1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Snoring...how Have You Dealt With This ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Amulet, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

As you get older... ... [ this sentence is completed in so many different ways, in such a lot of threads, here is a variation of the same theme] you might experience snoring. Either your own, or someone else's who is sleeping not too far from you.

What do you do? Snoring right back at the snorer is an easy solution.
    However, if awake because of the snoring of the party of the 2nd part, then what ?
    We have used those elastic nostril widener at home, and on the longhaul flights. We still do, if we remember to refill when visiting the drug store. If not, I just move to another room.

We have also tried chin straps at home. Even with these an occasional hurrumph, or sigh-whistle gets through. The problem is mostly to the one that is a light sleeper.

[​IMG]
    Works better if a single one is put on top of the front of the nose. This has a stiff plastic flat-stick inside the dumb-bell shaped stickie plaster. In sticking it over the nose, the stiff plastic is bent slightly, and it wants to spring back to its original shape, thus helping to keep the nostrils wide open. This is often used by people playing sports that involve hard running cardio exercise.

And now there is a tech-gadget (costs $300) that raises the pillow (and that is supposed to adjust the breathing tube to open wider) and stops the snoring. I got curious, but I am certainly not buying this. I am not one of those early-adopters of technology.... no rotomatic at home yet.

SinghManisha and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Gosh, after all these years, I cannot sleep without his special effects. No wonder I walk around like a sleep-deprived zombie when he isn't around. I miss the snoring the most on really stressed out nights. I would like to think that it reminds me he is around to "take care" of all my worries and I can have a long and peaceful sleep. My friend calls him the white noise maker, without whom I cannot sleep at all!

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You are lucky in one more way.:thumbup:

I know your kind. The unmarrieds of this phenotype buy CD records of sleep sounds -- rustling winds, babbling brooks etc..-- usually some outdoorsy noise, to get to sleep. Water running sound would be like chinese torture for me; and on top of that, I'd have to get up to go to the toilet if that kind of water running noise keeps on.:facepalm:

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Snoring.. lol.. it’s been quite a funny topic with us.

When I first told my dh that he snores, he refused to believe. Then I recorded n played. Still reluctant. Then I kicked him, pushed him, pinched his nose, basically anything to make the loud snoring stop, but it will last only for a few mins.

He tried strips, clips, steaming, warm milk, etc etc - went to doctors, one even suggested surgery. Nothing works permanently. More than a decade of marriage I still wake up in the middle of the night due to his loud snoring. He said that he is ok to sleep in another room, but I said no. I have gotten used to it, regardless of how annoying it can be at times, n it stopped bothering me long time go.

SinghManisha, Thyagarajan and Amulet like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Causes could also be some one began his sermon in an assembly large or small.

2. I was compelled to join a Satsang and amidst around forty or fifty I was the one get embraced by sleep when time was around six on sat evening. The roaring sound from me disturbed them and there bhajan with cymbals least disturbed me.! I had sweet memories of it as layer my sweet heart was very sweet with me.
    3. When I was school going lad, father after long returned from his three months tour and in the middle of my sleeping night I got bewildered as high decibel noise emanated from daddy’s throat . It was vibratory and closely resembling the roar of the forest king lion.
    My mom known for her bravery throughout, dashed to his foot side and strongly pulled his big toes alternately. Viola! The decibel decreased diminished and dad stopped disturbing my sleep.
    He never gone for any treatment . Toes pulling had cleared him from APNEA.
    4. DIVORCES HAD TAKEN PLACE AROUND THE GLOBE.
    5. SNORE FOUND PLACE IN Jonathan Swift’s gulliver in Lilliput and in Brobdingnag Lilliputians described to pass through left and return through right nostril.
    6. Out of extreme distress spouse turns violent to strangulate the partner, who snores DEEP!!!
    7. It would be rewarding at the time of horoscope matching - Beware and aware of partners snores or not before wedding and forecast about his or her snoring after some years of marriage and when obese sets in and so on and so forth....

upload_2019-4-6_17-19-23.jpeg

God helps the snorer with C12H22-o11.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  6. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

It is a difficult to deal with situation; tempers rise and egos are easily bruised. Can one get sleep with a contraption on? May be. @Amulet, please enlighten me further on this, you seem to have a lot of practical experience.:sleeping:

To me a minor discomfort, any ornament on the body or even a slight disturbance is enough to lose sleep for that night. Sleeping in a separate room is indeed a worthy try. Other simple methods are to use a rised pillow or sleeping on the sides.

Both of us snore occassionally, the decibels increase if the sleep is induced by the drugs! Then it is not our problem...:shakehead:

7. Laks09

Arre. I’m not that crazy. I used to wake up numerous times due to the loud snores as a newly wed. Now, it feels like something is amiss when the house is silent at bed time. I can hear the tick toc of the clock, the various critters residing in the tree outside my window and the water heater in the attic. All of those don’t bother me when the Mr is snoring.

8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

A modern love story with happy ending.
    Reads like a Rumi.:blush:
    All one has to do is to substitute tictoc-clock, critter noises, and water-heater in the Rumi quote:

Come to the orchard in Spring.
    There is light and wine, and
    sweethearts in the pomegranate flowers.
    If you do not come, these do not matter.
    If you do come, these do not matter.​

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Afresh and Laks09 like this.
  9. Laks09

Abhi toh picture shuru hui hai. It’s not ending anytime soon, hopefully.

I was making a mental check list of do tells and don’t tells when I have a talk sometime this week. I’m putting the “I miss your snores” in the do tell section :)

10. Laks09

I love this Rumi quote. I’m not even attempting the substitution but I’m feeling very nice to have made it to your list of picturesque poetry quotes.

Amulet likes this.