1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

sorry, potty training question again ....

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by jignasha27, Feb 21, 2012.

1. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,
    I know there are few treads on potty training. i read all and also posted there but did not get any answer. so sorry about posting it again.
    experienced mommy's plz answer.

1)my son is 19 months old. he understands what is pee-pee and poo-poo. i want to train him. but can not leave him without diaper coz my house is fully carpeted. and once i left him like that and accident happened. it's difficult to clean on carpet :confused2: how did mom's in US trained thier kids.

2) i read many articles. experts says that pull ups or disposable training pants are same like diapers so they dont give wet feeling to kids. so they wont understand when its wet. and this is true. when i left him with out diaper ( not in a intention of trining, just for a while after bath) and when he wanted to do poo poo. he said papa chee chee. and by the time my Dh realized what he was saying accident happend. but if he would have been in daipers am sure he would not have told ur before doing. what u all used pull ups or diapers or cloth underwears or anything else?

3)other thing is he is so skinny so even the smallest size of pull ups will be larger to him. so can i train him with daipers.

4)i want to try directly small seat that goes on regular toilet seat. because again changing from potty seat to toilet seat will takes few more months and cleaning and sanitizing daily will increase our work. do you think this will work?

he dont feel comfortable with out diappers. he comes and aks mr to wear diaper. his night daipers are still full. so cant leave him without daiper. he drinks lot of water when he gets up at midnight.

loooong but this might help other moms too. so plz what ever you know plz discuss.

Thanks in advance.:):)

2. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

With my son the only way he learnt was by making him wear his underwear at home...it is a headache but fortunately I don't have carpet on my floor...give him time...he will learn:)

3. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Hi jignasha,
    I am also new to potty training.mine is first baby.so no clue what to expect and when is time to start.
    I have brought a baby potty seat and making her sit on it but not very often.
    My LO(22 months) cannot say she got to poo poo but i can guess most of the time when she has the urge to go.
    I am also waiting for experiences from big kids moms.
    thanks for opening good thread.same questions run in my mind:) now a days.

4. Sheelaji

Sheelaji Senior IL'ite

I potty trained my son in ONE WEEK!. That's right, only ONE WEEK. This is how. First, I waited until he was mentally developed enough to understand what he was needed to do, i.e., use the toilet instead of a diaper. In his case, that was 24 months, or two years old. I felt trying to train him any sooner would just be an exercise in frustration, so I didn't even try to do it. So when he was old enough to understand and converse in some fashion, I decided to do it one day. You may laugh or not believe this, but the following is what I actually did. I spoke in this little, squeaky voice and said something to the effect of "We want to go swimming". My son said something to the effect of "Who's that?" I said, in the squeaky voice: "We're your poo's. We want to swim. Let us out!" So then I told him he needed to sit on the toilet and let the poo's out so they could go swimming. So he sat on the potty and had a bowel movement. Then I cleaned his bottom and let him flush the toilet, at which point I said, in the squeaky voice: "Wheee, we're swimming" or something like that, as it all went down the drain. All that made going to the toilet fun for him and so for a while thereafter, when I thought he needed to go, I'd say in the little squeaky voice: "We wanna go swimming, we wanna go swimming" so he'd then go sit on the toilet and relieve himself. From beginning to end of the training only took one week. There was no problem and no accidents of any kind. It was one of easiest things I've ever done. I should mention as an aside that he's 24 years old now, and engaged.

8 people like this.
  5. SurekhaKrishna

SurekhaKrishna Bronze IL'ite

Sheelaji,
    wow!!!you are amazing.let me give you high five.
    it's very interesting:)which one do you suggest to use pull ups or cloth underwears?

6. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

I have successfully trained my 2.2 yrs old daughter to get potty trained in just 4 days.I know...you guys might think its not possible.. but it was!
    Earlier I tried when she was just 20 months old.. but it was futile within a day.I tried diaper free day times..nothing worked.So i just left it at that.
    Now last week , since Chennai is getting hotter...i found that she felt very uncomfortable in her diapers and was trying to remove them on her own.So I took it in my stride to potty trained her. First day taught her pee and poo and told her she must sit in potty.She cried...but i sat along with her in the floor and hugged her and gave her a kiss when she did her business.She was constipated for 2 days since she didn't know how to push poop.But i fed her veggies and greens.. so that she couldn't resist but badly wanted to do the poop.So she came running and crying unable to control it.I made her do it in the potty. She understood that doing the business is better than stocking :)

Third day she was conscious about pee and poop..of course there were 2 accidents.But i encouraged her.From day 4 she is potty trained.No diapers and she says diapers are dirty!

7. rnair

rnair Silver IL'ite

good to see so many replies here. let me share my experience too.
    my son is 5 and daughter is 3 . they were both trained at 16 - 19 mos . so the age is right , i believe.
    it isnt easy as such but dont give up once you start. understand the child and find his/her moods and behaviors and react accordingly.
    i got the small potty stool ( cleaning was a hush but kids were comfortable) and didnt use diapers/pull ups during day time. i was stay at home mom then , so fully focused on the potty training ..lol
    and i did give them couple of raisins , prunes etc which made bowel movement smooth.
    every 2 hours or so i made them visit the restroom and even before napping at noon.

and at night, stick with diapers for a while till child really gets the whole point and it will not disturb your sleep either.if all goes well , i takes max 2 weeks.
    dont worry..

at that point in time, a friend told me...take it easy , your child will never go to colg in his diapers ... lol

good luck and enjoy!

8. jignasha27

jignasha27 Bronze IL'ite

Hi everyone,

Surekhakrishna : so lets start together. we will wait for 2-3 more months as sheelaji said. Let them express in thier baby language that they want to do poo or pee. after 2 years i guess they might be able to tell us in some form or other. mean while am just allowing him to flush so that he may not get scared of it later on. i bought a small potty seat which goes over regular seat and a small stool (he also uses this stool while brushing). he knows its for pee-pee but scared of sitting on it. so i will just let him play with it. let them sit for some time with out diaper and play with anything. some where i read that we get plastic underwear in walmart. so my plan is putting this plastic one over cloth one so that carpet wont get dirty. and when ever they feel wet they will tell us. we can explain them that this should be done on your potty seat. lets hope for best. good news is its summer time now.

sheelaji : hahhahha so funny. actually i was about to ask you how old is ur son now. and then read last line. :) :) even i live near washington DC. Herndon, Virginia. this is ur first post right? nice meeting you. and thank you for the tip. will try it.

Aishu22: thanks for replying. my main reason for potty training is - he is getting naughtier day by day. if i leave him on just daiper with out pants for a second. he removes diaper and starts roaming like that. now a days he puts hand inside pant and pulls the diaper out of pant. hes just 20 months old. am worried hes gonna give me tough time in terrible twos. one day he had is break fast and was on just diaper ( was about to give him bath). i got bussy in kitchen. he did poo and removed his diaper immediately on carpet and called me mummy "yuk chi yuk chi". huh.....your tip is nice. sitting with them and palying will work. lets see how it goes.

9. Sheelaji

Sheelaji Senior IL'ite

Actually, I remember in my own case, so many decades ago, that my mother would wake me up in the middle of the night -- which was probably about midnight or so, since I went to bed around 8 pm as a kid) -- to go to the bathroom. Thus I never had any nighttime "accidents". As far as cloth diapers vs. paper diapers, as eco-unfriendly as they are, still I would use paper diapers. I worked long hours while my son was little and had neither the time nor the inclination to deal with cloth diapers. He was a big boy, around 9 lbs. 10 oz. or so when he was born (by ceasarian) , so by the time he was around 2, even the largest pull-ups barely fit.

10. jmsd

jmsd Silver IL'ite

Try watching some potty training videos on you tube.
    They are funny enough to crack you up but yield some useful advice!