Special shlokas for specific purposes

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by Chitvish, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bee,
    Being a Gita student, it is a regular for me. Will post it in the course of the day & later index it in my Gita posts in Cultural index.
    Love,
    Chithra.

2. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

See and be careful with the pronunciations of sanscrit, a small mistake will lead you elsewhere.
    Like Kumbakarna in Ramayana asked for Nidra (Sleep) instead of Nithya(for Ever)

3. Chitvish

Dear Vimmala,
    What you say is right. That is why I give
    (3) (4) etc in the brackets.
    Besides, I personally feel, the devotion with which we chant is more important than a simple mistake, inadvertantly made.

God knows us much better than what we claim about knowing him.He is Grace personified & we need not forever be bothered about such minor mistakes, unknowingly committed.
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. sssaustin

sssaustin Senior IL'ite

Thanks Ji,
    Noted down the same

Bowmany thanks once again...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  5. Vimmala

Vimmala Senior IL'ite

My husband Visits Oriental Manuscript library every day, where they kept palm leaves on which Slokas in Nagari script and Sanscrit, Tamil are engraved. (More than 1000 years old) With the pandits there he discusses and had taken many slokas out. He had bunch in his box, transulated in Tamil. He applies his mind on the Science it mentions and said, it tells about herbals that are to be taken. In 1300 A.D., a sloka was written on Akshi roga nirmulana which asks us to take Grapes, Mathulam palam, and dates. so that it give energy. Further my husband says if we take Banana in volume it will affect our eyes.

Further he already written a thesis on Science behind temples. I will get him translated in English and ask his permission to post that here.

6. shanthi krishna

shanthi krishna New IL'ite

Dear ssubhassr,

Again, the same link, go to no.6- shri vaishnava- all in one place- kadhambam, click on that, then in the opening page, roll down to ms subbulakshmi, in that right click on vishnu sahasranamam( part I and part II )and click save target as and you can save the file as winamp media file.

7. Chitvish

Re: Vajra Panchakam

Dear Aarthi,
    This has already been asked, but I do not know. Sorry.
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. sandhyavr

sandhyavr New IL'ite

dear chitra ,
    thank you so much for the dhanvantri slokam which you gave me for my son to get better. With God's grace he is better now and i hope and pray he will be healthy always. while i did many pujas and prayers for my little man, i came across this slokam( which i never came across in your list as you have all the slokas anyone has evr heard of)which is written in my book as mrityunjaya mantram(not traiyambakam) but it goes like this" sambho mahadeva sambho mahadeva sambho mahadeva gangadhara, mrityounjaya pahi mrityunjaya pahi, mrityunjaya pahi mrityunjaya.
    adreeshajadeesha vidravtaghauma, bhadrakruthe pahi mrityunjaya, akaasha keshama radheesha vandya trilokeshwara pahi mrityunjaya. sorry this is only the first three lines but there are alteast 20 lines more. what i want to know is the meaning if it is possible for you as i have been reading it for the past 10 months and knowing sanskrit a little i can understand alittle but not the whole slokam. if you can could you pl. post me the meaning. thanks so much.
    regards
    sandhya

9. Chitvish

Dear Sandhya,
    Sorry that I am not well versed enough in sanskrit to give you the meaning! :-(
    Love,
    Chithra.

10. anjalin

anjalin Senior IL'ite

Execellent site and very informative. Thanks to each and everyone of you who provided various slokas and mantras.