1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech therapy advised for 2.8 yr old...pl help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ridgemma, Jul 5, 2012.

1. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

hi dear,
    good to see someone in the same boat,thanks for your words...

there is fair amount of improvement, I should say, especially when I started to say her part as well...eg., whenever, I lift her, I say "Thooku", she now understands the context and says "Thooku" with arms open, whenever she wants to be carried...

Does your child understand here and there ? (like we are in anna nagar at our home and we will to got KK Nagar t for Granny's home)...

Also, about tenses ? yesterday we went to park, tomorrow we will buy ice cream...

Dear ILites, any tips here...

2. divya6

divya6 Bronze IL'ite

Hi ,
    Good to hear that she is improving.Previously he was also not understanding that.I never used to tell him where we are going,simply we will take him and he will cry a lot.Its because we didn't take him where he expected to go.Then i understood my mistake.Before going to any place i will tell him,we are going there and we will do this.So like that now he understands.We go out a lot so that he will see lot of people.But the tenses thing i am not sure,whether he understands 'tomorrow' thing.But if i tell him that we will get ice cream tomorrow, i make sure we do that the next day.So that he comes to know about that some way.All the best dear :)am sure things will fall into its place.

1 person likes this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Divya
    Welcome to IL...
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful tips

Dear Ridgeamma
    Thats nice to hear about the improvement

4. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Hi dear,

Good to know your DD is improving. Dont worry about the duration. My SIL's son is 1.5 yrs older to my DS, so he will be 4 this sept & he was not talking till recently. She took him for therapy initially thrice a week for half an hour & then reduced to once a week for 2hrs. He has improved a lot in the past 2-3months & now speaks sentences although a bit too fast as if he just wants to finish what hez saying.

1 person likes this.
  5. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

oh..thanks DG creative, actually I was skeptical of the duration part..good to know this..nice to know that response is good for your SIL's son..

phew:spin...so much minute things we need to take care...wonder if our parent's generation did all this...:confused2:my mom doesn't even remember, when we started talking..

6. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Divya6, right...getting my DD's attention to explain that we are goin to a place itself is difficult...i am trying this also ...like asking her, where does granny live, where does aunt live...anf also tell her the reply...

7. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,

She is too young to understand and use yesterday/tomorrow correctly. What you can do is use a digital camera and take picture of your house in the day time and at night...should be clear and show daylight/trees, etc for day time and show your house lit with lights, the night sky with moon (preferably), etc for night. Again, expand your interactions by using visuals (photos of actual places that you plan to visit).

For eg, if you are visiting your parents' place, show her a picture of their house (use a photo of the actual house at this age) and cue her-"we will go to sleep tonight (show a pic of her sleeping in bed when you first begin this...you can move to drawings of a little girl in her room much later). Then tomorrow (point to picture of your house in daylight) we will go by ... to visit grandma (show picture of your parents' home).

While today, tomorrow yesterday may develop a little later, you should still work on a schedule. Take pictures of her engaging in her daily activities and put a little bit of Velcro backing. Use a piece of felt cloth for her schedule, and arrange the pictures in order. Eg, getting out of bed, brushing teeth, bathing, etc. Then you can talk about the order of activities in a day. "First we brush our teeth. Then (or next) we drink milk..." this sequence of events comes first before the days. When you talk to a speech therapist ask her to give you the sequence of skills...that way you will work progressively rather than picking up scattered skills.

For a child with language delay, oral language has to be supplemented with visuals. A cheap digital camera, printing paper, printer and laminating paper (you can use the visiting card holders instead of this), Velcro are great investments. This will enable you to reuse the pictures in various contexts and keep costs down. a good filing system helps as well:)

You will know when your child is starting to generalize and has no need for these props. Also, when you talk to her or give her scripts, use simple but complete sentences. It is ok if she repeats only one word but as you are her language model you should use complete sentences. Try to get a slightly older child for play dates (more mature and will be a great language model).

Are you a stay at home mom? If you are, set up a play area in your house whereyou can do dramatic play. Your daughter is at that stage where dramatic play is an emerging skill. Use cardboard boxes, old clothes, other unwanted items to create a 'set.' it doesn't have to be fancy just creative. This will be a great enticement for the other child to come and play in your house but will ultimately benefit your child because there is no better learning environment or language than dramatic play. Your child gets to learn the skill from the model and practice, practice, and practice; and will finally use the skill in the real world.

Good luck...it is an investment in time and effort but you will learn how to scaffold and she will make huge leaps.

Here is a great link on using picture schedules. Don't get too worried about the "challenging behavior" in the web address. It explains the method and the progression of object to Text stage and provides examples too.

http://http://www.challengingbehavi...g_tools/toc/folder5/5b_how_make_vis_sched.pdf

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. divya6

divya6 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Vj Bunny.Recently i came across this site.It is such a lovely one.I really feel that i should have become a member before itself,but better late than never.I have not gone through all the topics and forums(there are a lot) discussed. Its really wonderful.I got lot of useful information from here.Also reading the posts i understood that there are many people who are in the same situation like me.I feel much confident nowadays.All thanks to you all :)You ladies have been doing a wonderful job :)

1 person likes this.
  9. divya6

divya6 Bronze IL'ite

Teacher,
    thanks a lot for sharing such a wonderful tip.i will also try this for my kid.Right now he is on summer vacation and his classes will start only from end of August.Please give me some tips on how i should improvise in making my kid talk.My kid will turn 4 this november.He is taking the speech therapy classes from feb '12.There is much improvement in his speech.We speak tamil and malayalam at home.Also english sometimes.Because my kid speaks in english only.And the speech therapy is on english.He understands tamil to an extent.I talk to my kid in tamil(and english) and my husband talks to my son in english.But we (husband and myself) talk with each other in malayalam.Someone recently told me that you should not do that. I never thought that it will create a confusion in my child.I was thinking to ask this to my kids speech therapist,but i need to wait for another month.So please advise.
    1.Do i continue talking in tamil or english.
    2.should both the parents stop talking in malayalam and talk in tamil/english(because he is listening that?)
    He understands english a lot.Tamil mixed with engish words of objects he understands.We are going back to India(bangalore) this year .So again another language (kannada).
    Also my another concern is he is not telling what happened at school or the past,like what he did at school?But he will say what he is doing,the right now job. Am i expecting too much?I need suggestions on how to make him tell that. I am saying his part like what you had for breakfast ,he will not say that and then i will say oh you had idli etc..please advise me...

10. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

dear op, my son was not communicative upto 5 years of age coz we speak diff languages in the house like i speak telugu to him,my dh speaks tamil and the neighours speaks english, so he was totaly confused which lang to speak .......we struggled a lot and i took him for therapy in bangalore but i was not satisfied with the therapy and they advised us to communicate with him in 1 language........
    what worked for me was my dad called my sister's son(he is very talkative) to stay and play with my son,to my shock my son started to talk within a month(thanks to my sister's son).......
    the bottom line is childrens need someone to talk with them always....... as for as me is concerned giving therapy leads to further confusion in them so better leave your kid with someone whom she loves.........and the best medicne for this is talk,talk,talk and talk to your kid as much as possible........
    we know our kids better than any therapist so don't worry............

1 person likes this.