1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speech Delay In 2.5 Year Old

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SGBV, May 29, 2017.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My 2.5 year old niece is yet to speak like other kids of her age. She says a few words like Amma, appa, milk etc and points to the thing that she wants instead of asking it by telling the name.
    Sometimes she shouts loud and repeats the words if we fail to understand what she communicates.
    For ex.. if she wants to eat chocolate, she would say chocolate... and if we say we don't have chocolates, she will push us to the fridge and show where chocolate is. Else, she would shout chocolate...dhaa aaa aaa and some other words which is not understandable.
    She is the older kid at their house. She is very healthy otherwise.

Her parents (my bro and sil) think it is normal and she will be allright soon. They are in denial, or chose to be in denial as they love their DD so dearly, and they are not mentally prepared to hear any bad news. They hope it will be all right as she grows.

But I am concerned about this. Although I wish and pray it should be all right sooner, I prefer to have some expert opinion on this. So that we could start any therapies if needed.

Last time when she was taken to a pead for some other illness, I reminded my SIL to check on this. It seems the pead wasn't bothered much, and asked them to cut down her screen time completely.

In fact, she used her Tab way too much before. But now a days, they have cut that down and tab is given only for 15-20 mins during each meal time. So that she eats without fussing.

I have 2 kids, and my sister has 2 kids around the same age group. All these kids spoke really fast, and they were able to say rhymes and narrate little stories on their own way by this age.
    So, this seems a big concern to me.

But I've heard that some kids take it long, and it is from their genetics. So there is nothing to worry.
    She is good otherwise.
    There is no signs of autism, as she plays with other kids, and interacts with others, identify others and all.

But something worries me.

Similar Threads
    1. memeera1234
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. viki123
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. Anisha01
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. Sani12

Sani12 Bronze IL'ite

My 2.8 yr old niece also doesn't speak yet. Her parents are not much bothered as well. They took her took the ped, he checked and said everything is fine physically. He said its quite normal for kids to develop speech in their own sweet time. He said parents should encourage kids to talk by talking to them, singing to them, story telling etc. continuously. Nowadays kids are speaking a bit late as they only have parents around, in previous times the kid was surrounded by the entire family - dada, dadi, chacha, chachi etc , many people to talk - which used to encourage kids. I'm no expert, but its just what I have seen.

SGBV, gknew, sindmani and 1 other person like this.
  3. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Its quite normal. Some kids take time to speak. My daughter started speaking after 3 years. I have seen a kid speaking after 4.5 years. Now it is the most talkative, ha ha

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

Some kids start speaking late. Could be without any reason. My niece in India ( 5 yrs) has problem too. She speaks but not clear. Again her parents are living in denial and do not know. She had got very very sick and was just saved when she was about 2 yrs old. That could be the reason of her speech issue.

If doc says everything is okay, then probably no need to worry. Just talk to her a lot and you can take her to speech therapy classes too.

5. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

It is quite normal. My son spoke around 3.5-4. Now he drives us nuts :roflmao:

as long as the kid is healthy n their paediatrician doesn't raise any concern, don't worry and pass that vibe to the lil one.

6. deepthyanoop

deepthyanoop Gold IL'ite

SGBV,
    From what you wrote about your neice, I feel there is nothing to worry. She is speaking some words, pointing to things she wants and is communicating in her own way. Its just that she is taking some time to speak proper sentences. Sometimes, if not much people are around, some kids will take some time. Its quite normal I feel. Your neice is just fine. Just ensure her meals are properly balanced and she is getting adequate iron and proteins.

PS: I wrote only from your description.If you strongly feel something is wrong, take her to an expert pediac and make sure everything is fine.

sindmani and SGBV like this.
  7. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

SGBV- My son is 20 months old and hasn't said more than few words. We were very worried, we got his hearing and speech evaluation done. Only to know that
    1. Speaking can happen at its sweet time.
    2.If the child is being reactive- like communicating through actions/ sign language or follows your direction or command. It's more than good. At 2.5 your niece should follow 2 step commands- like " Can you go to the other room and pick you Teddy"? If she follows through- there is nothing to worry about.
    3. Kids under 3 can't be diagnosed with autism.
    4. Try to cut down TV time, ask your SIL to have playdates or leave your niece in a daycare. Kids learn so much from being away from parents. Sometimes, it's easier for kids to not talk or learn to talk coz of the comfortability( they do things even if I just do wah- wah) with parents.

Goodluck, there is nothing to worry at this point.

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone. Glad to hear from everyone that there is nothing much to worry.

I am not gonna raise any alarms right now, as I am convinced that my niece is doing just ok right now. It takes her own sweet time to start talking, and I am sure her time will come very soon.

She is doing great otherwise. Although I haven't checked whether she could follow 2 step commands, I am sure that nothing else seemed wrong with her except this speech delay. Will check this 2 step commands when I meet her next time.

She lives with parents, but there are always some people around in her house. SIL's dad, 2 maids, SIL's bro and the kid's parents are permanent resident there. They always play with her. She has a tiny sister (6 months) too. Besides, her granny (my mom) visits there over the weekends, and we do visit them quit often too.
    So, she is not alone.