1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking Husband, Loving Wife

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Amulet, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This thread's title sounds like that of life-snippet that @Thyagarajan might write. It also seems more like a spoof on an oriental martial arts movie (2000) about "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

On this Valentine's day-2020, isn't time to engage in an appraisal ? This is like an annual appraisal at employment -- we do it once a year, and all compensations, including options (that vest later) depend on the results.

In a recent gathering of friends, we talked about the demerits on this performance appraisal. Unhealthful bad habits, and addictions came up pretty close to the top of the list. Even higher than EMA, in one case. Smoking and Drinking were always ranked higher. Working too much (coming home late everyday!) and not getting enough sleep -- are perhaps as unhealthful, and likely much worse than social/occasional drinking, but these things are never considered demerits. One friend, sends her husband out to the terrace, after meals, so that he could smoke out there, and not have the stench stick to her living room cushions/curtains. An intrusive one (younger too) in our group asks: " Do you love him?". The smoker's wife answered: "we've had three children". Not a straight answer!

I like the faint smell of certain aftershave lotions; when the perfume doesn't overpower. AS-lotions are perfumed alcohols. Like cognac. Stands to reason why many would want to hug a face after a nightcap, or kiss goodbye in the morning. But smoking ? Can this too become an acquired taste, even for someone who doesn't smoke ?

IMO, it would take a whole lot of love, and heck of a deep friendship, to avoid being lonely if one is a smoker. If one is married to a smoker, it would be totally justified to take up drinking.

[​IMG]
    “We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for a moment that we’re not alone.”
    ― Orson Welles

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:@Amulet
    Ok. You have highlighted my name to put me in spot light which in turn would probably put me in lime light. Thanks anyway.
    2. If it is smoke in love, yes I can easily write a novelette at least.
    3. Few of my bosom friends were smokers as bachelors and the day next of their wedding in one shot they eschewed the habit. It could be the effect of pillow talk. Once I asked one of them as to how they had picked up this habit. The answer was that “ from their dad”. I noticed their technique of lighting by cupping the flame till the black stuff fully burns and then wait for the flame spread to the stick (to avoid inhaling the burning sulphur ) whence they light it.
    4. The effect or affect of smoker in conjugal relation: I enjoyed reading what you wrote. I have seen some drink liquor but no smoking yet the couple seemingly love profoundly. Could be a pretence too.
    5. In tamil movies, it is a must- villains smoke frequently and allow a twirl to generate a ring passing Around the countenance of heroine. Habitual Smokers might offer halwa and strung jasmine bundle to his lady-love to try his luck.
    Thanks.
    Regards.
    GOD - likes smoke from Homa-Kunda & the smell of burning ghee with O2.

3. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Smoking and not getting-the-girl go hand-in-hand in Tamil movies :lol:!! I have seen movies where there is a health-advisory on screen when someone is either smoking or drinking alcohol.

Once upon a time, (vacation in Bali), I wondered why some Indonesian taxi's smell like old indian grocery stores in foreign. It turned out that the local beedi has cloves in it :frown:. That kind of stink would stick fast to the upholstery on the seats, and clothes and everything else. And would be very hard to remove. One could feel sorry for the Mrs. taxi-wallahs.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:
    Thanks for more information.
    2. The soot in Beedi smoke must be quite stronger as it lingers longer than cigar and cigarettes.
    3. Once, I gently broached the topic of merits & demerits of Beedi stink with a delivery man. I was taken aback when he told that his family -read spouses - likes organic smoke as cigarettes paper produces tar and more damaging to the lungs. I was appalled with his knowledge of healthy & attracting affinity to smoke. It reminded me of hooka of Moghul and their dancing count and harem.
    Regards.
    God - temples smell (fragrance) of camphor and incense smoke drives one to Bhakti.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  5. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Your delivery man survey only revealed that a smoker was willing to stink a miniscule amount healthier.
    As for moghul dictators controlling nautch-girls, and harem inmates, despite being stinky with hookah smoke.... all I can say that we are not discussing slavery here. We are only thinking about reasonably free women wondering why and whether or not to kiss an ashtray.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. Thyagarajan

LOL
    THANKS AND REGARDS.

7. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Erratum
    I see that I had scrunched up an old meme about the smoker and the ashtray. The Group Against Smoking Pollution (GASP) in USA was the origin of that phrase. It was printed on a button that people can wear to send a message to smokers who can see it's message.
    Reference:
    The Cigarette: A Political History
    - Page 181

Sarah Milov - 2019
    GASP chapters in places as distinct as Berkeley and Wichita sold buttons, bumper stickers, and posters with slogans like “Your Cigarette is Killing Me,” “Yes, I Mind if You Smoke,” and “Kissing a Smoker is Like Licking an Ashtray.”