1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Smile is infectious – spread it

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by greenplanet, Feb 2, 2010.

1. greenplanet

greenplanet New IL'ite

I used to be an out and out introvert. Seeking loneliness, remaining aloof. During my school and college days friends were there …but limited, with discussion hovering around just few specific topics.

I remember my first job. And how afraid I was to sit in the midst of so many people. I kept mum most of the time, talking only official matters …only when required …and only to those that mattered. That’s it . Initially people tried to become friends, you know, ask personal details and things like that. And I replied to the point. But from my side I never asked them anything. Same thing happened whenever I travelled with colleagues for any official meeting, No talks save the official ones.

I hated attending the office parties…the booze, big talk, all those put on laughter, show off. I shunned them, always coming out with new excuses …but at many of these bashes I was forced to be present for official reasons . Whilst there I was one among them standing amidst the many ….but inside I was all alone , just me and my world. No back pats, no handshakes, no embraces …no hi’s …that went all around me …without touching me. These became trying times …I hated it like hell…desperately waiting for an opportunity to quit … rush home.

I soon found that I was avoided like a plague both in and outside office . The morning wishes …small talks…all ended. People even stopped looking at me when they passed by.

I soon got bored in this work place. And it showed in my interest to go to office. My dad noticed this.

Taking me aside he advised me a few things.

‘Laugh and the world laughs with you, sulk and you sulk alone. He strongly emphasized on this one “Smile is infectious …so spread it. “ He advised how important it is to talk to others. Just a hi , here and there matters. Wish people and they will feel happy. If somebody is wearing something new compliment them on it. If someone is down…ask them about it and say few consoling words…. these things matter . Lunch time is the time to share …more than food…converse..it doesn’t matter small or big …just butt in with your share . Let them all feel that you are a part of the family. And most importantly smile …it carries huge weight …it can cut across many differences …just do it and see how each one smiles back. That’s acceptance for you…

I told him that I cannot see myself changing..nobody will accept the ‘new’ me . He just smiled and said “Change your job…start afresh …youth is on your side”

The first day in the second job, a new set up , and all new faces . I started with the new image and a smile. Putting into practice all that my dad had preached . It was difficult initially . But I persisted , Overcoming my shortfalls. “ Laugh it off “ dad had said . Soon people started noticing me and came to me for conversing. My friend circle grew gradually. I started attending all possible parties . Became more sociable. . Laughed and dined with them ….. I was ‘accepted’ in all the clique. My mobile phone was getting filled with numbers , ringing now and again.

Within months I felt new energy rushing in me, a new world opening up. I looked forward to go to office. Each day …a new day …filled with hope …optimism…aspirations .

Now when I remember back …it had all started with ...a smile …and it spread.

It made a helluva difference to me as a person.

Thank you dad.
    [​IMG]:wave:

2. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

G'planet - I am so much like you in person but when I write or chat, I am a different person. I still have not been able to understand why that happens. Is it because the person we converse with is not really sitting in front of me??... I dunno. I have to admit though that I have come a long way from what I was before but still not quite there yet. You dad's advise is fantastic and so happy to know that it worked for you. I engage in small conversations but I do not know how to carry on with one for a long time. I guess it is lack of self confidence in me.

A smile surely does magic!

3. jananirbk

jananirbk Senior IL'ite

Hai Greenplanet!

What I feel is it is always better to communicate with message in it (like ur blog), even if it is less rather than a blabbermouth!! I have faced it many times, after me talking for some 10-15 minutes, ppl used to ask, "sorry, I could not understand, can u plz tell me in gist what you want to say?" Hope u can understand how I would have felt such times!!! :-(

4. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Hi greenplanet
    I was like you earlier comfortable only in a small friend circle.But it was my DH who had done the role of Dad in your life.After marriage when we reached here away from our family and releatives it was he who introduced me to such a large group of friends he have.At first it was difficult for me but now am able to say I have discovered the real me after started smiling and sharing...........Not all of the people you meet become your friends but you can have from one or two friendships that are to be cherished.
    Felt your blog very interesting

5. feduptocore

feduptocore Senior IL'ite

HI GP
    its true that smiles are infectious infact I always maintain what my FIL used to tell me "it doesn't take any effort from you to wish someone have a good day with a brilliant smile even though its pouring cats and dogs"... makes the other person feel better and you definately feel good..
    Keep Smiling
    K

6. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

yipppeeeeee nice to see that you were able to make lots n lots of friends....yeah smile matters alot...I am on the extremes...I smile at anyone and everyone...even the cleaning crew at office or strangers who walk by etc..sometimes my husband gets scared and keeps telling me why do you have to greet everyone and anyone :)....but its really worth you can just smile n nod and make a good impression and friendly gesture!!!