1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Soft Skill - Wriggle Out Of Pandemonium Or Public Chaos

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:
    Dear @vishwamitra sir
    Thanks for your reading my post and heartfelt feed back. I note you endorse views of @kkrish
    2. With the back drop of high probability of public turning into mobs and vandals in streets of India indulge in destruction, i am sure you would agree that one has to take quick decision and make moves in the heat of the moment while confronting such incidents.
    3. Self-preservation becomes automatically uppermost in one's mind and that alone guides further course.

4. Gravity of situation turns different depending on status of affected or persons literate and illiterate involved in the incident.

5. From nation to nation, city to city the public reaction or response differs widely but on Indian roads at the drop of a that, it turns into great circus of clashes and skirmishes.

6. When the Road is so wide and many suitable places available at that moment, I wonder why DW preferred to keep his cycle leaning on the back of a van. Could it be stage managed to extract damages and get rid of rusty contraption.

7. I was only a spectator. There was great risk in taking sides and one feels not to appear as biased.

8. Views of madam sister @jayasala42 in her FB is indeed the scene on roads of India. Cases of Accidents caused by celebrities driving under intoxication seen always goes in favour of celebs.
    9. If. only I had half of the maturity that I seemed to have now, then perhaps I would have thought of handling the incident diffetently in real time. I was a novice in these matters as a young bachelor.
    10. It is said that it is always easier to become wiser after the event .

REGARDS.
    GOD BLESS .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2018
    Viswamitra likes this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Thyagarajan:

Thanks for your detailed response. I agree situations are different in each city and each country but the underlying righteousness should remain the same no matter where we live. As an outsider, I gave the benefit of doubt to DW as he wouldn't waste a day to extract money, as generating money everyday would have been feeding his entire family. Smt. Jayasala is right about extraction and I have been a victim myself in Mumbai. Someone will remove the air in the front tire while someone else will approach to fix the tire and extract money. The fee will be doubled if one has spouse and children in the car. That is a crime group that make a living out of such extraction and most likely a dubbawalla won't do such thing.

After I wrote my response, my wife was reversing the car in the Temple and scratched a Benz car parked in the parking lot. She took the pain to go inside the Temple again to find the owner and give our insurance information to her. The principle is to take care of someone who suffered due to our action.

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Thyagarajan Sir,

As always, your write up is good.

"Bade bade shehron mein aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hain," said ShahRukh Khan in DDLJ.
    The driver did use his street-smartness to tide over his trouble and do his duty. In his keenness to save his own skin the driver did cheat the DW and his loss must have meant several days of hardship to him; it is no laughing matter either. These kinds of incidents happen and we witness such 'street smartness' routinely: iski topi uske sarr! All our film heroes found their stardom enacting such roles!!!!!! Does that mean the public endorses such acts?! Sometimes it is a survival tactic and at other times it is an antisocial act aka dadagiri, in Mumbaiyya language. Hoodwinking, pickpocket, lying, bribing, the various scams and so on, are all extensions of the same street smartness. Perhaps the use of the word, 'Soft skill' in the title was not politically correct.

4. Thyagarajan

:hello:I am glad my Khan rukh u to think of quote of Shahrukh Khan.
    2. I am glad that you felt justification in Khan's STREET alertness smartness.
    3. Thank you for considering my blog is good.
    4. Yes it was question of survival. With background of war, failure on the part of Khan and my late or delayed arrival at the scene of test would have resulted in adverse reactions from the top.
    5. I had already accepted that prefixing title with phrase "soft skill" is/was a blunder (while responding to FB of @kkrish.)
    Regards.
    GOD grants Godspeed in our earnest endeavour.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    GeetaKashyap likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Hi Thyagu,

1. The blog came up when I was responding to another thread with 'chaos' in the title. God has chosen to highlight this thread which I missed earlier due to the chaos of the academic year starting.

2. Khan's actions can be separated into: shift the negotiation to later or more feasible place, deal with the negotiation, gloat over the result. The last one (calling the DW ullu/idiot) was not needed.

3. Convincing an irate mob or group of angry people, or even reasonable people, to postpone action is a soft skill worth developing. Such skill can be used or abused.

4. High principles and adarsh behavior are easier to maintain when one has the dispensable time and money. For those with income like Khan, and in places where due process is a dream, like you asked, what other realistic choice is there?

5. Richer people who stay and take responsibility can afford to write the check for damages even before fault is proven, or they have an insurance company to take care of it and fight for them. Khan has a job to retain, employer who will not be sympathetic to his plight, and no way to prove the DW's fault. Just being late in dropping off officer is enough to get him in trouble. Add "crushed a cycle" to his employment record!

6. Coming back to the soft-skill of wriggle out of public chaos - once in a meeting, one person got into a confrontation with another person. They decided to take it up outside the meeting. Outside meeting discussion proved who was wrong. The wrong doer said sorry. The wronged person said, "The offence was public, the apology should be equally public." But that apology stayed private. This was an example of wriggle out of public chaos and deal with it suitably later. The wrong doer knew very well he was in the wrong but grandly suggested it be taken outside so as to not impact meeting further.

7. Hoping you don't mind bumping up old thread. The ethics of actions and the choices available in theoretical or past events is interesting to ruminate on.

Khan was not totally right, but he had little other choice. There are many aspects in the sequence of events that excuse him. If justice for all and result amicable for all are near to impossible, how much wrong is charity beginning at home?

God also sometimes resides in the details.
    May there be CC cameras everywhere in our lifetimes.

Thyagarajan, Viswamitra and Cheeniya like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

:hello: I enjoyed the analysis and dissection and concluding it with bold in blue quote implying “ sometimes” He shifts His Dwelling from Vaikunda to minor details.

2. Apology in right place at right time to right people pays always rich dividends later. The story about in situ apology is striking a chord. Good one.

3. Yes I agree whatever we do or come across is predestined called also “chance”. I am glad that one more senior known for her aplomb has read this blog in full.

4. @kkrish @GeetaKashyap @Viswamitra in their response felt, situation ought to have been dealt softly toward “ poor” DW. Wet behind the years, i preferred not to side with Khan or the Onlookers supporting young DW - played neutral. Khan was supposed to be master of the situation; being old and in his profession for over several years, at the back of the mind I thought he would handle the situation deftly. That is what he did. He is still green in my memory.

5. Apropos point of view at 7. Above , I am too glad that you not only spent time reading this anecdote but posted your considered views on it that reads brilliant.

6. By numbering paragraphs in FB, You have made it convenient for the reader to read comfortably and to furnish his or her comments.
    7. By bringing in conclusion“ God quote” and “cc camera everywhere”, here you had indicated the omnipresence of omnipotent.

Thanks and Regards.

God - A small stumble for me but a giant leap toward you.

Viswamitra likes this.