Social Media: A Recipe To Sweeten Relationships Or Worsen?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Naari, Sep 29, 2017.

1. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

The worst part about whatsapp is that, anyone who has your contact number can add you to any random group.... Atleast have the courtesy to ask or inform me before adding me to a group....

In the family groups it's usually loads of good morning/ night msgs with images.. Some god fearing msgs, best of all is... "Send this msg to 3 groups and you will see a magic", i mean are you kidding me....

If something is so important, like i call n talk, if unavailable live a voice note or text msg, am sure others can also do the same instead of creating a fuss

sindmani, NeetaR, Amica and 3 others like this.
  2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

What do you call someone who responds to someone when they are upset & then vents it out on ILs making a big issue about it?

Bigger **$holes , IMHO ;)

3. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, leaving a voice msg & then waiting for a reasonable amount of time for other to respond & not assume.

4. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG] @Naari! Come to the dark side. We have better cookies. :p

Naari likes this.
  5. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

I completely stopped using it ..as I got life lesson out of it. People analyse you with photos and words you used not with how you really are ...and people share things you know what this is her status with this pic..they wont think that might be.she was angry or she was sad...I accidentally unfriend someone ....and I got life lesson from it ...it took away manythings from me.

Naari likes this.
  6. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Omg, you are the queen of emojis! I love this one too! A big Hi five to you on that [​IMG] Love it:thumbup: Oh wait, did your treats change in the meanwhile? laddoos out?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  7. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I am going to India in Jan 2018. For a short spell. Even in personal appearances, when time is at a premium, there are occasions when one relative gets some facetime with the visitor, and the others are peeved that they didn't get equal time. The visits end up creating life long peeves about mundane things like dubai cousin gave me a golden-whatever, the one from Vancouver brought me a piece of smoked salmon -- genre. No point in trying to explain that dubai has gold souks, but we have only fish-souks in Canada.
    No matter what happens on social media, it is cheaper for the foreigner, and the hassles are much less.

Naari likes this.
  8. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

A recipe to sweeten ? I feel all this social media who are trying to help us socialize more with our long lost friends have actually made us more distant from everyone including our very own self.

When I say distant from our own self , it means we are so used to whiling our time looking into other people's honeymoon , vacation , family pics that we lose track of time . That time could have been better used by reading a book or doing something for our own self . What good comes out of digging into other people's pics ? You will see posts on this forum as to how people start comparing their husbands or their married life by seeing seemingly happy couples on FB . I am off Fb for 2 years now and I am so glad I did that . One less thing to keep up with .

Now this WhatsApp . All these family groups , friends , extended families , 4th grade, 5th grade friends and people you were so happy without all these years , suddenly everyone is in our life . If a hi, hello doesn't get reciprocated , it gets pretty serious . I feel silence is so much better than misinterpretation. Misinterpreting why I didn't reciprocate their wishes or sometimes totally misinterpreting of what I was saying . I have had enough issues where I said something on WhatsApp and the person on the other end took it in a different way altogether . I don't use emojis that much and just keep it to words so people find it hard to understand my humor or something that I was trying to say . Had it been in person , the same person wouldn't misinterpret because facial expressions also say a lot . And don't even get me started on these good morning and good night messages. Hello? My mornings were so much better before these messages were shoved in my face . And some preachers who continue to post spiritual quotes and how we should live our life , words of wisdom and all that . I wonder if the person posting it really reads themselves because clearly their personalities don't match with what they preach .

I have disabled my "last seen at " notification so I could remain oblivious to everyone . I thought this way people will not know whether I checked their messages or now . As luck would have it , some of my WhatsApp experts showed me how to know whether someone read your message or not . They "caught me " that I read their messages at 9 am but replied only at night . WTH??? Be greatful that I consider you to be deserving enough of my time . I thought people have so much time tracking everything about me .

I wish I could go back to the old days of having phone calls or emails once in a while with so many random people under the sun . I sometimes have this burning desire to quit WhatsApp too but that's the only way I can be in touch with siblings, family and really close friends on a daily basis . Too many phone calls with families is like waiting for a storm to occur so WhatsApp is a good solution in that case .

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

@Sunburst Let me start off by saying that while reading your post I felt like you were talking about how I feel about this issue. You put words to my feelings!!

Me too, My profile is still active, but I am dormant. I occasionally am tempted to comment / like on posts where it really counts, but I refrain from that too. Why? Because if I commented on one friend's post, then the others would feel like I was ignoring theirs.

Also, comparisons are the worst. I have found myself comparing my Dh's lack of PDA against other husbands who post big poems, romantic write-ups on the occasion of their wife's birthday, valentine days etc. But, if I coolly thought about it, I am pretty sure my Dh is a much better, understanding and mature husband. In short, the optics become more important , even feelings seem real only if they can be displayed on FB. How stupid is that? Our parents & grandparents loved each other a lot, yet they never needed any FB or social media to express that!! Like everything superficial, even feelings and love are superficial & a mere show-off in this social media driven world!

sindmani and nandinimithun like this.
  10. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

haha, those wisdom quotes, I hate them the most!!:lol:Some random thoughts being bombarded to you every single day & the posters/ senders take the pleasure / pride in being something philosophical .or higher beings by displaying such mature quotes on their profiles!! I have seen ppl on FB who just maintain profiles to post wisdom quotes everyday, they must feel like quasi preachers/gurus!:lol::smash2:

Sunburst likes this.