1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

South Indian Mamas And Mamis-past And Present

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, May 20, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Balaji.I agree with you partially. But it is undeniable that
    women try their level best to go deep, analyse and understand, while men sit and watch.They know that things will be accomplished as it ought to be.It has become easier to throw the blame on mamis saying that the mami will find fault with whatever he does and it is better to keep quite.There are some mamisof mid 20th century.But they are very few in number.Have you attended any of the kacheris recently?It is 1960 jokes in Kalki and Aanada Vikatan about mamis talking about pattu sarees and jewels. Now no one dares wearing jewels out of fear of theft, Why wear, even to talk about it in public.
    Jayasala 42

joylokhi likes this.
  2. luvsuksam

luvsuksam Senior IL'ite

Hi there!

Take a bow! I'm with you all the way. I wish to add more cast to your mamas of the present- there's a breed ,sorry for the usage- that sports sweat shirts of famous US varsities and bermuda shorts and does the morning rounds along the beach in Besant Nagar, Chennai. They discuss Trump and Obama and won't be caught dead mentioning Modi or Manmohan, take Tylenol and not humble Crocin, break their fast on Kellogs cornflakes...sometimes more americanised than americans themselves...but whose NRI children get their root canal surgery done with a dentist on Vannanthurai road er...7th Avenue or MG road ..and get their eyes checked for specs at Rajan Eyecare -all during the 10 day trip to India ! Such a delectable sort!

Sunshine04 likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

You would be surprised to know lot of mamis in Delhi's Tamil diaspora are still mid 20th century. I have attended concerts here in which i was often stuck next to mamis who either yap about saris and jewels or compare notes on DILs or even worse sing along with the singer on stage.

4. jayasala42

Thank you.This evidently shows the extent of medical care available inUS and all that mamis are fully aware of this fact.One of my friends in canada had some problem.He got appointment only after 5 months.He took leave( even with loss of pay) for just 20 days, came to India got cured of his illness before he could think of visiting the doctor.
    No wonder vannanthurai dentist and Dr.Rajan thrive on NRI patients.
    Jayasala 42

joylokhi and akbanupriya like this.
  5. jayasala42

Thank you Balaji.You are the eye witness.What am I to say?
    Jayasala 42

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

It is a delightful read how things have changes over a period of time. Necessity is the mother of inventions and mamis have changed as their children settle overseas. They have to navigate their trips overseas, take medicines they need, understand how to move from one concourse to another in the airport, speak multiple languages, discuss what all they had seen in their recent overseas trip, etc. They are becoming increasingly capable and hence appear to be dominant. Education and experience makes one become stronger.

When I was a student, I used to be stunned by my Periamma giving instrcutions to the physicians what are the medicines to be prescribed to her husband. The physician visiting home used to handover the stethoscope to my Periamma and ask "Why don't you listen to his heart?"

Shiva-Vishnu Temple, Two gates leading to West Mambalam from T.Nagar, Ranganathan Street, Mambalam Railway Station, Panagal Park, Vegetable vendors near Panagal Park, Nalli Chinnasamy Chetti Silk House, RamaKrishna Mutt, Vani Mahal, Rajakumari Theater, T.Nagar Bus Stop, etc. are fresh in my memories when I was living in T.Nagar and studied up to 4th grade. Paramacharya used to visit West Mambalam every year and without having any knowledge of the spiritual powers of this Guru, the children like me used to hang around him to get Pana Kalkandu, fruits, etc.

Viswa

7. jayasala42

Thank you Viswa.I can't but be reminded of my Amma. She was very extraordinarily brillaint in fields.Though she had school edn upto 3rd standard only, her talents were unimaginable whether in solving puzzles, attending to deliveries, doing all seer bhakshanam for marriages,( we could not afford to engage cooks for the purpose)composing humorous songs and what not.She was the unsung heroine, spent her entire life struggling for the welfare of a joint family.Maha periya had stayed in our village sankara matam for months together and we had listened to his bhashan on many days.At that time JayendraSaraswathi, was just15, learning tarka, nyaya, vyakarana etc from one Balakrishna Sastrigal of our village.He was a great scholar and was my friend's father.
    Thanks Viswa for kindling nostalgia.

Jayasala 42

8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Congrtulations for being nominate Jayakka. Very interesting to read about mamas and mamis. My mother's mother was also expert in cooking, in making kai murukku etc. She used to go alone to Secunderabad from Hyderabad without knowing to speak Telugu orHindi. When I used to go with her in riksha , the rikshawalla used tosay sheis talking so no need for you to talk. She used tobuy vegetables talking intamil.Also for my sister's wedding all the steel vessels except a few she bought from the woman who brought steel vessels at home in exchange of clothes. She was very good in bargaining. I missed learning from her cooking as that time was not interested in cooking

The other day we had gone for comedy show by R. Sekharan and Pulavar Ramalingam who made us forget everything from 6.15 to 8.15 pm There he was saying howin a theatre one mami was asking her husband whether the gas is closed, the balcony grill is closed etc. etc. and finally came to knowthat she was talking to another man and nother husband.

9. jayasala42

Thanks Viji for the humorous response.Amidst many negatives, mamis are great.
    Jayasala 42