1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech Delay Update.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by viki123, Apr 19, 2018.

1. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommies,

Here is an update on my DS speech delay. Old Post Toddler Speech Delay.

We recently had his evaluation at school district. Meanwhile my son started speaking 3-4 word sentences and using more words compared to previously.

As per evaluation he has problems with area of articulation and area of language. He was recommended for special education program for non-categorical early childhood/autism and speech/language impairment. His autism score was 26.5, 30 being the cut-of.

He will be going to the Spl-Ed pre-k program next school year (2018-2019). Other issue is he has is lack of concentration & doesn’t sit at one place and work.

Meanwhile, I am planning on working with him at home (evening and weekends), he also goes to full day daycare and soccer class once a week.

Could you all please share some schedules or activities on how I can help him at home? Also any other activities that would be helpful.

Rihana likes this.

2. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

@viki123
    Thank you for sharing an update. What does articulation problem mean?

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

When my kiddo had a speech delay,we got the help of a speech therapist.
    Apart from that..I kept talking to her continuously explaining every little detail.For eg:" Mommy is giving a bath, putting soap and mommy is making you wear the red shirt..first putting the sleeve on your right hand"..things like that.That will help in recognizing left right,colors etc etc..

If he likes to run around..let him play in the park and utilize the energy...

4. Vennella

Vennella Gold IL'ite

Since you mentioned area of language, is there an issue with 2 languages?
    We are speaking to our child only in English so it is easy to understand and respond.
    I talk about everything, while driving in the car, pointing out vehicles, landmarks, signs etc
    Even when we are watching cartoons, I keep talking about what the characters are doing, and will ask questions etc.

5. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

It clarity in speech i guess, it speech is not clear & can't pronounce few sounds or syllables.

Since you mentioned area of language, is there an issue with 2 languages? I don't think, we talk mostly to him in English and he goes to daycare since 1 year and is exposed to English more.

Vennella likes this.
  6. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@viki123 the only thing I did to help my kid's speech (he was a bit late talker) was to talk to him A LOT. I did exactly the same thing that anika mentioned. It did help my kid. He started talking well when he was close to his 3rd birthday and now we have to request him to be quiet for some time. lol.
    I talked to him about everything that is around and things he can see and relate to - like cooking, name of fruits/veggies, nature/weather, dressing. Also I used to ask a lot of questions and he returns the favor now. Initially he wouldn't reply or I should say he wouldn't know what to reply. So, I ask the question and reply on behalf of him. I only ask things relevant to him - like what he likes to eat, what he wants to do and then give him choices etc. I spent (still do) close to 2 hours of 1-1 quality time with him every weekday. Weekends I spent even more time. I also played with him a lot.
    About inability to sit in one place and concentrate - I have the same problem. From what I've seen and heard, many little boys have this problem. My kid can sit and concentrate well after his intense physical activity like running or some other activity like soccer.
    I offer him reading every day and he turns it down many times. But when he is interested, I've noticed that he can sit with me and we read for even up to 30 mins. Another activity he is interested in is solving the jigsaw puzzles. Again not all times.
    Good luck to you and your DS!

anika987 and viki123 like this.
  7. Kera

Kera Gold IL'ite

I have 2 nephews only a month apart. One from my brother and one from my Brother in law. My BIL son started talking very young and at 3 can have full conversation. But my brothers kid was very slow, didn't even make noise until 2.5 and at 3 he can say few words but not clear. At 2 he was told to see speech therapist. They have been taking him for 1 hr/week for almost a year and we can see the improvement in him. They also said he needs to spend time with other kids. But since your son is attending daycare, he is getting enough kid activity. I will say try speech therapist

8. viki123

viki123 Silver IL'ite

@Kera

Yes, he will be getting speech therapy twice a week as part of his Pre-K program. He has improved in last 6 months but still not up to the point of conversing. We are hoping the Pre-K program will help him.

9. divyarao3

divyarao3 New IL'ite

Hi @viki123, @anika987 and other ladies,
    My DS is 19 months old not talking a single word, blaberring in the morning when wakes up, not responding to his name, not pointing to the things he want, if he sees water and
    if he is thirsty he will drink otherwise he will not ask for water.When he was 10 months old he started to talk when we taught him like thatha, mama and Akka,
    he spoke Akka word till 13 months and after that he suddenly stopped talking.He started watching rhymes in iPad from 7 or 8 months old and we thought because of iPad is not talking and not concentrating on any words we say,
    we permanently stopped giving iPad at the age of 16 months.
    When we had an evaluation at 18 month old at Harbor Region Center, Torrance CA, they told us there is a risk of autism and
    suggested to go to Early Intervention program (ST, OT and PT)
    and the wait period is 2 months. We had a tour to the center where they give these therapries for the kids from 18 months to 3 yr old and looks good to us,
    but I saw some vidoes that initially they teach with signs for things like want more and name etc...
    I am worried does these therapies really helps to make my DS to speak? Suggestions please... Did anyone take these therapies before 3 years and see improvement?

10. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Never delay early intervention or other help.It is free until three years if I am right.

Also what you can do is talk continuously and explain what you are doing to the child.Spend a lot of time outside in library or parks and keep giving lot of exposure.Try taking an India trip where the child meets lot of relatives.

You also point and show the child a tee,book etc.. stimulate,stimulate..all will be fine.

Keep giving your best and help the child as much as you can.the child is still too young to come to any conclusion.

Mothers are the best therapist for their kids.

sindmani likes this.