Some festival recipes & Recipe related Queries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. AmericanBiwi

AmericanBiwi New IL'ite

Can you tell me what I need to make for Karva Chauth?

I am going to Mandir tomorrow afternoon for puja and I want to take a nice thali. Can you please tell me what I need to make?

What are the fasting foods I should make as my husband does not wish me to completely fast?

Thanks very much.

Namaste-

Jennie (Janki)

2. Ashna

Ashna Bronze IL'ite

Karwa Chauth Pooja Thaali

The pooja preparations start a day in advance. Married women buy the shringar or the traditional adornments and the other pooja items like the karwa, matthi, heena etc.

Early in the morning they prepare food and have it before sunrise. The morning passes by in other festive activities like decorating hand and feet with henna
    decorating the pooja thali and meeting friends and relatives

A decorated thali is a very important component for performing the Karva Chauth puja. A puja thali, also known as Baya, containing the roli, vermilion, sacred water, dry fruits like almonds, pishta etc., earthen clay pots, diyas and different types of Indian sweets, in their respective katoris, is tastefully decorated. The art of creating attractive thalis for puja may also contain the ritualistic decoration like rangoli and alpana. Puja thali can be decorated with floral designs with the help of flowers, leaves, color and also with multicolored pulses.

On this auspicious day, Ma Gaura or goddess Parvati is worshiped. Married women sit around Gaura ma and pray to her for the well being and long life of their husbands. A small pitcher or Karva with some water is placed in the center. While the story is being narrated, ladies circulate their decorated Baya thalis. After the puja, this thali is given to the eldest member of the family who blesses the woman with all the happiness in life.

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

okkarai the traditional of tirunelveli dist tamilnadu

okkarai...
    chana dhall-500gms
    gur450 gms
    elaichi 4to 5
    dry ginger powder 1tsp
    ghee 150 to 200gms
    10 cashews & [dry grapes [optional]
    now boil the chana dhall in a open handi,and it should boil only to the level of a pinch ..that is the minute u pinch it should give way...and not become quesy...now strain in a colander and leave to dry a little ....now put in mixie a little by little and powder it fine...do not load too much as it will stick together then...add the elaichi and the ginger powder while powdering....now keep the gur in a kadai and boil strain for sand particles and make the syrup until balls form when u put in a small plate of water...once able to roll and a sound comes when u put in the plate..tang padam they say for this..it is ready..add the chanadhall powder and mix well...now it will melt out a little keep stirring do not leave on high flame...it is finished when u pull the ladle usually a thosai thiruppi is good as it can move any way out..as u press over the product waves like formation come add 2 to 3 tsp of ghee and stir..after u add some more ghee..pl do not use all only as u require to keep it from drying while making...and take it out once over, the waves like finish is good....u need a little practise here but once u master it is very nice sweet with very little ghee and tastes heavenly....bring it down immediately..other wise it would powder ..too fine ..there should be lumps a little which will looses once it cools...now in the ghee fry some cashew and [kishmish [optional] and add to the okkarai....have a sweet and happy diwali...regards..sunkan

4. shivani

shivani New IL'ite

kalajam

I want to the recipe for KALAJAM sweet.

5. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Ask Chitvish

Hi Shivani,

There are many dedicated and expert cooks in this forum and I am sure one of them will post a recipe for Kalajam.

You can also put a request in the Ask Chitvish Forum.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8939#post8939

Do try browsing Chitvish recipes, they are yummy.

regards
    Vidya

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Kala Jam

Dear shivaani,

I got this recipe from the web. Check it out!!

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>Ingredients:

Paneer made from 1 litre milk
    Plain khoya 1 1/2 tbsp
    Powdered sugar 1 tbsp
    Maida 2 tsps
    Orange red colour pinch
    Baking powder pinch
    Rose essence 1/2 tsp
    Kismis 15 to 20
    Oil or ghee- To deep fry

For sugar syrup:
    Sugar 3 cups (heaped)
    Water 1 1/2 cups
    Crushed saffron little
    Cardamom powder 1/4 tsp

For Dusting:
    Powdered sugar 2 Tbsp

<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top>

Directions:

· Knead paneer to smooth dough.

· Mix khoya,powdered sugar, maida, baking powder, orange red colour to paneer and knead to a smooth dough.

· Make medium sized balls with a kismis inside.

· Deep fry few jamuns at a lime in moderately hot ghee in reduced flame, till it turns dark brown.

· Prepare sugar syrup to half string consistency.

· Add crushed saffron, cardamom powder and rose essence after removing from fire.

· Soak fried jamuns in the syrup for atleast 10 hours.

· Remove jamuns one by one gently from the syrup, roll on powdered sugar and pack in pastry cases.

· Decorate with paneer, khoya mixture on top using, cake icing bag with star nozzle.

7. shivani

shivani New IL'ite

thanks for recipe

Hi Parthi,

Thanks for ur recipe. i will deffinately try it tomm. I love to know more bangali sweet recipies. I u get it pls post it to me.

Shivani

8. rosy

rosy New IL'ite

Ugadi special

<TABLE height=229 cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width="76%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TD width=584> Obbattu<TD width=132> <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top align=left width=584 height=1>

Ingredients

<TD width=132 height=1> <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top align=left width=584 height=119>For filling :
    2 cups bengal gram dal,
    2 cups grated jaggery, (take 2 1/4 cup if jaggery is less sweet)
    cardamom powder,

For dough:
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (or wheat flour)
    a pinch of salt,
    1/2 cup oil
    water,
    some rice flour for rolling puran polis.
    <TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top align=left width=132 height=119><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255)" vAlign=top align=left width=584 height=40>
    Method

1. Sieve all purpose flour and salt twice. Make a soft and pliable dough with water and some oil. Keep it under a wet cloth for an hour.

2. Boil bengal gram with plenty of water. Drain it while it is still hot. Use colander for this purpose.

3. Now add jaggery to this hot boiled bengal gram and cook over medium heat. Keep stirring constantly so that it will not burn or stick to the vessel. The exact consistency is reached when it leaves sides of the vessel and gets thicker. Remove from the heat now.

5. Allow it to cool and grind it. This helps remove the lumps. Then add cardamom powder and mix. Now filling is ready.

6. Knead the dough with hands. Use oil as well as water for kneading.

7. Make round balls (about 2 inch. dia.) of this dough. Roll one ball a little bit and make a flat disc. Place some filling (about twice the quantity of outer dough) in the center of this flat disc.

8. Seal the ball tightly. Roll again to make thin obbattu of 6 to 7 inch. diameter. Use rice flour for smooth rolling.

9. Heat a flat griddle. On a medium flame, roast one side. Flip it and roast another side. Do not flip the sides over and over. Roast till golden brown.

10. Smear ghee on top and serve hot.

Tip: For filling, you may substitute jaggery with sugar.
    <TD width=132 height=40>
    [​IMG]

9. sumok

sumok New IL'ite

What is paniarkal

Though I have heard of these , i hv never seen them. can someone post a picture of a panirkal, apparkall etc so that I can try finding them , next time I get a chance.

Thanks.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

i tried all over until i made it in photoshop for u...the top is the side view and the bottom is the straight u look into view hope been of help...regards sunkan

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007