1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lotusbud, Aug 31, 2017.

1. lotusbud

lotusbud New IL'ite

Hi friends,
    Can you help me overcome my social anxiety?I am currently pregnant and stay at home lonely all day .I used to work and never socialized much.Now I feel really really lonely and unable to make any friends due to my anxiety.

The place where I stay is has lot of small groups of friends.they enjoy ,hang out together i am the only one who has no friends.Whenever I have conversation with anyone,eye contact seems to weird, also I speak in hurry and seem overexcited and weird. I feel other person senses this tention too and avoid the long conversations.

I know one lady but she always ignores me in social gatherings as if she does not know me ,she never makes an effort to meet.she is really friendly to me on WhatsApp and always behind me,but ignores me otherwise which is really weird.she also contacts me when she needs some advice or some help or is extra curious about whats happening in my life.

Not sure whether this is pregnancy depression or mood swings but I am really sad.

Please help me .

Ankita2017 likes this.

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Op.social anxiety is not a big problem. Try to contact counsellors if required. Try to be happy about urself. Accept ur self and repeat "I am beautiful,I like myself IAM going to get a good and healthy baby " always . it is a self motivation. Then u can slowly make good friends. Identify people who share ur way of thinking. We all go through problems and come out of it. It is a part of life. That's all.

momsky, Reshma13, lotusbud and 2 others like this.
  3. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Have you ever thought why do you feel weird or overexcited?

Are you feeling insecured ? Scared ? Threatened ? Are they too pretty ? Over qualified ? Richer ? Some thing ? Anything ?

Or is it just about you being the newbie ?
    Everyone stares at you when you talk ?

Make short conversations or observe till you feel you are ready to talk. Keep it short and not long enough to show your discomfort.

You don't necessarily need to look into their eyes when you talk, look for a second, look away like you are thinking n talking or look around. You will soon find something that you work.

Forming a group, you can pick a few people you like, and form a group. A few members maybe part of other groups too, that's common.

Joining an existing group Is good too. It may feel like catching up till you start feeling comfortable. Because they already know each other n you are the new one. They will talk about old memories, past trips n moments n stuff like that. Be closer to someone n you can catch up on popular experiences.

This is like joining in a new office / a new team. You would put in the effort to catch up n mingle n be a part of team right ? Similarly this takes effor too.

Maybe this lady knows about your social anxiety so tries to avoid face to face or social interactions.
    Whatsapp is an easy way to communicate without any anxiety.
    You start making an effort to meet rather than expecting from her.

Is this the first time you are going through this social anxiety n getting along with groups ? Then it could also be one reason.

Finally, if you want to have a social circle, hang out, go out, make friends. It has to come from you. They have already formed their circle, you are the newbie, so all the effort has to come from you in the beginning. But soon, you will have a gang of gals too.

4. lotusbud

lotusbud New IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs.

sindmani likes this.
  5. lotusbud

lotusbud New IL'ite

I am really not sure about this,but I do suffer from low self worth .Why do I suffer from low self worth is something I am also trying to figure.

Yes,Mostly
    I have started implementing this trick now,lets see how it goes.
    This step is difficult.People are already having groups here and they are so comfortable that they do not want anyone else to come in. They also share different close whatsapp group and stay in touch with each other.
    She always comes to me for help.She will always be curious about things going on in my life and asks so many questions about whats happening. I always get a feeling that she talks about me to other people and discloses about my happenings. She has quiet a good rapo with other people.The reason I say this she tries to also tells me about other people. If I am helping her whenever she needs ,she at least should not ignore me.
    I think I had it already since few years but started to notice it now as I have time to think about it.All these years I was really busy with my career and hardly socialized.But being at home all day and lonely is making me guilty that I should have made some friends.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

if u r in a career, u r already into social circle. just little conscious effort you would enlarge your pal circle. all the best always.

lotusbud likes this.
  7. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You should try joining a social skills class if there is one in the area. But most important of all is to work on building your self esteem. Once you have a child you will be busy but you will also have to make attempts at socializing to set play dates etc . So try to work on your self esteem now. You can join any classes etc that force you to interact with others. If eye contact makes you uncomfortable , look at the forehead or the nose of the person you talk to or look away at brief intervals.
    If you suspect the lady in your community is gossiping about you refrain from giving her too much information. Don't feel bad about not being a part of the groups, you can try but if it doesn't work not the end of the world. It's hard to infiltrate a group when the members have a cliquish behavior, so make friends outside . Start small with one on one socializing . Maybe at home where you are more comfortable . Once you feel better move on to socializing with larger groups . But again one does not need to have lots of friends to be happy. A few genuine ones and you should be ok. Make sure you pursue hobbies so you are not overthinking all this.
    Good luck !

sindmani and salad like this.
  8. lotusbud

lotusbud New IL'ite

Thanks ..I will try implementing the steps you suggested.

sindmani likes this.
  9. anonyman

anonyman New IL'ite

@lotusbud as someone who suffers from spcial anxiety, I understand the inability to socialize and feeling on edge. Its terrible really... Propranolol worked for me for a bit in that it takes the physical symptoms away, but soon lost the effect.