1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

so, ideally how should we live?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by monita, Jan 12, 2011.

1. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Post after post after post, there have been same issues we must live with our parents/in-laws and look after them. Often a woman wonders why should only a man's be looked after and not a woman's when both sets of parents toiled equally hard to bring them up. And often she gets the answer that of course she should look after her parents too.
    Often it is suggested that a couple should live close to both sets of parents so that they can give them care. However, this doesn't seem to be enough. My MIL lives with us. She is perfectly healthy but expects me to do everything for her and I am sure there are many like her. I cook for her serve her and do everything. I wonder when I am doing it for her why mustn't do it for my mother as well. But people, how is it possible for a woman to serve lunch to her mother as well as her MIL at the same time. Even if I am doing my duty as a DIL, I am clearly not doing it as a DD. What is the solution to this? Would like to know your views please.

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

My opinion is, unless parents are too old and sick to do it for themselves, they should be making their own lunch and taking care of their own households.

Think of it this way.... if I have a child, I won't mind changing their diaper when they're small and can't do it themselves. But when that child is 15 years old and fully capable, I surely don't want to be in the bathroom with them cleaning up his or her behind.

Me and my dh live seperately from all parents and siblings. And everyone makes their own lunch. And we're all doing just fine. :)

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

dear monita,

i know it is a problem a lot of women are facing. it is indeed sad, that education has not done much to alleviate the injustice done to them. it is laudable, that you wish to take care of your mother :clap. however, i cannot say that all women show a burning desire to look after their parents. there are women i know, who shrug off the responsibility of looking after their aged parents, saying that it is the son's duty to look after the parents :hide: or that they are aged too and not in a position to take of their parents.

that apart, don't you think it is upto the woman to take a firm stand and say she also owes a duty to her parents? i do not know how old your mother is. does she stay close to your place? is she in need of immediate care? i think, if both of them (ma and mil) are healthy and in a position to take care of themselves, why not allow them to do so till such time they need help. then when the time comes, whoever needs help first gets looked after first. if such a time comes, then you will need to work out a situation where you can take care of both. do you think that your dh or mil will have an issue with that? have they said that you may not take care of your mother? does your mother live alone? if that is the case, you will have to make your point quite clear to them - when the time comes. if both your mil and mother are ok as of now, why are you already getting upset about this?

as for mil, if she is living with you, and if she is fit enough, let her chip in and help you out. go out to work and she will have to do so. as for cooking for her and looking after, don't we do that for anyone who lives with us under her roof?

4. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

ASG, I appreciate your honesty. What you and satchitananda said makes lot of sense. However, On this very forum you come across many posts where people imply that people around 50 yrs of age should be taken care of by their children and should not be having to do anything since they have worked hard all their life. More often than not these people are not taking care of either their parents or their Ils. Recently I came across this group on facebook " Stop putting your parents in *OLDAGE HOME*,how can u forget wat they did fr u". Quite astonishingly all the people I know who have joined the group are neither taking care of their parents nor their ILs. So, clearly they expect their siblings to take care of their parents.

I recently came back from India and I noticed there's so much resentment in people regarding this issue. The children who are looking after their parents feel they shouldn't be having to while the siblings are enjoying their lives. Many sons are moving out of their parents house even if they are in the same city and this causes a lot of resentment among parents and the community in general.

satchitananda, I cited my MIl's case just as an example. I know how handle her and my DH if I need to go and take care of my parents.

5. satchitananda

monita,

i am glad to hear that. the suggestion was well meant.

by the way, many parents these want their independence too and do not want to stay with their children as far as possible. each one wants to be that way. my mom stayed on her own for 5 years after my dad passed away. then at the age of 80 she started showing signs of onset of senile dementia. that is when we had to force her to come and stay with us turn by turn. with medication she is alright, but not good enough to be left on her own. at 82, she still insists that she is capable of looking after herself and wants to stay on her own in her own house.

apart from that, i really think, if older people do not stay active as long as they can, they will start showing signs of deterioration - physically and mentally - much earlier than otherwise. so by looking after them from age 50, we are not necessarily doing them a favour. a bit of prudent balance is very important in such matters.

6. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

I know some people who want to live independently even when they are old. Some of them because they want their own freedom while most because they don't feel welcomed in their children's home. However most parents who have to live alone resent that they have to. On top of that there is community pressure. People assume that if somebody's parents; especially if they have son(s);are living alone then there has got to be something wrong.
    My MIL lives with us. On the outside we seem like such dutiful couple that we are looking after the old woman, while on the inside I resent every moment of having her with us. Neither is she happy as I don't let her control my life.
    Most people, especially people living overseas or people living elsewhere go on making excuses- we can't have a career in India, children don't have a future in India, we have already done enough, we wish but we can't. Nobody ever says we are living alone because we want to. Why can't we for once be honest and admit that we want to live apart from our parents?

7. satchitananda

sadly but truly, we lack the innate honesty and the courage to admit to that.:bonk

8. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

My mom is about 52 and would be so offended if I implied that she needed to be 'cared' for at this point in her life. She is still taking care of others as a volunteer at our local hospital. She still goes out with friends and all the ladies on her street get together for exercise groups and activities. So.... I have a hard time with parents in their 50's expecting live-in help from their children. I know people age at different paces. But COME ON, 50 is old ?!? When my dh is 50, his children will be about 10 years old!!! That'll be the prime of our lives! So, should he sit at home all day and enjoy his "twilight" years while me and the kids do other "young people" stuff? Sounds ridiculous to me.

I think Indian elders get mentally old way before they get physically old. Meaning some start expecting joint family setup even when they are still able to care for themselves. My grandfather was able to look after all of his own needs until he hit 85. From that point on, he needed help, and we ALL stepped up to help him in whatever way he needed. At one point he did go in a nursing home (i.e. "old age home") but that was only because he had severe heart problems and needed medical care around the clock while he was recovering.

9. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

A good thread !
    But one should not compare parents and in laws and feel resentful.
    Some people think that 50 is old, the MIL/Mom should stop using cosmetics, dressing nicely , shopping etc . Visiting a beauty parlour will invite sniggers .According to them as soon as a lady turns into a MIL she should start praying and lead a retired life , do holy things. Go for pilgrimmages instead of trips to Goa !
    But in smaller cities this is exactly how people in their 50s are treated . So they need looking after !!!!!!
    In metros its a different story . There MILs and Moms are wearing trendy clothes, seeing movies , shopping , going for coffee etc. Sometimes a MIL /Mom is better turned out than youngsters.
    They live to the fullest , are open minded and love to live away from DILS etc.
    Its all in the mind.
    But all old people are different , some are smart and resourceful, others are not and need looking after.
    But during deliveries the DDs/DILs want the old Moms and MILs to cosset them .
    Yes siblings do feel hemmed in if parents live with them. But why compare a widowed MIL living with her son and feel resentful ?
    If there is no brother then its assumed that the DDs will take care of their parents as they will be inheriting everything too.

10. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Nice analysis, flowerlady. However, I have noticed that these days older people are not too interested in praying and spiritual activities. They want to look good. they want to go to parties and enjoy life but they want to give up the responsibilities in life.
    My MIL is an extremely sharp and capable woman. So, it's not that she needs looking after.
    My mother is a champion swimmer and springboard diver. At the age of 66, she still enthusiastically participates in springboard diving.Quite obviously when she is fit enough to do springboard diving she can take care of other things as well. But, she has been hinting that they want to live with us or one of my siblings. I have to say I wouldn't be happy to have my parents with us, especially when my MIL is already living with us. I would much rather leave my family and go and live with them. If we are expected to sacrifice our happy married life, we might as well sacrifice our married life. Big deal, right?!!

I wouldn't if I wasn't married to that son. You make it sound like it's all about a mother and son, there is no DIL in the picture.
    So, are you saying that if parents have nothing to leave behind, nobody should look after them ? coming to the issue of inheritance, DDs have equal share in parents property as sons. These days many daughters fight for their share in the property and many parents insist that the daughters should get equal share however when it comes to sharing responsibility, only the sons are expected to do everything.