Space Debris

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by kkrish, Apr 6, 2019.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

True.
    On one side I drive a car and want ac and be able to do bank transactions via the internet, and on the other hand I dont know how to do all these without burdening Mother Earth more.
    Mother Earth may say goodbye to all of us very soon I think.

Thyagarajan, Afresh and satchitananda like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

I suppose why she is called 'Mother' Earth! She has shown us a lot more patience than we strictly deserve.

Thyagarajan, Afresh and kkrish like this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Wow!
    Thanks for the reply here , very comprehensive , concise and best of all so comprehensible!
    Apologies for the delayed response, weekends do get a bit more to handle ;)

This is quite a number :screamcat:; However, what I am wondering is that space exploration is pretty limited , as compared to vehicular and other stuff on our planet! and yet... the image as you posted above where the space is already so speckled with debris ... just unbelievable ;)!
    and here I was hoping that 'pollution' could just be pushed to outer space ;)!

However, since there is no mention on the subject of "space debris' disappearing on their own claim; May i presume that there are no such definite technologies , completely rationally explained as yet?
    however, may i add that Indian spokesperson have again issues claims of these debris disappearing ( where???) within 45 days after NASA comments on the Indian mission.

Also, have other countries also carried out these disintegration (intentional) missions to claim a space in 'space ' history?
    Thanks so much @kkrish Mam again. This article really helps.
    I haven't read other comments still though, so sorry if i repeated a question or something .

kkrish likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Earth carrying all all the time. Ship is sailing carrying most of the time . Language carrys communication

So they all become Mother.
    Thanks & regards.
    God subservient to Mothers of Earth.

kkrish and satchitananda like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Afresh.

Thank you. No need for an apology. Family is first, and I understand how busy weekends are.
    I had had this discussion a few years ago, when I became aware of the satellite debris and also our own garbage on Earth.
    This is what I gathered from the conversation:
    Pushing anything to outer space needs a tremendous amount of energy. This translates to a huge volume of fuel, which translates to the need of a huge rocket, which translates to billions of dollars for sending just one dead satellite towards the sun.

Satellites still disintegrate and fall down to Earth on their own also. There have been incidences when some huge chunk does not burn up and have fallen on habitable land. Currently research is being done to manufacture satellites with materials that burn up easily and completely before impacting Earth

:) Are you trying to get me into a debate?
    Yes, India claims that. The SSN claims that 44 (i think that is the number)pieces have flown above the ISS orbit.

There is still the countless number of small fragments that could still be flying. As it is the SSN, NASA, and the DOD are dealing with collision avoidance between the existing debris, let us not forget the car.

Also anything can happen in 45 days.

Mostly it is the Kessler effect that is worrisome. If each country starts these acts to establish themselves as space power, I leave it to your imagination on the dangers that we would all face.
    No. Only China had done it in 2007.
    There is an agreement between all countries to not proliferate space junk, and to limit or contain, in order to safeguard life on Earth and in space.

Technology is not yet there to completely remove space junk. Research continues. It could be something your children and grandchildren can contribute to.

Thanks for your questions. I appreciate them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    deepthyanoop, Srama and Afresh like this.
  6. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

:roflmao:; Do I dare ?
    Actually no, I myself don't want to , just wanted a little fact enlightenment ! i know what debating entails these days... we are better off sticking to facts :wink:

Got the answer! :expressionless::mask:;) Thanks

kkrish likes this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi, on Kamala's request, I am posting this on her behalf, as she is unable to log in for some time.

US conducted it in 2008 in low earth orbit and all the debris have burned up since.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Afresh and kkrish like this.
  8. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Thyagarajan and Afresh like this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Afresh
    My apologies for not including the US in the list.
    I asked Sats to put it up when I remembered it at work. I am unable to access this website from my smart phone.

Afresh likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sats. That was a tremendous help.

satchitananda likes this.