving this, we must not hurt anybody. It may time time to silence our mind and get only good thoughts about others, but we must monitor our words. Suppose, we cant get to make our mind think good about someone, that doe snot mean we can speak whatever comes to our mind.
    Another thought that goes with this is, 'you cant oblige always, but speak obligingly'.

Expecting results can be tackled in a way, by saying -" God I offer this to you, you are the one doing this task through me, so you are the doer, and you are the action. So, whatever the result be its you who wills it." This is a constant practice, this is the sadhana that we are bound to be doing. isnt it?

Shyamala,

Oh equanimity! it's tough.. In terms of, when you see your child hurt, or your loved one in deep trouble.. we say God, I know you are with us, give us the strength.. but at the same time our heart bleeds saying, give me this pain and not my loved one.. the very fact we distinguish pain from normalcy is itself against equanimity.. But nevertheless we msut keep trying..

Definitely, I believe Dharma is very much possible.. as possible as our breath..
    Listening to our consciousness, is what can lead us on the right path..
    Once again, thank you all for expressing your views.. It will definitely touch a nerve of every reader..
    Regards,