1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking Delay In 3 Year Old Baby Girl

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by itprops, Sep 3, 2016.

1. itprops

itprops New IL'ite

Dear Parents

First time I am writing in this forum.

I am a mother of 3 years old baby girl & my kid is facing a problem of speaking delay.

Mistake is from our part. She did not get to listen much since her birth.

I am a working mother & have long working hours & my daughter was in care of nanny.

Nanny keeps on changing due to various reasons, even though we paid them salary on higher range.

Sometime we had to manage with nanny of other language. Our mother tongue is Hindi & getting Hindi speaking maid in Bangalore is a tough thing.

One major problem I saw that the entire nanny does want to talk to kid. They want them to be busy with toy, TV, mobile.

I have long working hrs, by the time I am free, it’s her bed time.

My husband too have busy schedule.

There is no one in the family who can come & stay with us.

The moment ( I realized that our kid is speaking as much is expected, we started focusing on this from last 4 months.

I take frequent leaves from office & even take pay cut to spend time with my kid.

Now she speaks A to z with at least two or more word per letter. She identifies & name vegetables, fruits, animals, bird, domestic stuff & other imp thing of daily use.

Still she is way behind of sentence formation because of our mistake.

For this we use story telling method. Also we take one verb & try to explain the meaning of it by example & she is picking.

WE enrolled her in a play school & as per her age they put her in nursery. But she face problem in taking instruction so we have requested them to put her in playgroup & once she improves then can be transferred to nursery. Since she started going school she started getting cold cough & frequently misses her school.

What else we can do to improve her language.

If a child get required input & even if does not talk on time then it’s taken as ADHD/autism.

If a child is raised in isolation with almost zero socialization how it can be corrected. We hardly go out not even on weekend. All I can say she was raised in-house due to my husband fear of getting infected with viral disease. She gets to interact with her mummy, papa & her nannies who keep on changing. Because of that even if she identifies her parents does not call us mummy or papa as she does not know there are other relation in the world. Because of that she looks scared in school. Now she has stopped crying after 3 months of inconsistent visit of school.

So damage is done. Now what should we do to improve further.

Regards

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Your child needs to learn how to communicate. So put the academic stuff on hold and focus solely on communication. She doesn't need to answer questions but she needs to learn through communication.

Say take her to a super market and ask whether she would like carrots or aubergine rather than ask her to list veg or identify them on a chart.

Make eye contact, smile a lot and cut screen time completely. Which includes adults not watching TV at all when she's around because it is a massive distraction according to research.

Encourage her to talk. If she says something on her own like banana, add to it. Yes darling. It is a long, yellow banana. Isnt it sweet? You like it don't you? It's very healthy. And so on.

Give her a chance to bring up stuff on her own and cheer her when she does that instead of merely giving the right answers.

Read her loads of stories. Get good quality picture books and describe the pictures, describe the emotions on the faces of people and animals in the book.

Tell her stories with eye contact. Read her poetry at bedtime. The rhythm and rhyme is soothing and it greatly improves the prosaic ability in children.

Do take her out. Kids have to develop their immunity only by exposure to germs. It is important.

Also do take her to her paed and ask for suggestions. There are two kids I know was taken care of by their grandmothers who greatly neglected them for most part like you say your nannies did. The parents took them very reluctantly to a child psychiatrist on the advice of their paediatrician. The advice was so tailored and brilliant. Today one is nearly 20 and the other is 10. Both the girls are doing extremely well. So, don't worry. You can turn it around carefully.

3. itprops

itprops New IL'ite

Thank you so much for your reply. Could you please suggest a good doctor in Bangalore for speech therapy.

4. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

Is she just 3, or closer to 4 ?