Solving For "local Recommendations"?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback!' started by Jey, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

my bad, didn’t realize this person was a purification expert. The recommendations I saw from her were for water purifiers in other threads.

3. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The unanswered threads has been a great way to identify spam in our site. When we look at the unanswered thread box, anything that is obvious as spam, we get rid of them. I do remember getting rid of the user about this RO purifier but looks like he/she has come back and then we have missed it. We have gone ahead and deleted that user. As you see these spam posts, please report them.

Some of the posts we are not sure, so we leave it in there or figure out what to do about them. For example, look at this one.
    Carnatic Vocal Classes Taken In Chennai - Online Also Available

My first instinct is to get rid of this. But then we also have users asking for vocal classes. So, I am wondering what to do. Maybe we experiment with the idea @Shanvy is suggesting. Create a recommendations thread for the various services/localities and redirect any new thread there. Try this as an experiment and see what happens.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Quite a few things can be searched in google but we post here. Maybe because we like to get recommendations from people whom we "know" from their posts? Like Instant pot recipes... the ones here I can know which one will be a quick one, which will have more details... often by who posts it. Like, our Viswa will post ingredients but rarely or never the amount of each. But very good pictures he will post of the dish in the IP. One can see how the dish should look if cooked right.

In other examples, I was looking for Secret Santa gift. Amazon has a category for that.. but I asked the Young and the Restless in their thread for suggestions. For items like vacuum cleaner, cutting boards etc I have asked the old and the rested in various threads. : ) : ) Could have searched for reviews of these in houzz or kitchen websites.

Naari likes this.
  5. Jey

Jey Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What about testing an yelp-style directory feature in our site?