1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Some secrets about mehandi….

Discussion in 'Cosmetics & Makeups' started by mathangikkumar, Jan 17, 2014.

1. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Mehandi has a very special significance when it comes to Indian weddings. In Hindu marriages, mehandi is one of the most auspicious ingredient which is used to adorn the bride. A day before the wedding, the women gather the henna leaves, make a paste out of it and carve out beautiful designs on the palms of the bride.

Interestingly, mehandi is not a native art. It originated in the Middle East and was introduced in India by the Mughals in the 12th century. Earlier, mehandi was a royal tradition and means of the rich and nobles to decorate themselves. But gradually, it became popular over time and soon the art of mehandi became an integral part of Indian tradition.

Click on this to some secrets about mehendi….

There is nothing very strictly spiritual or sacred about mehandi. Married as well as unmarried women can apply mehandi. But applying mehandi during a wedding is considered very auspicious. It is a symbol of prosperity and the bride is considered blessed if mehandi is put on her palms before the wedding. Apart from all of these facts, there are also a few
    superstitions related to mehandi. These superstitions related to mehandi are very popular in India.​

Let us have look at these interesting superstitions related to mehandi in this slide show….

Wear It Dark
    There are no hard and fast rules of applying mehandi. However, one of the most popular superstition related to mehandi is that a deep coloured mehandi on the bride's hand is a good sign for the couple. It is

believed that if the mehandi has a dark imprint on the bride's hand,

then her mother-in-law will love her more. To get this dark imprint, the bride sits for hours with mehandi applied on their hands so that the

mehandi comes out dark in colour.

What's in a Name?
    Another popular superstition related to mehandi is the hidden inscription in the design. A bride's wedding mehandi usually has a hidden inscription of the groom's name. The groom is supposed to find out the name within
    the design. If he fails to locate his name, then it is believed that the

wife will be more dominant in the conjugal life. The wedding night is

not allowed to commence until the groom is successfully able to locate
    his name in the bride's mehandi.

The Wedding Bells

Another superstition related to mehandi is quite interesting. It is said that if an unmarried girl receives the scrapings of the mehandi leaves from a
    bride, then she will soon find a suitable match for herself. So, these ​
    were a few superstitions related to mehandi. If you know some more then ​
    feel free to share it with us.​

1 person likes this.

2. Sai3A21

Sai3A21 Platinum IL'ite

I love applying mehndi on my hands. I was not aware of these superstitions about mehndi. As far as I know, mehndi takes out the heat from our body. The more dark it turns when applied on hands, indicates that there is so much heat inside the body.
    nice information mathangikkumar ji :) Thank you..

3. orchidgb

orchidgb Silver IL'ite

my grandma, aunt used to say

sita devi applied mehandi only in hands that is why it can be applied only in hands and not in body even if you apply it wont give the imprint. when i was kid, i used to keep it as bindhi but there was no imprint in my forehead as bindi.