So, What Do You Feel Guilty About?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do. - Voltaire

What do you feel guilty about? Something you did? Maybe something you did not do?

Do share. We will read and we will be kind. We will not judge. Who are we to judge? We have erred too.

As Oscar Wilde said, "There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution."

Share freely with scant inhibition.

SGBV, Amica, SinghManisha and 4 others like this.

2. Rihana

I shall go first. : )
    This morning it was freezing cold, and I woke up earlier than usual. I let the water flow from the sink faucet till it was warm. Have always been taught to not waste water. Felt very guilty. I can make a system by which we store the water in a bucket or something rather than let it go to the drain. Bad, bad, bad of me.

I know this is kind of a lame one. Will share more as they come to mind.

3. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

My decision as a 24 yr old to follow my husband to an alien land!! Guilt that I did not think through the consequences of choosing to make a life in a far off land, away from my parents, as they grow older. Guilt that I naively thought that we could go back when the kids are a little older and that we can fit right back in.

And it's not even like I am stuck in a bad marriage or anything. But still, the guilt never cedes.

You probably weren't looking for anything this heavy, but this came at a time when something else triggered a fresh wave of guilt, and here I am :-(

SGBV, Zxcv, SinghManisha and 11 others like this.
  4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

The fact that I only get to see my parents and family every 2 years or so. Yes, it is a choice I made and I cannot move back but it sucks especially the older we all get. All the Skype and WhatsApp in the world cannot fully compensate.

Amica, SinghManisha, Giri12 and 5 others like this.
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Ri.hahahah...na !! How do you manage to think up such things ? Blaming Voltaire and Wilde as well.
    In one old western movie, there was a hanging scene (Bruce Dern as the villian hanging Roscoe Browne, the trail cook). Except for that scene's line from Roscoe Browne, where he recalls his feelings of guilt, the rest of the movie was the usual fare.

I thought of things; but then these turned out to be regrets and not guilts, as in, choosing option A, and not option B. Like not taking extra curricular language learning seriously when I was a child, and now I cannot enjoy *ollywood songs/movies.

I will put in a think, and come back later.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  6. Rihana

Dash of Amul, do you feel guilty if you do not include a video in a post? o_O

7. Rihana

Hmmm........ I sometimes wonder when, if ever will guilt from this category strike me. So far have been at peace with some choices made and bridges burnt.

Amica, MalStrom and anika987 like this.
  8. Rihana

It is more like choosing Option A, not Option B, as Prof. Amulet kindly explained... Couple of times, chose to be right rather than save a friendship. Have looked back at it over the years. Sometimes there is guilt/regret, sometimes there is a "well, it was not meant to be. if it was strong enough, wouldn't have ended."

Amica, Giri12 and Laks09 like this.
  9. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Drinking boba daily the past ten days in the name of bonding with DD. Both of us don’t need the sugar.
    Eating all those cookies and candies that came with various guests I hosted. Why do people bring edibles? I also have an overflowing bar. Wine bottles of all kinds sitting there when both of us have taken a break. I tell you some people are my friends to make me suffer.

cheenu123, radv, Rihana and 5 others like this.
  10. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Lately, I feel very guilty about not spending enough time with elders in my family.

Specially, my grand parents and now, my mom. My mom and I cannot carry a conversation far too long, it ends up usually in an argument. We fight / argue about some useless things and I wouldn't call her for few weeks, now and then. It starts all over again, the yo-yo cycle repeats, as far as I could remember in last few decades.

She had me when she was 19 years old, I cannot imagine taking care of a baby at that age. No wonder, I was sent to live with my grandparents. I have that Frenemy relationship with my mom since from my childhood.

Now, she lives with my bro's family and my sisters take her to health check ups / social events etc. After my dad, she doesn't leave the house that often, unless it is really unavoidable.

Few months ago, she said, 'everyone around me is so busy, no one has time to talk to me and you are the only one talking to me for few hours', and it brought me to tears;Usually, I call her around ~noon after the maid leaves and talk to her for more than an hour. We talk about all sorts of useless things, like local news, politics, who is doing what, complaints about SIL, gossip about our relatives etc.

No matter what, I will make that mid-night call at least few times a month. Who will talk to me, when I am at her age?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    cheenu123, rosylife, SGBV and 12 others like this.